"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
The squeeze is finally hitting the US economy, or at least the corporate-consumer part of it. These greedy companies have been squeezing Americans for all they can since COVID and it seems like it's finally coming to a head.

McDonald's just posted losses. Across the fast food industry, value menus are making a roaring comeback.

I received a promotion from Discover a month-ish ago for a 2% interest rate to try to convince me to spend more. I just got an email from Synchrony (a card I took out 3 years ago to buy my PRS, paid off with my bonus 1 month later, then never used again) begging me to spend some money with some promotional financing. I now have 3 credit cards with 0-2% interest rates and I'm still keeping my wallet tight.

I just love the idea of these companies squirming as their profits sink.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
The squeeze is finally hitting the US economy, or at least the corporate-consumer part of it. These greedy companies have been squeezing Americans for all they can since COVID and it seems like it's finally coming to a head.

McDonald's just posted losses. Across the fast food industry, value menus are making a roaring comeback.

I received a promotion from Discover a month-ish ago for a 2% interest rate to try to convince me to spend more. I just got an email from Synchrony (a card I took out 3 years ago to buy my PRS, paid off with my bonus 1 month later, then never used again) begging me to spend some money with some promotional financing. I now have 3 credit cards with 0-2% interest rates and I'm still keeping my wallet tight.

I got the same Synchrony sweetwater email and laughed my balls off. Never used the card and never will most likely. I signed up for it a couple years ago thinking it could be a good option until I read the terms more thoroughly. I have basically same situation as you where I have two cards- both 0% for 18 months.

I typically use them to buy a guitar here or there and pay off within a month or two. The illusion of not dropping the entire amount at once makes it feel more palatable to me.

Curious to see how this all unfolds. If the U.S. can somehow get some cheaper grocery costs eventually, I will be extremely happy. That's really all I want. Household of three and it really is thousands a month for food for us. Every other day I feel like I spend $60-70 on groceries. I don't even want to tally up the monthly cost to know the true number.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
So I was reminded by another thread on here,

The technique I use for rough vocals (according to my wife it involves using your diaphram) also works for when I have a sore throat, if I do the thing to do the rawrz, my throat doesn't hurt.

All the tips you see about how to sound sicker when you call in...practice talking with your screaming voice...nobody questions it when you sound like Christian Bale Batman, say you have a sore throat and growl a lot.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I've been tempted to start a finance thread, not because I know that much, but because it would be really funny.

But I don't think McDonald's posted losses---they just missed estimates. Indeed, business is down, but they still earned 2 billion in net income for Q2.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Him and his only beef diet can fuck off. He just seems like a miserable cunt but I guess he does have some mental health issues, or so I've heard.

the beef diet is actually a metaphor, he is constantly seeking to fill the void in his empty soul with the massive beef that his nonsense causes between otherwise kind and rational human beings, like some kind of perverse beef-wraith. that's right I said it jordan petersen is a beef-wraith.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the beef diet is actually a metaphor, he is constantly seeking to fill the void in his empty soul with the massive beef that his nonsense causes between otherwise kind and rational human beings, like some kind of perverse beef-wraith. that's right I said it jordan petersen is a beef-wraith.
So what you're saying is Peterson needs an HBI to get through the day?

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea, coming right off the podcast it occurred to me that there's plenty of positive things in his core message, and yet, it seems very cuntish to dismiss the whole idea of being a force for good in the world when you get bogged down in arguments about calling people by their preferred pronouns, and when all the guys that show up to his talks are suit-wearing incel twats.
Exactly. When I first started seeing clips of Jordan on YouTube it seemed like he had some interesting things to say. It went downhill pretty fast unfortunately.

Oh fuck, I bet he and Joe were just edging to that conversation topic and how excited Joe would be to talk about hunting and eating elk for the next 45 minutes.
I think Joe Rogan eating only elk for a month or whatever is pretty dumb but at the same time, he didn't seem like a miserable cunt during that time.

