"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
Sugi guitars thread had me thinking, if/when you guys buy a high end guitar >$5k, do you guys take brand name into consideration?

I think a lot agree that once you hit a certain price point, most guitars are built pretty well, so I wouldn't think playability/sound would distinguish a guitar from others in that price range. Speaking for myself, if I was going to drop that kind of money, I would want a big brand name for resale purposes, so like Jackson, ESP, Fender, Gibson, etc.
Nah, fuck that. Word of mouth counts more. I dropped €4K on a guitar through word of mouth and it exceeded expectations.

I expect the rest of the world to catch up later and elevate the value of this one-off guitar. 😁

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Sugi guitars thread had me thinking, if/when you guys buy a high end guitar >$5k, do you guys take brand name into consideration?

I think a lot agree that once you hit a certain price point, most guitars are built pretty well, so I wouldn't think playability/sound would distinguish a guitar from others in that price range. Speaking for myself, if I was going to drop that kind of money, I would want a big brand name for resale purposes, so like Jackson, ESP, Fender, Gibson, etc.
The craziest thing about those high end products, in a lot of fields, is they tend to not be higher quality at all, just unique. Then you have the cool kids who need to show it off and give everyone the FOMO by hyping it over the moon. Brands have many different methods to develop this propaganda image of quality as a claim, with the real statement being how exclusive or profound the product is very basically. A perfume that's just a perfume, but so-and-so uses it and says it's good. A guitar that's just a guitar, but so-and-so plays it and says it's good. A perfume that's just a perfume, but it's in an expensive bottle and it's very exclusive. A guitar that's just a guitar, but it's got well figured wood and it's very exclusive. Same vibe, same thing. At the end of the day many customers seem to find out that once the new wears off and the old shines through they never really bought the final word in anything. Guitars are like people, quality is the only indication of quality- the other things are almost entirely superficial.

Last edited:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The craziest thing about those high end products, in a lot of fields, is they tend to not be higher quality at all, just unique. Then you have the cool kids who need to show it off and give everyone the FOMO by hyping it over the moon. Brands have many different methods to develop this propaganda image of quality as a claim, with the real statement being how exclusive or profound the product is very basically. A perfume that's a perfume, but so-and-so uses it and says it's good. A guitar that's just a guitar, but so-and-so plays it and says it's good. A perfume that's just a perfume, but it's in an expensive bottle and it's very exclusive. A guitar that's just a guitar, but it's got well figured wood and it's very exclusive. Same vibe, same thing. At the end of the day many customers seem to find out that once the new wears off and the old shines through they never really bought the final word in anything. Guitars are like people, quality is the only indication of quality- the other things are almost entirely superficial.
Big lesson I learned after being somewhat involved in automotive manufacturing is that handmade is nowhere near as good as a finely tuned automated process. People are extremely fallible, especially when they aren't paid enough to care.

Latest posts

')