"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
Sugi guitars thread had me thinking, if/when you guys buy a high end guitar >$5k, do you guys take brand name into consideration?

I think a lot agree that once you hit a certain price point, most guitars are built pretty well, so I wouldn't think playability/sound would distinguish a guitar from others in that price range. Speaking for myself, if I was going to drop that kind of money, I would want a big brand name for resale purposes, so like Jackson, ESP, Fender, Gibson, etc.
Nah, fuck that. Word of mouth counts more. I dropped €4K on a guitar through word of mouth and it exceeded expectations.

I expect the rest of the world to catch up later and elevate the value of this one-off guitar. 😁

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Sugi guitars thread had me thinking, if/when you guys buy a high end guitar >$5k, do you guys take brand name into consideration?

I think a lot agree that once you hit a certain price point, most guitars are built pretty well, so I wouldn't think playability/sound would distinguish a guitar from others in that price range. Speaking for myself, if I was going to drop that kind of money, I would want a big brand name for resale purposes, so like Jackson, ESP, Fender, Gibson, etc.
The craziest thing about those high end products, in a lot of fields, is they tend to not be higher quality at all, just unique. Then you have the cool kids who need to show it off and give everyone the FOMO by hyping it over the moon. Brands have many different methods to develop this propaganda image of quality as a claim, with the real statement being how exclusive or profound the product is very basically. A perfume that's just a perfume, but so-and-so uses it and says it's good. A guitar that's just a guitar, but so-and-so plays it and says it's good. A perfume that's just a perfume, but it's in an expensive bottle and it's very exclusive. A guitar that's just a guitar, but it's got well figured wood and it's very exclusive. Same vibe, same thing. At the end of the day many customers seem to find out that once the new wears off and the old shines through they never really bought the final word in anything. Guitars are like people, quality is the only indication of quality- the other things are almost entirely superficial.

Last edited:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The craziest thing about those high end products, in a lot of fields, is they tend to not be higher quality at all, just unique. Then you have the cool kids who need to show it off and give everyone the FOMO by hyping it over the moon. Brands have many different methods to develop this propaganda image of quality as a claim, with the real statement being how exclusive or profound the product is very basically. A perfume that's a perfume, but so-and-so uses it and says it's good. A guitar that's just a guitar, but so-and-so plays it and says it's good. A perfume that's just a perfume, but it's in an expensive bottle and it's very exclusive. A guitar that's just a guitar, but it's got well figured wood and it's very exclusive. Same vibe, same thing. At the end of the day many customers seem to find out that once the new wears off and the old shines through they never really bought the final word in anything. Guitars are like people, quality is the only indication of quality- the other things are almost entirely superficial.
Big lesson I learned after being somewhat involved in automotive manufacturing is that handmade is nowhere near as good as a finely tuned automated process. People are extremely fallible, especially when they aren't paid enough to care.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Big lesson I learned after being somewhat involved in automotive manufacturing is that handmade is nowhere near as good as a finely tuned automated process. People are extremely fallible, especially when they aren't paid enough to care.
That's totally fair, and there's always the joke about hoping to not get the handmade guitar that was made Monday morning or Friday at 4:55.

I'd like to think what more dough gets you is more eyes on the instrument, more time with it, checking every detail. I know that's not always the case, but that's what I'd want.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
The craziest thing about those high end products, in a lot of fields, is they tend to not be higher quality at all, just unique. Then you have the cool kids who need to show it off and give everyone the FOMO by hyping it over the moon. Brands have many different methods to develop this propaganda image of quality as a claim, with the real statement being how exclusive or profound the product is very basically. A perfume that's just a perfume, but so-and-so uses it and says it's good. A guitar that's just a guitar, but so-and-so plays it and says it's good. A perfume that's just a perfume, but it's in an expensive bottle and it's very exclusive. A guitar that's just a guitar, but it's got well figured wood and it's very exclusive. Same vibe, same thing. At the end of the day many customers seem to find out that once the new wears off and the old shines through they never really bought the final word in anything. Guitars are like people, quality is the only indication of quality- the other things are almost entirely superficial.

Well said. I can find a flaw in any guitar guaranteed. That's what chronic disappointment can do to a person :lol:

"Nothing impresses you"
"You don't like anything"
"You find problems with everything"
-My wife

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i've been really itchin' to get a dual rectifier after seeing some pop up here and there locally for a decent price. But I really so don't need one. It's just extra junk to move when I move and it's not like I can crank one up in an apartment. ...but still.......... That used to be the amp I always wanted when I was younger, but could never afford back in the day.

🤔

Moongrum

Reaction score
It's just extra junk to move when I move and it's not like I can crank one up in an apartment. ...but still.......... That used to be the amp I always wanted when I was younger, but could never afford back in the day.
iktf. When I was younger I had all the time, space, passion in the world, and no money. Now I'm tired, have money, and every purchase comes with more-shit-to-move-when-i-move.
Another point that enters my head during these conversations with myself is something like, "well, what am I going to do? Just fucking die, and never own a dual rec?" :lol: Sometimes it pushes me over the edge to buy something, other times not.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
iktf. When I was younger I had all the time, space, passion in the world, and no money. Now I'm tired, have money, and every purchase comes with more-shit-to-move-when-i-move.
Another point that enters my head during these conversations with myself is something like, "well, what am I going to do? Just fucking die, and never own a dual rec?" :lol: Sometimes it pushes me over the edge to buy something, other times not.
lol right??

the other thing that's a bummer is the maintenance cost on retubing one but then again... I just want one lol.

the wants will probably win out at some point 😅

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the space but the retube cost has definitely prevented me from getting one. Plus I don't normally crank amps too loud in the house as it is.

"well, what am I going to do? Just fucking die, and never own a dual rec?" :lol:
This is a justification point I hadn't considered. Thanks! Lmao

')