"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd for sure rather pour it down the sink diluted than leave it around outside for animals to poison themselves with.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd for sure rather pour it down the sink diluted than leave it around outside for animals to poison themselves with.
I'll second this. I'm sure the intent there was harm reduction definitely.

It's still incredible how fragmented the policy is on this one, and I certainly wasn't expecting that as their conclusion.

I called the manager of the waste treatment plant to tell him about this. He was super skeptical and thought I made it up. I said no, I'll email you the link or I could print it and bring it to you. He said no, that's fine I'll take your word on it. But try not to make a habit of it and don't tell anyone else LOL

What a shit show. In New York and I'm sure other places, maybe it's Federal regulation, places that sell oil have to accept used oil. No idea how that not the case for antifreeze at the Federal level, or you'd expect at least with an ultra Blue State like New York..

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
If you can only find oil takers then put some oil in it and tell em you blew a head gasket. If you don't have a septic system and are on state/county systems you can highly dilute it and just pour it down the drain. DO NOT do the same thing with oil.

Very surprised to hear you don't have a dump near you. Mine will take almost anything, but has designated days of each month for certain things (electronics, batteries, old fire extinguishers, etc.) but they ALWAYS take my oil and coolant.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
"Don't tell anyone" lmao

I don't know how ethical it is to dispose of it in the trash, but when "Oops! What a spill!" happens, cat litter/oil dri works great. When my oil blows out of the pan at an unpredicted angle like a morning wood piss during the annual change (i dont drive much), I always use cat litter to soak it up off my driveway, let it harden, and double bag it for the dumpster.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Depending on the cat litter type it can be worse than what you're cleaning up due to additives. All the oil spill products are mostly innocuous clay, and regular white flour works even better by weight.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you can only find oil takers then put some oil in it and tell em you blew a head gasket. If you don't have a septic system and are on state/county systems you can highly dilute it and just pour it down the drain. DO NOT do the same thing with oil.

Very surprised to hear you don't have a dump near you. Mine will take almost anything, but has designated days of each month for certain things (electronics, batteries, old fire extinguishers, etc.) but they ALWAYS take my oil and coolant.
Yeah both county dumps (which in my county are just solid waste transfer station, nothing they house or process on site) will do normal household trash, reno/demo waste, tire/appliances/electronics (with a fee per item) but no oil or hazardous waste, with a lot of signage threatening fines/arrest for it.

Now of course that's just because i decided to experiment with doing it as ethically as possible as kind of an exercise. After tripping over the bottles in my garage for like a yeah, I was ready to empty them out in the well of the local orphanage if i had to.

')