"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was reading new Tape Op, Steve Evetts was like "the last Poison the Well is really heavy even thought we only used AC30s", so I'm like cool, I only know the earlier ones, gotta' hear this...

It's not heavy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Was reading new Tape Op, Steve Evetts was like "the last Poison the Well is really heavy even thought we only used AC30s", so I'm like cool, I only know the earlier ones, gotta' hear this...

It's not heavy.

The Opposite Of December was a big part of my life back in the day. Nothing but bangers.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
The best comedy is satire that isn't intended as satire.

Screenshot_20240803-075356_YouTube.jpg

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
That reminds me I have to join Reverb again to try selling my Revv. Really hate using them, but it's definitely the best place to sell used gear currently.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
That reminds me I have to join Reverb again to try selling my Revv. Really hate using them, but it's definitely the best place to sell used gear currently.

Pretty much. I've never had anything last longer than maybe 2.5 weeks on there. The fees are preposterous, but the convenience is what it is. I forgot who on SSO told me to do this, but I started putting at the bottom of my ads, "this is also posted on SSO/Craigslist, etc so reach out on those platforms to negotiate" in the hopes I can sell it off-platform and make a little more money that way.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Very much not worth its own thread: Peavey Invective.112 combo:

Demo sounds like ass. Open-back. Wut?

Last edited:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
I started putting at the bottom of my ads, "this is also posted on SSO/Craigslist, etc so reach out on those platforms to negotiate" in the hopes I can sell it off-platform and make a little more money that way.
This is expressly prohibited in their code of conduct.

You, sir, have my utmost respect. 🫡

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Probably is, but I see ads with synonymous footers like that all the time and I haven't had a problem so I hope it stays that way. How I see it is that it's on Reverb to police and ID what isn't allowed and notify the poster when they have an issue and not just nuke a profile into oblivion over it.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just old (34) but as I'm here at the Mastodon/LOG show, I can't help but realize that metal shows really just don't sound great live. It works to a certain degree, like I've heard bands that sound like what you'd expect to a degree that you can get 75-80% of what the album is; but the vast majority, it feels like a 4-5/10 and you're more vibing along with the singer and the guitars are a wash because of all the reverb and distortion.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just old (34) but as I'm here at the Mastodon/LOG show, I can't help but realize that metal shows really just don't sound great live. It works to a certain degree, like I've heard bands that sound like what you'd expect to a degree that you can get 75-80% of what the album is; but the vast majority, it feels like a 4-5/10 and you're more vibing along with the singer and the guitars are a wash because of all the reverb and distortion.

As a fellow old, I couldn't agree with you more.

I'm no live sound mixing veteran, but it's very rare for me to have gone to a metal show and heard sonic excellence. Sometimes it seems to be the shitty design of the venue performance room, sometimes it's weird speaker placement, sometimes it's where I'm standing, sometimes the sound guy is wasted or just not dialing it in well, idk- the reasons vary. At the real high end places/big venues, I find the sound to be best standing by the front of house.

I remember back around 2000-2005, I'd go to a ton of metal shows @ the palladium and remember the NEMHF's sounding amazing. Specifically I remember Hypocrisy, TBDM, Dimmu, and Behemoth sounding absolutely incredible. But I wonder how much of that memory is just nostalgia at this point because in recent times whenever I've gone to The Palladium, the sound wasn't nearly what I remember it to be. I did see Wintersun at The Sinclair more recently at one point and I was pretty impressed with the live sound there.

Anyway, I used to go to a live show once a week religiously. But as I got older, I found that when I'm looking for a great metal sound experience, I just need to put on a good set of headphones and get in a comfortable chair or find a cool spot outside to post up/go for a walk. And once I gave up drinking, live shows became way less entertaining. And I'm definitely not going anywhere near a mosh pit again. The ninjas ruined that for me ages ago.

To date, the best sounding show I've ever been to was a roots reggae show. Go figure.

TL;DR - yep.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
It's very show dependent ime. Every time I've seen Slipknot they've sounded fucking immaculate. Same with Muse,Gojira, Behemoth, Trivium, and Dying Fetus. The worst sounding band I can remember was Tyr back on one of the early 2000s Summer Slaughter Tours. It was so fucking bad most people just went to the bar or outside instead of listening to them. It wasn't the venue or the sound guy since they were in the same place as Necrophagist, After The Burial, Dying Fetus and a ton of other bands that sounded fucking excellent.

Wayyy back when I saw Mastodon during their Hunter tour with Opeth/Ghost, they sounded good, but Ghost sounded like shit. The sound guy just swamped the vocals and ran the bass too high or something.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Comment on the top. Reminded of a conversation with my friends years back, talking about "Spirit In The Sky" by Norman Greenbaum particularly the line "Never been a sinner, I never sinned" while the band and entire audience are cooked out of their minds and probably all naked post-orgy.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wayyy back when I saw Mastodon during their Hunter tour with Opeth/Ghost, they sounded good, but Ghost sounded like shit. The sound guy just swamped the vocals and ran the bass too high or something.
I love Mastodon, but live all the heavy parts sound like they're each playing different songs at once.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Seems to vary a lot between bands. I've seen bands with tons of layering and orchestration (Cult of Luna) sound excellent live, and simple formulas that look idiot-proof from the outside (True Widow) sound a trainwreck live.

My personal low point as a concert-goer was going to see Iggy Pop and the sound was so bad there was a mass exodus halfway through the show. I passed up a 3-way bill with Melvins, Melt Banana, and Napalm death for that shit. I will die mad about it.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems to vary a lot between bands. I've seen bands with tons of layering and orchestration (Cult of Luna) sound excellent live, and simple formulas that look idiot-proof from the outside (True Widow) sound a trainwreck live.

My personal low point as a concert-goer was going to see Iggy Pop and the sound was so bad there was a mass exodus halfway through the show. I passed up a 3-way bill with Melvins, Melt Banana, and Napalm death for that shit. I will die mad about it.

Oh dude yeah the best sounding bands I've seen are the ones with the backing tracks, samples, and in-ear monitors going.

Latest posts

')