Noob tuning question...

• Thread starter Drumzilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the board but a longtime lurker.

I've got an audition coming up with a fairly technical thrash metal band (heavy Death influence) and I'm trying to figure out how to address a tuning issue. Bass isn't my main instrument and I'm not too sure I'll even cut the mustard with these guys, so a tuning that doesn't require a lot of mental transposition will be a huge asset.
These guys play six strings tuned to C#. I'm using a 35' scale Schecter Studio 6 usually tuned BEADGC. I run a music store in the mountains up in British Columbia Canada and it can take a while to order custom stuff so I'm stuck with the string set I have now: .032, .045, .065, .080, .100, .130.

I was thinking of shifting the whole thing up to a low C# and basically tuning it like a huge version of their guitars, but I'm not sure the neck can deal with that kind of tension for too long. It'll also kill my already beat up fingers.

On the other hand, if I drop my E to a C# it'll push my B to a G#. I'm not sure if it'll handle tension that low with the strings I have available.
I've had this dropped on me suddenly so my options are limited, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

knuckle_head

Reaction score
I was thinking of shifting the whole thing up to a low C# and basically tuning it like a huge version of their guitars, but I'm not sure the neck can deal with that kind of tension for too long. It'll also kill my already beat up fingers.

On the other hand, if I drop my E to a C# it'll push my B to a G#. I'm not sure if it'll handle tension that low with the strings I have available.

I've had this dropped on me suddenly so my options are limited, but any advice will be greatly appreciated.

A good C# string on a 35" would be a .118, and a G# under that would be a .158 - either or both can be done on your bass. The C# can be done with minimal setup. I have sets for a 6 - either traditional or balanced tension.

FWIW - IMO working an octave lower than your guitarist is the best approach - pursue the C#. If you find after a time that you need the B (G# in this case), it can be done when you're ready.

Edit; Look for sets gauged similarly to;

.118 .090 .067 .049 .035 .022

.118 .090 .067 .051 .037 .023

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Thanks Knuckle head! That's exactly the help I needed! I think going up to C# will make my life a lot easier when it comes to learning this bands originals.

ixlramp

Reaction score
If you end up having to use your string set, it's better to tune down by 3 semitones. A 32 45 65 80 100 130 set has the C G D strings fairly tight and tension falling off rapidly across the A E B strings. Therefore tuning up by 2 semitones will make the 130 sound great but will overtighten the 3 high strings. If you end up detuning by 3 semitones you'll probably need to loosen the truss rod very slightly since the neck will flatten out.

xiphiod

Reaction score
i used to play a cheap 6 string tuned up a half step with a band that played drop C, and it just never felt right. i would tune down before i tuned up.

have you considered asking the guitar players if they would tune down to B?

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
If you're just auditioning, play in your current tuning. If you're going to be playing with them, tell them your situation. If you've got the chops they aren't going to fuss at you as long as you take care of it in the near future.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Depending on how soon the audition is, putting a capo on the 2nd fret can make it easier. I've used a guitar capo a lot on my 5 string due to the number of tunings bands use.

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Oops. Double post. I needed to add more anyways.

One guitar capo probably won't cover all 6 strings, so bring 2 unless you're not playing very high notes. If you know you won't need that high C string, just put one capo on the 2nd fret of the BEADG strings.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys!
Tuning up to a C# seems to have worked, but I am going to need thinner strings for the long run. Being a drummer primarily and a guitarist second, I'm finding the 'oversized guitar' tuning helps my poor little percussive brainmeats deal with learning these songs on bass. I'm also trying to avoid playing with a pick and since my hands are more like paws I'm in trouble.
Why couldn't I have an intense love of Bob Dylan or something? Why did it have to be Metal? Damn my hands are sore.

MassNecrophagia

has no friends
Reaction score
If using a pick is what works, do it. Other bass players may give you a hard time, but most of us don't really care.

bennerman

Reaction score
If using a pick is what works, do it. Other bass players may give you a hard time, but most of us don't really care.

Yeah, I have been playing for 6 months and I still can't play with a pick. If you can play with a pick, you are a better man than I :p

Drumzilla

Reaction score
I'm just better with a pick from years of guitar.
Strangely it's the drummer who's giving me flack about using a pick. However, I bet I'll get more heat for bum notes and missed runs.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
OK. So I show up for the audition and they play in DROP C#, not C# standard as I was lead to believe.
I got the gig, but I had to tune my 6 down to a low G# and it was pretty gross. Sort of the bass equivalent of whiskey dick.
Can someone recommend a good gauge selection for tuning a 6 to drop C# but tuned like a guitar? I think it's C♯-G♯-C♯-F♯-A♯-D♯. I'm going to be doubling a lot of the leads in this band so having their full range an octave down will be a real asset.
Thanks for putting up with the questions guys. Muchly appreciated.

ixlramp

Reaction score
OK. So I show up for the audition and they play in DROP C#, not C# standard as I was lead to believe.
Oh ... HA! ... well done anyway.
You'll need a set designed for the drop tuning, that has the lowest gauge increased to compensate for the dropped lowest string. Circle K Strings have a huge range of sets here: Circle K Strings - Standard Drop-tuned 6 Strings
These sets are designed to have all strings at equal tension in a drop tuning.
Seeing as you usually play a .100 E, looking at the Circle K tension chart: http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart.pdf I recommend the drop-tune .118 set, all strings similar tension to a .100 E.
Or alternatively round these gauges to the nearest .005 and buy single strings of another brand.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Thanks man. It took some fancy finger work and I had to rework all the stuff I'd learned on the fly but I pulled it off.
I do weekly orders with D'addario so I'll be easy and quick to go through them, no I just need to figure out what to order. I'll check out that chart.
You guys are lifesavers. Not the candy though. Thanks for the help.

Drumzilla

Reaction score
Here goes: If you guys will yet again lend me the wealth of your experience...
Based on the tension chart and what I can get from Dáddario:
B up 2 steps to C#- .125
E up 4 steps to G#- .080
A up 4 steps to C#- .060
D up 4 steps to F#- .045
G up 3 steps to A#- .035
C up 3 steps to D#- .028
Any advice? does this look ok or did I miss something?

Drumzilla

Reaction score
I was only looking at the Nickle Wound strings, but that's just because They're all I've used so far. Are the Pro-Steels substantially different?

ixlramp

Reaction score
I've used both. The ProSteels are excellent, similar in their flexibility, but have a rough feel to them, i think the surface is textured to give a 'zing' to the tone when you pluck. Very bright aggressive growly strings but not harsh brightness. Good for metal. Long lasting.
Your gauges ... nice even tension with the top .028w a bit tighter. At D# the .028w will feel tight and possibly nearing it's breaking point (depends on the core). Or you could order a .022w from Conklin Guitars Snakeskins Extended-Range Bass Strings as a backup, they're designed for high F so should manage D#.
If you choose D'Addario XL nickelplated the .025w would be a better match tensionwise to your other gauges but it's possible the core may well be thinner it may be more prone to breakage at D#. There isn't a .025w ProSteel unfortunately. If you go with XL nickelplated perhaps order a .025w and .028w and try them both for D#? (i think the .025w doesn't appear in their tension chart?)
If you decide to tune lower a D'Addario tapered .145 works for G# on 35" scale, from experience it is low tension and needs a light touch but sounds good. It has 3 wraps with a big outer wrap, making it more flexible, brighter, more harmonic tone

')