"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jeeeeez there's a lot of unnecessary neck shimming going on in the world, then. smh.
Yeah it's funny how little-known that feature is, but understandable. If you just picked up the guitar without being told about it the chances you'd see the tiny little screw in the bottom of the stud are practically zero.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bodes

Reaction score
So wifey had Volbeat's Evelyn playing with Barney from Napalm Death screaming the verses, and Michael doing his normal singing for the choruses.

Wifey: I thought metal bands only has singers or screamers. Are there bands that do both? Can people actually swap between the two? thought they only screamed cause they can't sing too well.

Now I'm on a google rabbit hole search looking up who was the first band to incorporate both clean singing and screaming in the same song.
Wow! There are some really strong (incorrect) opinions out there...

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So wifey had Volbeat's Evelyn playing with Barney from Napalm Death screaming the verses, and Michael doing his normal singing for the choruses.

Wifey: I thought metal bands only has singers or screamers. Are there bands that do both? Can people actually swap between the two? thought they only screamed cause they can't sing too well.

Now I'm on a google rabbit hole search looking up who was the first band to incorporate both clean singing and screaming in the same song.
Wow! There are some really strong (incorrect) opinions out there...
So who was it? I would bet it happened very early in the development of harsh vocals. Does Celtic Frost count?

Bodes

Reaction score
So who was it? I would bet it happened very early in the development of harsh vocals. Does Celtic Frost count?

Screamin Jay Hawkins is the earliest I can think of.

Some of the arguments around Screamin Jay Hawkins (and artists of similar era) was people were arguing that they weren't screaming, they were just trying to be heard over the loud instruments... *Rolls eyes*

Apparently Fear Factory were the first to properly incorporate both "true (TM)" metal screaming and clean singing, because before that no one was really doing the real screaming and singing. This is according to a bunch of sites I clicked on.
Yeah, right.
It all comes down to what individual people think "true(TM)" screaming is. *Rolls eyes again*

It was a rabbit hole of people trying to out-dick each other.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Some of the arguments around Screamin Jay Hawkins (and artists of similar era) was people were arguing that they weren't screaming, they were just trying to be heard over the loud instruments... *Rolls eyes*

Apparently Fear Factory were the first to properly incorporate both "true (TM)" metal screaming and clean singing, because before that no one was really doing the real screaming and singing. This is according to a bunch of sites I clicked on.
Yeah, right.
It all comes down to what individual people think "true(TM)" screaming is. *Rolls eyes again*

It was a rabbit hole of people trying to out-dick each other.

Screaming Jay got really drunk when he recorded "I put a spell on you" and just went off the rails and it was a hit. He screamed because it was his schtick, not because he couldn't be heard (they had microphones then ffs).

Plus you have stuff like Boris the Spider from the Who where they use growls long before any metal band.

Burton's cleans are famously shit, idk if I'd credit FF with innovating on the vocal front lol

:shrug:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wouldn't call FF innovators for screaming and singing in the same song, but I think they had a hand in the early days of popularizing the format of screaming/heavy verses and clean singing/melodic choruses.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
this reminds me of the time I watched a video of Barney talking about doing harsh vocals and the only piece of advice I took away was "eat a banana" (in a british accent)

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
this reminds me of the time I watched a video of Barney talking about doing harsh vocals and the only piece of advice I took away was "eat a banana" (in a british accent)

I saw a video back in the day where they said the trick to screaming is pretend you're puking and that muscle that tightens up, tighten that up when you want to scream. I mean, I'm a solid backup singer, I have about the range of Corey Taylor on Iowa, but I've tried it enough nothing hurts,so maybe I'm doing something right.

I mean, I sang that Falling in Reverse song with Corey Taylor on it at family karaoke night and I got a crucifix thrown at me. I'm at least good enough to get the job done.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
man I'm so glad IG doesn't think I want to see that shit. instead it think I'm Indonesian/Indian for some reason. honestly if I have to see ads, seeing ads I can't read is the ideal scenario.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
man I'm so glad IG doesn't think I want to see that shit. instead it think I'm Indonesian/Indian for some reason. honestly if I have to see ads, seeing ads I can't read is the ideal scenario.

All those CRAFTED IN INDONESIA guitars you been looking at has your algorithm by the nads :lol:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Thinking about pivoting from just a tiffany blue finish on my Gus G star to a tiffany blue with black crackle over it.
Do you have a recommendation for a good crackle rattle can? I usually use Montana or Ironlak graffiti paint but not sure they offer a good crackle.

')