Noob Axe-fx Setup question need help!

• Thread starter Xifter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xifter

Reaction score
Let me preface this by stating that yes, I know I am a handicapped when it comes to recording and setting things up properly. So, I am sure I am doing this wrong but please be kind.

Ok, so I have this audio interface:

<!-- m -->M-AUDIO - MobilePre USB - USB Bus-Powered Preamp and Audio Interface<!-- m -->

Please examine how I am setting up and tell me what I have wrong done wrong.

Guitar -> instrument input of Axe-fx

Then,

Axe-fx output -> MoblePre USB Ch.1 instr/line input

Then,

USB of MobilePre -> USB in back of computer.

I also put headphones(that have a mic) in the headphone jack in front of MobilePre and the mic(of headphones) in the mic jack on back/rear of MobilePre. The reason is that I wanted to be able to use this for giving skype lessons and want both my guitar and voice to be audible during sessions.

So sort of 2 questions going on here...

1.)How to set it up so I can record direct to DAW
2.)How to get the mic and axe-fx to communicate with my soundcard so I can use it during Skype sessions.

Seriously, thanks for any and all help on this guys... I have been pulling my hair out all day trying to troubleshoot this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
You need to let your daw know that your M-Audio exists. Once it knows that, you set the channel in your daw to whatever mic pre you have the axe fx plugged into.

the second part with the mic, it's the same thing, thought i don't see why you would run a mic through the axefx for skype. its not needed.

edit: reread the first bit. guitar lessons, it's the same though, you need to let skype know your m-audio box exists.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
1) Look for something like "audio settings" or "options" in your daw, your interface should appear in the menus somewhere. Select it as your input device.
Take care in the same menus to choose "ASIO drivers" and not regular windows ones (DirectSound or such), download them if needed.

Most likely this is one of the first chapters in your DAW tutorials of help menus if you don't have interactive tutorials like say Ableton.
Saying what daw you are using might help for the exact menus etc.

2) No clue. :D This is likely in the skype settings where you will have to say to skype where the sound comes from.

Nozzle

Reaction score
Go into your audio setup settings and select your M-audio as the default device. Make sure that your M-audio is outputting the sound in whatever software it has i.e if it comes with a software mixerboard!

Xifter

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I had not set the DAW up properly which was the issue. This is why this forum is so great.

Now, I just need to figure out how to keep both my interface and axe-fx output1 to stop clipping haha!

Even at low volumes it's clipping. If I turn the drive too far down It doesn't give me the "metal" I crave and need.

Back to tweaking !!!

Thanks again guys for all of the help!

')