Northlane Thread - New Album 3-22-12

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
Fucking awesome band! Cant wait for the new album, its gonna crush!

Also, would love to catch them live but Ireland takes ages to catch on to bands like Northlane!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gitte

Reaction score
I really dig this Song!!! What I really like is that its not like:

"I have to play faster and shred my ass off!!!"

I really hope they come over to Europe soon!!!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
You like them more than The Arusha Accord? :lol: damn hahha

Yeah they are definitely one of my favorite newer bands.
While I love TAA, nobody touches Northlane to me. Planning on a tattoo incorporating a few of their lyrics and visuals for later this year.

Gnome7

Reaction score
I don't understand why this band gets a lot of praise here. This isn't very good, it's really generic. They sound exactly like structures, who I also don't like. I'm really starting to get sick of the metal core/djent fusion. Djent was alright when there weren't very many bands playing it, not trying to be hipster but its becoming more generic. Now there are tons of bands playing it. It's like every new prog group is djent.

Chuck

Reaction score
I don't think they sound anything like Structures, personally. Structures first EP was good, really aggressive and spastic stuff. Their LP was pretty bad IMO. But Northlane doesn't really sound anything like them to my ear. Much more focused, more passionate, more "real".

But hey everyone has their opinions :yesway:

Gnome7

Reaction score
I don't think they sound anything like Structures, personally. Structures first EP was good, really aggressive and spastic stuff. Their LP was pretty bad IMO. But Northlane doesn't really sound anything like them to my ear. Much more focused, more passionate, more "real".

But hey everyone has their opinions :yesway:

Yes people do and I respect that. My opinion is a little harsh but it is what it is to me.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Note that I love Northlane and Structures, but I'm being as unbiased as possible:
Structures, to me, has a way more chaotic sound than Northlane. They're spastic and all over the place as far as genres go. But to me, Northlane is, like MT said, more focused, and they seem to flow more, while still having parts that kick you in the chest. They may seem like just another djent band, but I feel like they have something more to them than every other copy cat. Can't necessarily put my finger on it, but it's there.

RickSchneider

Reaction score
I'm still unsure as to how I feel about the recent releases. At first listen I really didn't like quantum flux, now I can listen to it but I still have a few issues. It's just annoying to expect a progression of what the band was but now to see that they have resorted to less riffing and more just rhythmic sections based on the open low string with atmospheric backing tracks filling the melodic void (while it may be argued that the songwriting have a better sense of flow and direction).

Not sold on the cleans yet either, the true test of that will be the next time I see them live. Don't get me wrong, I am still sure I will get a sense of enjoyment out of this record, I love a lot of simplistic chuggy bands like volumes and Bermuda, but to me northlane was a band where I could hear balls to the wall, hard hitting breakdowns, but also be dazzled by unique and refreshing riffs, which never sacrificed melodic interest and were never 'too' wanky or over the top. As I say, still optomistic, but I'm doing the cliche spoilt fan thing and sort of asking 'Where did MY northlane go!?'

Happy listening gents

noob_pwn

Reaction score
I'm still unsure as to how I feel about the recent releases. At first listen I really didn't like quantum flux, now I can listen to it but I still have a few issues. It's just annoying to expect a progression of what the band was but now to see that they have resorted to less riffing and more just rhythmic sections based on the open low string with atmospheric backing tracks filling the melodic void (while it may be argued that the songwriting have a better sense of flow and direction).

Not sold on the cleans yet either, the true test of that will be the next time I see them live. Don't get me wrong, I am still sure I will get a sense of enjoyment out of this record, I love a lot of simplistic chuggy bands like volumes and Bermuda, but to me northlane was a band where I could hear balls to the wall, hard hitting breakdowns, but also be dazzled by unique and refreshing riffs, which never sacrificed melodic interest and were never 'too' wanky or over the top. As I say, still optomistic, but I'm doing the cliche spoilt fan thing and sort of asking 'Where did MY northlane go!?'

Happy listening gents

I can safely say that within the other 8 tracks on the new record there will be something for you that fits the description of what you like. Worldeater and QF are worlds apart from some of the other tracks

RickSchneider

Reaction score
I'm really thankful you stopped by and said that josh, I remember you saying something like that on a thread after world eater's release, and atleast I know this is just another varied song. In a way it keeps me more interested to see what the rest of the album holds.

All the best on soundwave, I'll see you today

Kharem

Reaction score
Yo Josh, did you guys use the axe fx's again to record this? Just the video where you guys are talking about the writing process and your release ideas, Jon talks about writing a lot of it into pro tools through the mbox, so just thought you might have recorded that way as well.
Btw the Brisbane soundwave was fucking nuts, its awesome to see you guys fill that place so well considering you were the 2nd band on stage 6, was more people in there than there was for the rest of the day.

jackfiltraition

Reaction score
Seriously, the way these guys have marketed this new album is amazing and they really brought the goods to back it all up with. The bar has been raised to a level that a lot of young Australian bands are going to struggle to reach.

It has really inspired me!

Really looking forward to seeing them at Adelaide Soundwave.

tm20

Reaction score
Northlane fucked shit up at Soundwave today. Josh was playing rational gaze and i yelled Meshuggah! and he smiled :D he even played raining blood :hbang:

Rustee

†The Skyrim Bard†
Reaction score
Northlane fucked shit up at Soundwave today. Josh was playing rational gaze and i yelled Meshuggah! and he smiled :D he even played raining blood :hbang:

Yeah man they killed it in Brisbane, too. Never seen a local band playing so early in the day pack out a stage like that. I wasn't wearing plugs so I can't really comment on their live sound but the mosh was pretty nuts.

My mate got a good video of Quantum Flux:

Really kind of inspired me to actually put my foot down and try and start a hardcore band. Tomorrow's my first day of uni and I'm studying music production so here's hoping I finally meet some people. :lol:

Tyler

Reaction score

For anybody that hasnt seen this yet. Im not sure how I feel about this track, but I'll have to hear it on the album

Latest posts

')