Noob-tard 8string ???s

• Thread starter usagi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
After seeing and hearing several of the 8 strings on this forum I want one too. I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.

1) Normally I tune my 7 strings to AEDGBE. So I assume I would want to tune an 8 string EAEDGBE if I want them to be in tune?
2) If that is the case do I need a different bridge than is standard on the Agile Intrepid Pro?
3) Would I need a longer scale than the 28 on the Agiles?
4) Would the 26.5 scale on the Schecter work for that tuning?
5) Would that tuning be too low and sound like shit?

Thanks

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
After seeing and hearing several of the 8 strings on this forum I want one too. I have some questions hopefully someone can answer.

1) Normally I tune my 7 strings to AEDGBE. So I assume I would want to tune an 8 string EAEDGBE if I want them to be in tune?
2) If that is the case do I need a different bridge than is standard on the Agile Intrepid Pro?
3) Would I need a longer scale than the 28 on the Agiles?
4) Would the 26.5 scale on the Schecter work for that tuning?
5) Would that tuning be too low and sound like shit?

Thanks

IMO if youre going to get an 8 string putting the 7th string in dropped would be pointless. The longer the scale the more tension there is on the string which makes everything sound tighter.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
People have tuned ridiculously low and got good results, so its just how good your EQ, amp and setup etc is. You can get a good tone in octave down drop B.

Any lower than 27" os just plain wrong IMO. The low F# barely handles that. If you're tuning E, you want at least a 28" maybe a 30" scale.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
1. Well, in the first question did you mean to say you tune to AEADGBE and you meant, on an 8 string you would want to tune to EAEADGBE?

2. Bridge doesn't make a difference what you tune to

3. Scale affects the overall tension and tension can affect the tone of certain strings. You wouldn't want a really loose B string on something like a 25.5" would you? So scale is kind of unrelated here.

4. See #3

5. Low A's sound fine with proper strings and tension but that Low E will require something hella thick to keep proper tension and in my opinion - will probably sound like a fart through an amp

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO if youre going to get an 8 string putting the 7th string in dropped would be pointless.

why would it be pointless? Animals as Leaders uses that tuning, I guess a few of Bulbs songs do too. Just use whatever you like, if his songs are written in drop A and he wants to add some lower notes, so be it

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
why would it be pointless? Animals as Leaders uses that tuning, I guess a few of Bulbs songs do too. Just use whatever you like, if his songs are written in drop A and he wants to add some lower notes, so be it

I said IMO. I personally bought an 8 to extend my range. Just seems silly to drop a sting down when youre still going to have a string thats lower below that:nuts::lol:. To each their own.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I've used the EAEADGBE tuning before and it's pretty usable. For low E on 28" 5/8 scale (think Agile Intrepid) I suggest you use a .080 as I've found it to be a good balance between tension and clarity.
It should still work on a Schecter but would be a bit too low tension IMO but some got good result still...

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
You wouldn't necessarily need a huge gauge anyway. It depends largely on your preferences. My 28.625" scale 8 is tuned pretty much the same as you're talking about tuning yours, but another half step down. I use a .068" for the low Eb, and it works great for me. I don't think it feels floppy or sounds flubby at all. I do tend to like lighter strings than most people around here, though.

String Guage and Tension Calculator - Version 0.1.4 - 26 apr 1998

That tension calculator might help you figure things out.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Heres a more user friendly tension calc

Hikky Z's String Assembler

Oh and it makes sense to drop a string even though your going to have a lower string because of diff shapes etc that it creates.

I don't drop tune to get the lower note, I drop tune because of the shape it creates personally. I would rather bar the powerchord than have to use 2 fingers for it.

Wound

Reaction score
I tune my agile Intrepid to EAEADGBE I use a 010 - 059 sevenstring set pluss a low 080. That seems to work well for me. Tho it would probably sound better on a 30" guitar. I am pretty happy with the sound I get, and the tension I have on the strings now work for me.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Going in a different direction...

I'm experimenting now with string gauges on my FM-408, with a 25.5" scale length. Currently the tuning is EADGCFAD, and I'm really liking having higher tension on the low strings. Currently the lowest string is a .090; it's made by Ernie Ball, and is part number 1691. I think this is the thickest nickel-wound string with a guitar-sized ball end I've found; the larger guitar strings from O4+ are steel wound IIRC. The tuner end is tapered, but the untapered part ends above the nut, so I don't have to do any alterations to the string, tuner or to the string-through-body hole or grommet to make the string work. The nut had to be altered to accommodate the larger strings at the bottom end, of course, and a set up done to have the relief, action and intonation adjusted.

Since the FM-408 has a scale length of only 25.5", it's relatively short compared to what some advocate for downtuning. I'm having good results, though, and it's interesting having an instrument where I can play all the guitar and bass parts on one small instrument. The tuning allows me to play either a 4-string bass part unaltered on the lowest four strings, or to play guitar parts on the highest 6, remembering to shift them up two frets to match the original pitch.

Since I'm having success with it, I am positive that a 26.5" scale length would be successful with the same low E note which you list and which I use at the 25.5" length.

For the most part, the tension on my highest five courses is around 12-13 lbs. each, and it ramps up to around 18 lbs. on the lowest course.

I can't find the notebook where I write in all the stringing information for my various instruments. I'll have to measure the FM-408's string sizes, calculate out the tensions and then post all the information. However, given how well this has worked out, it gives me more confidence that I'll be able to make the full fifths tuning work on the 28.625" scale length of my much anticipated Intrepid Pro....

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I've used a .070 for low E in the past (but I tuned standard EADGCFAD), while not perfect it still works fine.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I'm leaning toward an Agile custom, but it is nice to now I could make this work with an Ibanez or Schecter in case I go that route instead. The wife threw up her arms in disgust. "You havn't even got your guitar from KXK and you're already planning the next one?" That's pretty close to verbatim. :)

Demerge

Dimension Ripper
Reaction score
to be honest, i have a stock intrepid pro, and i have it tuned EAEADGbBE and its fine, its not the stock strings tho, i have a 7 string set and a low .80 for the tuning. but the agile is more than capable of it.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Agreed. I have my 7s set for drop A, so why would I wanna have an 8 set so differently? Keep em the same and add another string and drop it the same, unless you hunger for pinky stretch power chords. With the way our songs are written I'd have no other option.

DIOBOLIC5150

Reaction score
IMO if youre going to get an 8 string putting the 7th string in dropped would be pointless. The longer the scale the more tension there is on the string which makes everything sound tighter.

I have mine with a drop setup like this. F Bb F Bb Eb Ab C F

It works great.

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
Awesome responses again. After seeing the price tag of Gallius' Agile custom 8 that seems pretty damn reasonable especially with the raves everyone is giving for them.

')