Noisy Peavey 5150 solved

• Thread starter mtillem
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mtillem

Reaction score
So I bought a used Peavey 5150 about a month ago. It has a sweet ass heavy tone with any of my heavy guitars (LTD 7 string with EMG-HZ, SG with SD Blackouts, Ibanez RG470 with EMG 81/85 and my ESP EC-1000 with EMG 81/60) but I've been fighting a noisy ass amp since. When on the lead channel, with no signal, it is humming like a mother and with a guitar in the same room plugged in it feeds back like crazy.

I was researching online about this yesterday and found a way to connect my Boss NS2 to take care of this. Basically I run my signal, after my wah and Drop Tune (tone shaping pedals) into my NS2's 'INPUT'. From there, I go NS2's 'SEND' to my tube screamer (distortion pedals) to my 5150. I take the 'SEND' from the 5150's effects loop to a compressor to the NS2's 'RETURN' and then NS2's 'OUTPUT' to the 'RETURN' on the 5150. I couldn't play with this too much last night but shit it works pretty well. Might try the compressor on the other side and tweak the settings but that's all fine tuning, I'm just happy the hum and the feedback seem to be under control, not 100% gone yet but manageable. See the 'borrowed' image below.

vh100rnoise.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mop

Reaction score
Yip I found that took most of the noise out of mine as well. Closest to dead silent I could get with a 5150

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
That picture has appeared 4,897 times in SS.ORG :lol:

Sorry man, JK. :lol: Glad you found the solution. ISP G-String does this EVEN BETTER.

:metal:

mtillem

Reaction score
But I had an NS2 laying around, the ISP G Strings run for over $200 but it's on my wish list.

')