Non-metal bands that have great tone/sound?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
The tone on the Dirty Boogie album by the Brian Setzer Orchestra sounds incredible. Just the right amount of bite.

Also, Alex Lifeson often uses awesome tones.

European Mantra's Peta Lukacs (sp?) has fantastic tones, especially on their FAQ Alive album. And he plays an Ibby 7-string to boot.

Tool, and the 10000 Days album. Yummy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Almost forgot - Opeth's Damnation album. Those cleans, holy balls.

Hey, you said non-metal, so it counts!

Enter Paradox

Reaction score
Non metal ? Aww most of them in my library are metal or rock - but anyway here are some came across at this instant (a lot more actually)

The Flower Kings - Banks of Eden
Kaipa - Vittjar (lead tones of Per... drooling)

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah, Jamiroquai's bassist sounds incredible. That song Canned Heat (the one in Napoleon Dynamite) is another of my favorites when I want to hear really great bass sound. Him and the dude from Mudvayne (on LD 50 in particular) are the best examples of Warwick tone, it's so distinctive and great. I need to buy one of those someday.

timbucktu123

Reaction score
I agree about Circa Survive. Love them and their tone.
Coheed & Cambria as well. Claudio and Travis dial in some wicked rock tones.
Brad Paisley
Keith Urban
John Mayer
Muse
Senses Fail
All Time Low would be a personal favorite for pop-punk, Alex uses a Dual Rec, and Jack, a Stilleto... I actually used Alex's live settings for channel 2 on the 3rd channel of my old roadster for a long time.

i gotta agree with all time low their tone is just nice and thick

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Prince
King Crimson
Clutch
Blue Oyster Cult
David Bowie

Put my favourites in bold.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
Really dug the tones/vibe on some of the more recent Thrice stuff. Dead Letter Circus has some really cool tones too.

OneLazyAssMotherFucker

OJ After Every Fap
Reaction score
Bush-Glycerine
I've Always liked the playing in this song and have found I can never remember the lyrics but always have the guitar playing in the back of my mind when I'm thinking.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I really dig Rise Against's guitar tones, especially off of Appeal To Reason.

xethicx

Banned
Reaction score
I am a fan of good tone no matter where it is.

Metallica on the black album specifically had some of the heaviest most unreal tone ever conceived. The guitar tone on that album makes E standard sound MASSIVE.

SRV - the man had possibly one of the best guitar tones in the history of music period, everything was exactly where it should be. The man used 58-13's in blood E flat.... E FLAT with those strings and yet he would bend the hell out of them. Just incredible.

I am a huge fan of 90s era skate punk as well and that was when I first heard the Mesa rectifier and then promptly spent all my savings on one shortly after. A lot of 90s skate punk bands had terrific tone, like NUFAN, Good Riddance, Millencolin, NOFX etc. Mostly because they were all using metal amps heh.

I saw a post above that talked about Smashing pumpkins. On Siamese dream specifically I thought the tone was so unique and innovative. Not so much before or after that record but that record was pretty amazing.

There's a lot of hard rock bands that while crappy and musically not so good have great tone. Nickelback for example, HUGE tone, Godsmack is the same. While I cant stand either band, they and other bands in the genre have some great tone.

While on the subject of bands I dislike but have great tone, Pink Floyd comes to mind, his lead tone is absolutely incredible.

I could go on about great tone all day.

')