"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Now that I'm back from the show, Lamb of God actually sounded fucking spot on just to make me eat my words; Mastodon were no worse than usual, but as Randy said, for whatever reason their distorted parts seem to not work as cohesively as they should. It's not BAD any of the times I've seen them, I just think it could be BETTER, probably all those weird chord shapes they seem to like. In all the years I've been going to shows, the bands who've sounded the best live consistently is scant:

Coheed
Paramore
Windhand

I can't recall what Lamb of God sounded like when i last saw them in '07, but overall, this was definitely one of the best sounding metal ones. I feel like Opeth also had a VERY good mix when they came around back in ...2021?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Now that I'm back from the show, Lamb of God actually sounded fucking spot on just to make me eat my words; Mastodon were no worse than usual, but as Randy said, for whatever reason their distorted parts seem to not work as cohesively as they should. It's not BAD any of the times I've seen them, I just think it could be BETTER, probably all those weird chord shapes they seem to like. In all the years I've been going to shows, the bands who've sounded the best live consistently is scant:

Coheed
Paramore
Windhand

I can't recall what Lamb of God sounded like when i last saw them in '07, but overall, this was definitely one of the best sounding metal ones. I feel like Opeth also had a VERY good mix when they came around back in ...2021?

Yeah, it's weird how some bands just don't manage to sound good live :lol: Even on the same stage at a festival, you'd imagine the bands to have somewhat similar sound and mix, but nah!

For example Tuska this year - most bands sounded really good, but then there was Dimmu Borgir who seemed to have forgotten all their guitars in Norway or something. Because the guitars were mixed so low, it just lacked any kind of aggression and I think that alone was what made them sound so tired. I'll be seeing them again next year apparently, so hopefully they'll sound better then.

Last year I was at a smaller metal festival with a lot of technical issues, almost every band had issues with monitoring and most bands sounded a bit weak or just weird for various reasons too. For example Ensiferum, who generally sound good, had this very weird Pantera-style super clicky and overpowering kick sound for some reason :lol:
Anyway, Brymir, who also had monitoring issues at the start of the show sounded absolutely phenomenal. Best they've ever sounded IMO. Apparently they couldn't hear anything when they got on stage, and their intro track just played and ended, there was nothing they could do until someone found the loose connection or whatever and they got to start their set. In the meantime they jammed the Super Mario theme and their vocalist did a super funny freestyle rap thing, so hats off to them for handling the situation even when stuff didn't work and for playing a solid show after they got it sorted.

----

Anyway, what I actually came here to write about: beard trimmers! Anyone have any extensive knowledge about said devices?
I have a 20 year old Braun trimmer, which I guess was the best of the best back in the day, but much of the parts on it are worn out and/or broken, so I intend to replace it soon.

It has this automatic cleaning station, but the locking mechanism on it broke around 15 years ago, so I removed the spring from it in order to make the contacts touch, but when it cleans it vibrates just enough that sometimes it looses connection and then you have to restart cleaning again. I haven't used the cleaning station in years as a result of this.
Then the blade covering foil thingy wore out and got several bigger holes in it, so I replaced it, but now it just doesn't shave as close as it did before. Also the on/off switch is very flimsy after 20 years of toggling :lol: Battery life is still more than acceptable though, which is pretty surprising for a 20+ year old device.

I read some reviews, and it seems like Braun is still the best? The one I'm looking at is a Series 9 Pro+. It seems to have essentially the same features as my old trimmer, but with all the upgrades that have happened in the last 20 years. The reason why I wanna buy the best is that hopefully it'll last as long as my previous machine, but then again I'm wondering if such a machine is overkill for my needs? I don't do any fancy stuff, I just want a clean shave as quickly as possible and with as little maintenance as possible (because otherwise I'll just end up not doing it, and then my wife complains that kissing hurts and then that just doesn't happen).

Last edited:
')