Northlane Thread - New Album 3-22-12

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Got this gem in the mail today. #171/300!
580025_582834145060626_1210120416_n.jpg

Now I need to get Discoveries and Singularity on vinyl. And if, for whatever reason they decided to do it, get a Hollow Existence one as well.

Tyler

Reaction score

Seriously looks like so much fun both playing or spectating.

tm20

Reaction score
anyone going to the cd signing at 4pm at the Miranda JB Hi Fi tody? i wish i could but got uni :( you get a free poster as well

degge

Reaction score
Am I the only one who noticed how the reverb on the snare just disappeared on the intro of Worldeater? Atleast on Spotify for me.

Great album though, no doubt.

Tyler

Reaction score
After hearing the CD version of Masquerade it totally grew on me. The Calling, Aspire, Windbreaker and that are just fantastic. I cant even pick my favorite if I tried

Kharem

Reaction score
After hearing the CD version of Masquerade it totally grew on me. The Calling, Aspire, Windbreaker and that are just fantastic. I cant even pick my favorite if I tried

Hahaha ya I've had it on repeat pretty much since I got it in the mail and still can't decide which one I love the most, Windbreaker felt weird to me at first but has grown on me ALOT. Just feels like a really well written cd as a whole, the songs work really well together and the whole thing has a kind of flow or feel to it.

RickSchneider

Reaction score
Not trying to be a negative nancy, but i find myself with a few more issues the more times i listen to songs. The main things that sortof frustrate me is:
1. The vocals and also their production (mainly a personal gripe but some sections give me a really bad vibe)
2. The almost constant 'droning' of guitar sounds. With a lot of bands just using backing track synth and making their music somewhat more diverse (Periphery, Veil of Maya), it seems Northlane went for a more "real" sound by avoiding synth, while using backing track guitar to fill the space. For me it more often than not just results in a headache with the droning sounds constantly entering my ears. Just me?

I still bought the album, will eagerly see them live and look forward to the future, but this album doesn't seem to have a lot of longevity for me, personally.

ricknasty1985

I Am Hated
Reaction score
I personally think the band is only getting better... Nice to hear some cleans, I dig the vocals and naturally the guitars sound great.

Look forward to hearing what's next too.

tm20

Reaction score
loving the album, but my favourite so far is The Calling :D

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Agreed. That main riff after the intro is so fucking groovy.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I love the album for the most part, but I cannot get into Masquerade at all. I don't mean to be a hater, but I just find that track to be really cheesy. :shrug: I love the way the album breaks in, though, with Genesis and Scarab, and I also really like the Katatonia-esque clean break at 1:35 in Dream Awake.

Chuck

Reaction score
Agreed, Masquerade wouldn't be so bad if they would stop interrupting themselves with "ambient" sections. Drew's part is very solid though, as always

')