"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
I was recently linked to something by DemonFx and I knew they made knockoffs, but what they sell now are flagrant ripoffs. Same product names, sometimes artwork... I don't get how they're legally doing that.

I've never tried any of their stuff but those prices could tempt a motherfucker for sure.

Anyone have any insight or hands on experience with their pedals? Part of me thinks they're straight doodoo.

You may already know this, and sorry to bring up something super old but I found your comment in a search I was going on Demonfx...

Apparently, the clones actually uses superior components: YouTube video

It's one thing to make a shitty knock off, but to make something better than the original for 1/3rd of the price... Feels shady on both parties ends IMO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You may already know this, and sorry to bring up something super old but I found your comment in a search I was going on Demonfx...

Apparently, the clones actually uses superior components: YouTube video

It's one thing to make a shitty knock off, but to make something better than the original for 1/3rd of the price... Feels shady on both parties ends IMO.
I did not know that, and that's interesting from the video you posted... I assumed DemonFx stuff just looked the same but the components were totally different.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Being a guitar player means, among other things, that you notice the reverb in the mattress spring coils when you fart in bed.
🤣 I do enough recording that occasionally I'll be in a new space and clap to hear the room resonance, only to realize that other people now think I'm a weirdo / maniac.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Man my fuckin town is wild. I'm doing a house on the east and I look up and see this shit.
Messenger_creation_5187B2B7-449D-49CA-949E-0E7067218DF8.jpg
Messenger_creation_508FE709-7B6E-40F3-AFAD-20722447B389.jpg

This man was fuckin DONE with this light.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Sugi guitars thread had me thinking, if/when you guys buy a high end guitar >$5k, do you guys take brand name into consideration?

I think a lot agree that once you hit a certain price point, most guitars are built pretty well, so I wouldn't think playability/sound would distinguish a guitar from others in that price range. Speaking for myself, if I was going to drop that kind of money, I would want a big brand name for resale purposes, so like Jackson, ESP, Fender, Gibson, etc.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
if/when you guys buy a high end guitar >$5k, do you guys take brand name into consideration?
I can't help but feel that past a certain price point, you're buying a status item or a decoration more than a musical tool. So, by that definition of a "high end guitar", the brand name would absolutely be a consideration.

I went into one of those expensive piano type music stores not long ago - it's the only shop in town that carries Suhr and Friedman, etc. - and I played two basses: a $3k jazz style bass, and a $14k jazz style bass. The 3k bass played pretty nice. The 14k bass played like ass, but it sure did look nice. It was some kind of Fender, but I forget what.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Sugi guitars thread had me thinking, if/when you guys buy a high end guitar >$5k, do you guys take brand name into consideration?

I think a lot agree that once you hit a certain price point, most guitars are built pretty well, so I wouldn't think playability/sound would distinguish a guitar from others in that price range. Speaking for myself, if I was going to drop that kind of money, I would want a big brand name for resale purposes, so like Jackson, ESP, Fender, Gibson, etc.

I'd go ESP as first choice, PRS as my #2, it's anyone's game for #3 and onward after that, but I'd never even buy something for more than $2K and even that's entirely wasted on me, even $1K isn't really that much of a necessity for my bedroom warrior needs

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score

I've only bought 1 guitar in that price range and just barely over the 5k hump. It was my custom.
And no; the brand name played absolutely zero role in my consideration. I saw a NGD here someone posted for one of the builder's guitars and I thought it was interesting, so I looked at the rest of the guy's work, and everything he touched seemed to turn to gold. I don't think I saw a single build that I wouldn't have been proud to own.

Prior to that day, I hadn't entertained the notion of blowing that kind of money on a guitar, save for the B2 on my bucket list once I manage to figure out how to win the lottery.
But looking at those guitars made me want to play guitar, and that's priceless. So I bought one. Of course, I did my research to make sure the shop was reputable and wasn't churning out really nice looking planks; but once it was determined that I would in fact receive a functional instrument, really nothing else mattered. Even the budget; I gave myself a hard limit of $3,500 and the total build cost was around $5,500. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But; it depends on what you're looking for. I was considering it an heirloom piece. Unless life really comes at me hard and I sell all my other shit and then still need to sell this thing, I fully intend on keeping it until I can will it to next of kin. It's my guitar. So resale value isn't even part of the equation. If I was simply looking for 'a high end guitar,' it'd be different. Can't say for sure since like I said, I've only purchased the one, but outside of a really nice Ibanez or a big boy PRS I think something would probably need to hit me the same way to talk me out of that kind of money. Not even just for concerns over resale value, but brand familiarity. I know I love those brands, so I'd feel a lot more secure shelling out for them. Would hate to chance it on a swagged out custom shop ESP only to discover I don't jive with ESP, you know?

')