If I feel bad for anyone, it's Jordan's toilet when he eventually does go to the bathroom.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Just finished the podcast. Jordan Peterson, 2:16:30:
It's like "oh those trans people, they're just striving to be free". It's like, you wait. You wait until you have one of them in your house, buddy, and you're going to find out exactly how naive you are.

Holy shit. The veneer of a moral crusade drops and you see a moment of like pure hate. He even says "buddy" in this super mean tone. Again, crazy this is on a major mainstream platform and not something I need to join Truth Social to listen to.

Moongrum

Reaction score
I live next to a smaller airport that does domestic flights only. If I were to fly out of that smaller airport to a major airport in the USA that then takes me outside of the country, do I have to do any additional security/tsa check when I arrive at that major airport?

I'm trying to figure out if it's better if I drive to the major airport in my state to do a direct flight and deal with that hassle or do a connecting flight from my local airport that's not crowded/easy to get through.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
1. Almost nobody has Crowdstrike on their personal computer - it's a corporate solution (and it is unwise to use a work laptop for personal stuff for a ton of reasons)
2. If we take "Crowdstriked" as a new term for having an overnight software updates screw your pooch, then turning off your computer overnight will only ensure you get "struck" during the day.
It was very clearly just a joke, but if you want to take it seriously -
1. In the age of work-from-home that line is very blurry. Lots of folks do work on personal hardware, or do personal things on work hardware.
2. If a solution is found fast enough that you'd skip over the broken update, which was the case this time, and has been the case with other problems, then you'd absolutely be saved from it. As I was. Because I use Crowdstrike. And I skipped over the bad update.

I do think psilocybin has potential for the treatment of PTSD, depression, etc when measured appropriately and I think it's worth looking into. I've never done it, but I support the research and testing. Do I think it caused human evolution? No idea but I wouldn't bet the house on it...
I always find it so convenient that recreational drugs are the source of all that is good and the cure for all that is bad - according to recreational drug enthusiasts. It's that one-two punch of being unfalsifiable but still plausible-sounding wish fulfillment that I just can't take seriously.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I always find it so convenient that recreational drugs are the source of all that is good and the cure for all that is bad - according to recreational drug enthusiasts. It's that one-two punch of being unfalsifiable but still plausible-sounding wish fulfillment that I just can't take seriously.
The body of evidence for Ketamine for PTSD and MDD is pretty good already tbh. There are plenty of legit studies corroborating its effects on patients with those issues. Psilocybin has also been shown to be effective, but the evidence isn't as strong.

tedtan

Reaction score
Marijuana is a pretty standard prescription for patients undergoing cancer treatment, end of life patients, etc., and I’ve seen reports that micro-dosing psilocybin, in conjunction with a therapist providing guidance/therapy, has a significant benefit for PTSD and some other psychological issues that it is worth further investigation. And this from a non-recreational drug user.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ime, a lot of that comes from people that do zero research and are only looking to justify their habits.

This is what my brain thinks when talking to those people:

Screenshot_20240730_102632_Samsung Internet.jpg

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
If Marshall was the sound of Van Halen and Soldano/5150 was the sound of Van Hagar... does that mean that Soldano/5150 is also the sound of Van Halen, because that is what Eddie used when he reunited with Dave?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Agree to disagree on my end. Some of the top medical schools think there is merit in psychedelics research for the use of mental health treatment. Johns Hopkins has a lot of stuff going on in psychiatry and behavioral sciences. I repeat- I've never used psychedelics. But I think to dismiss them is asinine compared to the other garbage big pharma is pumping out.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Agree to disagree on my end. Some of the top medical schools think there is merit in psychedelics research for the use of mental health treatment. Johns Hopkins has a lot of stuff going on in psychiatry and behavioral sciences. I repeat- I've never used psychedelics. But I think to dismiss them is asinine compared to the other garbage big pharma is pumping out.
Here in the UK, Dr Michael Moseley presented a BBC documentary on research being done at UCL Hospital, London, into the efficacy of psylocibin in treating depression and related mental illnesses. In the programme, he takes part in the trial.

It should still be available somewhere (iPlayer? Netflix?)

Latest posts

')