North/South Coil on Crunch Lab 7

Platon

Reaction score
Hope I didn't miss an existing thread about this.
On the Crunch Lab 7, which coil is the north coil? The one with the solid bar?

I got contradictory answers about which coil is located over the cable exit. DiMarzio's installation instructions suggest the exit is under the south coil but a tech from DiMarzio e-mailed my that it's always the north coil over the cable exit. I don't have the pickup yet, but I'd like to draft the wiring right now, so I'm ready when I get it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gr8Har V

dimini....
Reaction score
the bar should face the neck. on JP's 6 strings he has it facing the neck, and guitarcenter.com says to have the CL7 facing the neck too. but i've seen him with in on his 7 facing the bridge. :scratch: i have mine in facing the neck and it sounds great to me... sorry if that doesn't help you

Platon

Reaction score
After listening to a number of clips, I'm planning to install it with the bar facing the neck too.
In order to get the wiring right I need to know which coil is where (in particular for inner/outer coil combinations). Another way to put it is, which pair of wires is associated with the coil under the solid bar, the red and black or the green and white?

Kiichi

Reaction score
I recently tried both and in another thread I posted this:
Since I´m a martial artist I´ll use that to try and illustrate what I felt they were like.
With bar towards the bridge it was more of a fury kind of thing, going at you with an open clawed hand trying to ripp you open. Lot of power, agressive, more open, at times a little outa controll.
To me this sounded a little better using the center coil split.

With the bar towards the neck it was more like a real fighter, who throws aimed attacks with his clenched fists at you. More solid, aimed, compressed, punchier, controlled, but less agressive.
This is also what I prefere all in all. Mostly since it feels more like I am in controll of the pickup.

Hope you can see what I mean with this ;)

Some also say that with the bar towards the bridge its good for rythm and only for extreme soloing, while the bar towards the neck gives you a more musical thing which is also great for most kinds of soloing.
Btw I can only recommend getting a Liquifire aswell and doing a centercoil slit for the middle position of a 3way switch. I think I am one of the only people around who did it as it it unusual and quite dificult to do (even the guitar tech I consulted since I was helpless was having lots of trouble and he knows his work. Even Dimarzio germany did not know how to do it), but figuring this shit out and getting the special switch etc. payed of in my opinion. Gets me a nice strat like single coil sound. Really best of both worlds.

Platon

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers so far. I'll install the Crunch Lab 7 with the bar towards the neck (also according to your descriptions), and I'll combine it with a Liquifire 7.

What I'm actually concerned with is the electromagnetic configuration of the pickups. I need to know which coil has the magnetic north pole pieces and which one the south ones in order to wire them correctly to get the phases right when combining the four coils of my H-H setup.

I'll be using a 5-way toggle (super) switch and a push-pull (or push-push) pot to get the following combinations.

With push-pull down:
1) Neck/series
2) Neck/parallel
3) Neck/series parallel with bridge/series
4) Bridge/parallel
5) Bridge/series

With push-pull up:
1) Outer coils/series
2) Outer coils/parallel
3) Outer coils/series parallel with inner coils/series
4) Inner coils/parallel
5) Inner coils/series

That's why I need to know which coils have north or south orientation else I'll end up with combinations that do not cancel hum. Probably, I just have to wait until I get the pickups and tap the coils to see which wires carry the signal of the individual coils.

')