Noob tuning question...

• Thread starter Drumzilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

knuckle_head

Reaction score
Closer to a .030 and I'd be looking at a plain .020 - maybe a .021 on top. I wouldn't trust anybody's wound for what you're trying to tune it to.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Thanks again guys. I'm going to give the plain .020 a shot. Now I just need to sort out an amp. Ugh, stuff like this is why I'm broke all the time.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Update for anyone concerned:
Well, the strings worked out pretty well and thanks for all the help guys.
I have had to bite the bullet and accept the fact that the 6 string is just too hard to play with this band and the paws I call hands. The music is fast, and the guitarists do a fair amount of stretches. In order to learn these songs I'm sort of forced to follow their lines until I get comfortable enough with the material to write more distinct and interesting bass parts.
Suffice to say, I'm going to have to drop back to a 4 string. I'm not really using the higher strings on the 6 and I'm not going to be one of these guys that just has to use a 6 because it looks cool, regardless of what the drummer says. By the end of a practice my left hand is so blown out it actually stops responding to my brain.

All the advice is still a great help for getting the right string tension for what I'm doing on a 4 as well, so I really do appreciate the assistance. Now I have to go and browse the Schecter catalogue and find a affordable bass for a progressive death metal band.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
If you're looking at Schecter, I've got a stiletto custom-5, and they're excellent budget basses

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Agreed, but I'm going to go with something even lower end. I've got my eye on the Raiden Custom 4. Schecter makes tough, dependable stuff so I'm going to get something cheap I can beat the hell out of.

Latest posts

')