"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
@jaxadam I think a lot of people like the idea of it for a vacation, but not a year round dwelling situation. WVA has some completely ridiculous weather patterns due to the vast forests and mountain geography, and usually made worse by the lack of state/county infrastructure. The town I live in now has more snow trucks than most counties in WVA, so when shit goes down it can really go down.

With that kind of lifestyle, basically any time anything at all goes wrong you're on your own. Lots of services just don't exist out there in those areas, like Uber or Doordash/delivery, kiss that shit goodbye completely. If you need 4WD to go there you're probably going to have issues with property services too such as propane. I had a couple issues with getting inspectors back into one place. A lot of folks rudely find out the cheaper "off-grid" living situations they formulated in their own heads do not line up with the actual philosophy of that lifestyle. Saving money on electricity by using solar, still costs a lot of money. Saving money on digging a well by using water from the creek, still costs a lot of money. Waste management, either really shitty or really expensive- don't gamble. Rebuilding the driveway and/or erosion abatement, costs a lot of money. Either due to maintenance or replacement it all adds up, and it's almost always more expensive because you are paying to do it for yourself out in the middle of BFE.

Then when you're shopping for one of these properties you'll find realtors who totally don't give a shit. They really just can't be bothered, it's a ton of work or shoulder shrugging (counts as work for them) because the deal is small potatoes compared to their Travis Tritt mansions or whatever the fuck else they do all day.

My whole step side of the family is from absolute BFE fucking out in the middle of nowhere West Virginia. I spent a lot of time up there growing up just camping for days on end in a ravine and popping groundhogs off of fence posts with a 7 mil mag (we're talking bye bye back half of the head). It's beautiful country for sure, but yeah, where they are is a straight gravel road up the side of a mountain and you're fucked if anything happens. Exactly what I want in a few years!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
My whole step side of the family is from absolute BFE fucking out in the middle of nowhere West Virginia. I spent a lot of time up there growing up just camping for days on end in a ravine and popping groundhogs off of fence posts with a 7 mil mag (we're talking bye bye back half of the head). It's beautiful country for sure, but yeah, where they are is a straight gravel road up the side of a mountain and you're fucked if anything happens. Exactly what I want in a few years!
A Remington 7mm Mag vs groundhog is bringing the pain.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Looking into buying my first house. Again. I'd have bought last year, but got entirely jerked around by a realtor and the contract fell through. God, I fucking hate realtors.

Found a few promising holes, none of them as close to my area as I would like but I'm not even sure I like this area anymore. They're all fixer-uppers or off-grid adjacent of course, but I'm cheap and minimalistic. Hopefully it's still ok to move to mid WVA without a pill and/or meth problem.
I don't know how the market is in your area, but prices here have come down a bit from last year* and interest rates have dropped, so it might have worked out well for you.

*Prices are lower here but still fucking insane: "how the fuck is that half a million dollars?" is just "how the fuck is that $425k?" now.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
@Demiurge That's about in line with what I have seen as well. Last few years seemed like everyone and their brother was taking any land they had, slapping a completely ridiculous price on it, and then just letting the listing sit while they wait for someone either desperate or stupid enough to bite.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
@Demiurge That's about in line with what I have seen as well. Last few years seemed like everyone and their brother was taking any land they had, slapping a completely ridiculous price on it, and then just letting the listing sit while they wait for someone either desperate or stupid enough to bite.

Ah yes, the "Reverb" model.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Question for the vocalist in the audience.

Stamina. Particularly during normal ranged singing, talking about the stuff that just above speaking range and projection.

Heavy vocals, gutturals, falsetto and even head voice not really an issue. Pretty comfortable with false cord, using your mouth and singing from your diaphragm.

That stuff in the middle and down low where you're definitely using some of the throat just feels like absolute torture after not very long. Is it a warm up thing, a training thing?
Revisiting this.

Looks like I'm mostly referring to 'tension in the throat'. Felt like a stamina issue because basically you can continue until your throat feels stiff and take a break to loosen up or shift vocal technique (singing vs screaming) enough to allow your throat to recharge. Which is a bandaid.

Either way, yes it appear that it comes from bad technique, so I went down the YouTube rabbit hole and its fuckin deep. A lot of contradictory advice, also.

Some of this will vary from person to person, but I think some things that appear consistent are
1.) singing relaxed; speaking or humming in pitch first, without volume and the signing sensation should be nearly the same
2.) posture and decompressing the entire airway; standing straight up, extend neck, allowing mouth to open fully including pulling back your lips

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't stand Spiritbox, but IWABO is one of my all time favorites.
I'm super indifferent to Spiritbox but I loved that first IWABO EP when I was an edgy teen in high school. I also liked Krysta more as a vocalist.

But yeah, abso-fucking-lutely does Spiritbox have more commercial success than IWABO did. I don't think I can look at a mental-adjacent publication without seeing their name pop up somewhere.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
I know Spiritbox is more popular, shit, I know IWABO never even was. I still think one is contrived drivel and the other was actually unique.

Yeah.

IWABO with Krysta was insane. Both her and Courtney can sing no problem, but Krysta as a performer is / was insane too. Way more entertaining. When she left, the band started to look and sound more serious and lost a bit (or maybe a lot) of their "uniqueness". Courtney is boring in comparison, more of a regular (albeit obviously good) performer.

Leaving IWABO was a good move, though. Both commercially and also because things started to feel and sound like it was a different band.

Spiritbox is more like a band for people who iron their clothes and go to sleep at 10:00 PM.

')