"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Semi-impossible but it can be mitigated. A harder finish with a flatter basecoat will hold up longer, visually. I've had pretty good results with 2k over black stain.

Interesting. I love the feel of satin black on my hand and arm but I can't stand the wear. Some cats love the look of the wear and I just can't wrap my head around it. Looks like a sweaty ass shirt after awhile.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. I love the feel of satin black on my hand and arm but I can't stand the wear. Some cats love the look of the wear and I just can't wrap my head around it. Looks like a sweaty ass shirt after awhile.
I get the vibe a lot of companies like Ibanez use a super thin lacquer for their "matte" finishes, and they do not hold up at all. Pretty much all the ones I've had get chipping/wear around the entire perimeter of the body. An awful combination with the sharp edges on their bodies. Also the random glossing, yeah.

You won't see a big company like Ibanez do it but stain or a single layer of basecoat with NO top coat would probably wear in a more appealing way. Something that looks like this over time:

received_784031136323414_850x.jpg

Moongrum

Reaction score
I get the vibe a lot of companies like Ibanez use a super thin lacquer for their "matte" finishes, and they do not hold up at all. Pretty much all the ones I've had get chipping/wear around the entire perimeter of the body. An awful combination with the sharp edges on their bodies. Also the random glossing, yeah.

You won't see a big company like Ibanez do it but stain or a single layer of basecoat with NO top coat would probably wear in a more appealing way. Something that looks like this over time:

received_784031136323414_850x.jpg
On relics like this, is that just raw wood? Or does the wood have a sealer that's not to be worn? Actual vintage instruments that are worn, in their case are they raw wood, or is just the top nitro that has worn?

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen the finish come off the weathered black prestige ibanez' quite a bit and it goes down to the wood and looks decent. I can also attest that the BTB basses have the THINNEST colored finish of all time. I barely touched the back of the neck with a micromesh pad to remove a burr and it went right down to the wood. I was so mad.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On relics like this, is that just raw wood? Or does the wood have a sealer that's not to be worn? Actual vintage instruments that are worn, in their case are they raw wood, or is just the top nitro that has worn?

Pictured definitely has a satin clear on it to lock it in, but I'm mostly referring to the look with the grain visible through the color coat and the black going right down to the wood rather than glossing/deglossing.

I've seen the finish come off the weathered black prestige ibanez' quite a bit and it goes down to the wood and looks decent. I can also attest that the BTB basses have the THINNEST colored finish of all time. I barely touched the back of the neck with a micromesh pad to remove a burr and it went right down to the wood. I was so mad.
True. I just don't get on with matte black that ONLY glosses over and stays that way. If it actually wore through that'd be fine with me.

Worst thin finish I've encountered on Ibanez is still the matte black on the RGDs (the 7421 and 2127Z I had, particularly the chipping around the back), and the matte clear on the poplar burl stuff like the RG7421PB, including the red stain on the back. Any of those three, just normal handling and they look like a bever went at them.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Worst thin finish I've encountered on Ibanez is still the matte black on the RGDs (the 7421 and 2127Z I had, particularly the chipping around the back), and the matte clear on the poplar burl stuff like the RG7421PB, including the red stain on the back. Any of those three, just normal handling and they look like a bever went at them.
Do you know what that finish is on the 7421PB and other Ibanez guitars? I know they've used it on the basses for a number of years too.... It looks so cheap and plasticy.

nightsprinter

Contributor
Reaction score
Satin black is my favorite paint job but that sweat gloss is definitely the reason I hesitate to get a satin black guitar

I love my charvel matte blue frost dk24 more than every other guitar I own to the point where I tried to only play it wearing long sleeve shirts to see if it would wear-in differently than with a skin-oil laden human arm chafing against it, but no dice. Still shines up. I'm just gonna have to buy another one some day.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you know what that finish is on the 7421PB and other Ibanez guitars? I know they've used it on the basses for a number of years too.... It looks so cheap and plasticy.
Definitely a spray lacquer. Too thin and soft to be anything catalyzed. The 2127Z in particular had chipping even around the arm bevel and the whole bass side edge, where it's not even contacting something hard like a belt buckle or the seat of a chair. Finish shouldn't chip and flake off from contact with your forearm like that.

')