Not sure where i should post this but.....

• Thread starter dogtags1100
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dogtags1100

Reaction score
So the band im in wanted to add another guitar player. I loved the idea, i thought it be cool, and add so much more to are music but....
the guy is kind of an ass, he keeps telling me to change the tunning on my guitar. We both use sevens and im in A and he tunes his to drop C and has his low string as a G.

thing thats annoying me is if i play in C ill use my six..whats the point on playing a seven string in C? i really dont get the point

am i wrong? if not how should i tell this guy other wise?:wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
1st off, one of the dudes in Diecast uses a 7 and they tune to C standard.

2nd, he's joining and telling you to change? Na, son. That ain't the way it works.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You say, "I'm bringing you in, you don't tell me what to change our tuning to." If he doesn't like it, :wavey:

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Yeah if you were both starting a band I'd say compromise, but since you founded it, he has to work around you. Maybe down the line you can experiment with new tunings.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I've played in shit tons of bands in dropped tunings. Although some riffs are incredibly difficult to play when transposed, it can still be done. :agreed:

How do the other guys in the band feel about it?

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
tell him your fed up, tuning to e standard, and only playing green day covers.

dogtags1100

Reaction score
Yeah if you were both starting a band I'd say compromise, but since you founded it, he has to work around you. Maybe down the line you can experiment with new tunings.

yeah i offered to do that with him, and we did it one night. but it didnt work. he keeps going back to his tunning....:wallbash: claims it sounds better

dogtags1100

Reaction score
I've played in shit tons of bands in dropped tunings. Although some riffs are incredibly difficult to play when transposed, it can still be done. :agreed:

How do the other guys in the band feel about it?

i never really asked i told them id work it out with him. i should have went into his tunning more i forget that its not really drop C... i think it was more like F,A,D,B#,C#,E
i tried looking it up but cant seem to find anything about it.. so i guess he made it up and if you try to use power chords its good aweful..
he says tune to c then drop everystring 5 steps. he gets this woofy/muddy sound, then scoops everything to clear it up and it sounds like poop:nuts:

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score
I don't get it.
He is the new guy in the band, so he is suppose to bend over and go with what you and the rest of the band are saying.
To me it sounds like he is that kind of guy that thinks he owns the place and now everything has to go HIS way.

Tell him to either adjust and go with your tuning or kick him out. If he can't adjust he is to much of a pain and not worth keeping.

SweepsAllDay

Bow to Keyboard Cat.
Reaction score
If he won't tune to what you guys already tune to, don't put up with that shit. Especially if it's some ridiculous tuning you said he made up. He's already a problem and just joined the band? Now's the easiest time to get rid of him. Find somebody who will work with you instead of against you, yet still can bring some new ideas to the table. Remember that there are soooooooooo many guitarists out there compared to any other part of a band, so it's pretty easy to find somebody that you can get along with yet doesn't act like a controlling douche.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I say let him try to play your tunes in his tuning, and you play in yours, and if he keeps going on about the tuning, or if he can't play the songs, then dump him.

raximkoron

Reaction score
I suppose it all depends, a lot of bands have members that tune differently and they seem to make it work. Our band has me tuned to A-Standard, the other guitarist is in Drop-G and our bassist is way out in left field with his tuning.

I kind of appreciate having different tunings, and a lot of times it forces me to come up with something more creative rather than having two guitars chugging along to the same notes. However a lot of people can't stand different tunings as their mind is set to only how they tune, so teaching someone a riff or song takes far too long.

I do agree though, that if you bring someone in to help out with the band, suggestions from them are good, but constant nagging brings up the question of why they're there in the first place.

EliNoPants

Reaction score
You say, "I'm bringing you in, you don't tell me what to change our tuning to." If he doesn't like it, :wavey:

this, except that Rick used a nice happy waving smiley, it seems too welcoming, i'd go more the direction of :nutkick:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
tell him your fed up, tuning to e standard, and only playing green day covers.

:lol:

yeah i offered to do that with him, and we did it one night. but it didnt work. he keeps going back to his tunning....:wallbash: claims it sounds better

If he thinks it sounds better, tell him to start his own band where he can play that all he wants.

this, except that Rick used a nice happy waving smiley, it seems too welcoming, i'd go more the direction of :nutkick:

:lol:

Demiurge

Reaction score
You both should probably ask the vocalist. All the instrumentalists have to do is tighten or loosen their strings to transpose, but tuning lower may put additional stresses on the vocalist in terms of their range.

Reaction score
Don't settle for a jerk just because it is convenient for you. I say play your music, get renown, and then continue your search after you have fans sitting at home playing your songs all day anyhow. lol

But seriously, if a guy is hard to work with in the beginning then there is no chance down the line when you guys start spending every fucking day together playing shows and sharing the stage. All of these little finicky arguments will start to pile up and you'll probably split anyway. If the guy has ego issues, tell him to take a hike.

You have the leverage in this situation, not him. If you tell him that you'll kick him out if he doesn't follow your rules, then he will either suck it up and do what you say, or he will leave. Win/win situation man. And don't worry about feeling like a dick for saying all that shit to him, because he is a dick for trying to control your band.

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
I say...... what everyone else is saying.....
If this guy wants to be in your band he should try to be easygoing..
Drop A sounds amazing of sevens..
Get your band to back you up .Tell him to get in tune with you or "we cant work with you because of musical difference"
Thats how i like to end things when need be.....
If he is being this hard to work with just getting in tune, think about how he will be when a real problem comes up. :shrug:

')