"Non-Djent" 8 string bands

• Thread starter Don Vito
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VILARIKA

Reaction score
EDIT: My bad, this isnt metal. Missed that part, sorry. Its awesome anyway :)

LITTLE TYBEE!! Hes a member here, plays a 2228 really really good!
They are all fantastic players/writers.

I've been trying to find this video again for ages, so glad you posted this! :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal_Webb

Needs more strings
Reaction score
Portal: I do not know how these guys have a following around here :nuts: Each to their own I guess.

Divine Heresy: The 8 string songs are pretty much on the second half of the album IIRC. You can hear when Dino's using one, all that spamming of the 8th string lol

Scar Symmetry: Got their 8's after they ditched Christian. Dark Matter Dimensions isn't the best album they've done, and not entirely sure how much they used the 8's on The Unseen Empire.

Another way of looking at it is adding a higer string. Devin Townsend tunes his 7 Gb B Gb B Gb B Eb. Chuck a higer B on there and you'd open up some interesting sounds (Plus you'd have a huge range!)

From Strapping Young Lad:

and from his recent Deconstruction album (which is absolutely off tits btw, check it out if you don't know of his stuff)

Stealth7

Reaction score
Scar Symmetry: Got their 8's after they ditched Christian. Dark Matter Dimensions isn't the best album they've done, and not entirely sure how much they used the 8's on The Unseen Empire.

They used an 8 on one song on Holographic Universe.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Pretty sure Haken use 8-strings.

They're a really awesome prog-metal band in the general vein of Dream Theater etc. Check 'em out.

I'm talking particularly about the heavy bit from 5:00 on.

They do use 7's and 8's, although the one full time guitarist (the other doubles on keys) is the 8-string player, Charlie Griffiths.

Betterlaidplans

Lurker Extraordinair
Reaction score
Matthew McGhee. Pretty much all clean tapping on an 8 string. This guy makes some phenomenal music. Just YouTube him.

:yesway: to this^. I'm really hoping success for this dude so I can hear more of his tunes.

Wow. Completely awesome. Dude is way faster with his right hand than I think I'll even be with my left haha. Pure Win :shred:

Dimensionless

Reaction score
Yup, Meshuggah.
Djent is mearly meshuggah scat thrown 3000 miles away....
Where it landed on a hipster, with a positive outlook on life.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Ordered that Little Tybee CD. Can't wait for it to get here!

Latest posts

')