"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've really liked their stuff from Rule of Nines onward since that was my intro to them. The Rotoscope EP is great, especially the track Hysteria. The middle/ending fucking slaps.

I guess I'm the odd man out because I really dig the slower stuff like Ultraviolet... That one is so fucking good.

Randy

âśťâśťâśť
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don’t need to dox me bro

If I had a nickel for every time someone on this forum had a “critique” that is just a basic description of pop music I’d be rich

We get it, y'all don’t like pop music
917cmn.jpg
I mean, i listen to a lot of metal with pop influence (Windwaker ftw) but there's some Spiritbox stuff that moves from being appropriate to being sappy like a Disney musical.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of Spiritbox, this Late 90's style outfit choice has mentally transported me right back to the mall. These type of pants used to be so popular. And comfortable.

Courtney has made no attempt at hiding her influence from Limp Bizkit, which includes the 90s/00s hip-hop tail end, and moves like that; seeing it live in person is something, and I saw them several days in a row on the Coheed cruise, and a few times since then.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Courtney has made no attempt at hiding her influence from Limp Bizkit, which includes the 90s/00s hip-hop tail end, and moves like that; seeing it live in person is something, and I saw them several days in a row on the Coheed cruise, and a few times since then.

Enough time has passed now where I think that style is boomin now.

The top comment I saw on that short said she looks like a Dance Dance Revolution character. I'm here for it. Damn I miss when the mall was cool.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Enough time has passed now where I think that style is boomin now.

The top comment I saw on that short said she looks like a Dance Dance Revolution character. I'm here for it. Damn I miss when the mall was cool.

I wasn't a total mallrat but it's weird going to most malls now. They're just a shell of what they used to be. Mall of America doesn't feel as empty but it's definitely not the same as it was just 10 years ago.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want (actually good) pop mixed with metal then there is no one doing it better than Poppy, Babymetal and Electric Callboy imo. Maybe Wargasm as well, but they lean far more 90s house/Prodigy esque vibes than metal imo.

Poppy is great because she's all over the place song to song or even in the same song. I remember seeing her on Instagram years ago before I knew she was a musician... Her videos were kind of weird and unsettling but in a totally intriguing way lol

I dig the pop influences in Spiritbox, it feels a little more subtle and mixes in well. There's times I think she should sing in a higher register but she doesn't have that kind of voice.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
Poppy is great because she's all over the place song to song or even in the same song. I remember seeing her on Instagram years ago before I knew she was a musician... Her videos were kind of weird and unsettling but in a totally intriguing way lol

I dig the pop influences in Spiritbox, it feels a little more subtle and mixes in well. There's times I think she should sing in a higher register but she doesn't have that kind of voice.
Idk, I feel like what Spiritbox is doing on the last album is far less interesting than the bands I posted above. Poppy is just dabbling in metal but I'd argue she's had way more success doing that than Spiritbox has had trying to purposely cross over to more mainstream pop ballads from metal.

')