"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

• Thread starter CanserDYI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd for sure rather pour it down the sink diluted than leave it around outside for animals to poison themselves with.
I'll second this. I'm sure the intent there was harm reduction definitely.

It's still incredible how fragmented the policy is on this one, and I certainly wasn't expecting that as their conclusion.

I called the manager of the waste treatment plant to tell him about this. He was super skeptical and thought I made it up. I said no, I'll email you the link or I could print it and bring it to you. He said no, that's fine I'll take your word on it. But try not to make a habit of it and don't tell anyone else LOL

What a shit show. In New York and I'm sure other places, maybe it's Federal regulation, places that sell oil have to accept used oil. No idea how that not the case for antifreeze at the Federal level, or you'd expect at least with an ultra Blue State like New York..

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
If you can only find oil takers then put some oil in it and tell em you blew a head gasket. If you don't have a septic system and are on state/county systems you can highly dilute it and just pour it down the drain. DO NOT do the same thing with oil.

Very surprised to hear you don't have a dump near you. Mine will take almost anything, but has designated days of each month for certain things (electronics, batteries, old fire extinguishers, etc.) but they ALWAYS take my oil and coolant.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
"Don't tell anyone" lmao

I don't know how ethical it is to dispose of it in the trash, but when "Oops! What a spill!" happens, cat litter/oil dri works great. When my oil blows out of the pan at an unpredicted angle like a morning wood piss during the annual change (i dont drive much), I always use cat litter to soak it up off my driveway, let it harden, and double bag it for the dumpster.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Depending on the cat litter type it can be worse than what you're cleaning up due to additives. All the oil spill products are mostly innocuous clay, and regular white flour works even better by weight.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you can only find oil takers then put some oil in it and tell em you blew a head gasket. If you don't have a septic system and are on state/county systems you can highly dilute it and just pour it down the drain. DO NOT do the same thing with oil.

Very surprised to hear you don't have a dump near you. Mine will take almost anything, but has designated days of each month for certain things (electronics, batteries, old fire extinguishers, etc.) but they ALWAYS take my oil and coolant.
Yeah both county dumps (which in my county are just solid waste transfer station, nothing they house or process on site) will do normal household trash, reno/demo waste, tire/appliances/electronics (with a fee per item) but no oil or hazardous waste, with a lot of signage threatening fines/arrest for it.

Now of course that's just because i decided to experiment with doing it as ethically as possible as kind of an exercise. After tripping over the bottles in my garage for like a yeah, I was ready to empty them out in the well of the local orphanage if i had to.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Once my friend was arrested for "resisting arrest" but he wasn't under arrest in the first place. That dude could (and did) get arrested for anything. (Though one time he did throw a toilet seat at an officer, so it wasn't always undeserved.)

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I once got briefly detained for "stealing" my own car. Long story short I forgot I moved it from my typical parking area to closer to my dorm and called the cops thinking it was stolen. I called the detective that was investigating to tell him I found it. 6 months later I'm getting 8 loaded guns pointed at me while they cuff me. Dickheads also slammed my head into my trunk even though I did nothing but comply.
Turns out the cops in WI never cancelled the APB after I called to tell them I found the car.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Speaking of cops, I had a cop come into the bar when I was performing last weekend

Cop: "it's loud in here..." Bartender: "really?" What a dude.
That happened to one of my bands once as well. No shit, they left with a bouquet of flowers somebody must have given them. To this day I have no ideas to explain any of it.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never been arrested (plan on keeping that streak), but I remembered another of my "friend getting arrested" stories. Again, dude could get arrested at a drop of a hat.

So, he needed to get his state inspection done and we have a friend who's a mechanic, so he gets this friend to do the inspection and put the sticker thing on. Except, mechanic friend fucks that part up and forgets to put the sticker thing on. Of course, a cop pulls him over on the ride home from the mechanic. My friend is like 100% sure he has the sticker thing because he just got his car inspected and starts mouthing off at the cop (saying shit like "you took the sticker motherfucker*" and crap like that). Bam. Arrested.

Sticker thing was still at the mechanic shop.

*I don't remember if it was a sticker or tag or whatever.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I'd for sure rather pour it down the sink diluted than leave it around outside for animals to poison themselves with.

Yeah, that is some very cruel death.
But....I understand its got to be in concentrations (bowl of antifreeze) vs. diluted to ppms in x acre-feet of water.

Last edited:

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Police intereactions

One time my dad got pulled over for running a red (it was yellow) light. Turned out he had an insurance lapse, which in NYS (I'm not sure how it is elsewhere?) means an automatic suspension of registration. And in NYS, driving with an unregistered vehicle is a BIG deal (as we find out that day).

So one cop car became four cop cars. One cop at the window and three or more around the window shining their lights inside. It was pretty chaotic but the conversation was pretty tame.

After the original cop came back to the car, he handed my dad a paper "here, fill out this arrest report" and he's like "wait, arrest report?" "yes" "what am I being arrested for?" and the cop opens the door YANKS him out and drags him to the back to the patrol car, cuffed him and slammed him against the door. Said he was doing him a favor letting him fill out the report at the car and not at the police station, so shut up and do it or he'll catch a resisting charge.

Car full of kids and my parents so he cooled off and yes sir, no sir. Filled out the report and we were on our way. Over a ~5 day insurance lapse.

I've had other terrible police interactions but that was the excessive use of force one that stands out.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
You all probably know this, but don't mouth off to the cops. There is very little which is left to their discretion outside of logistics (justice is supposed to be blind) so either way it is unlikely to ever help you. A lot of them are too timid to put on a badge without a giant dose of egotistical hero complex, so just don't fuck with them, they are probably higher on their own bullshit than you are. It's not about who is right or wrong, it's about what you can prove or concretely infer when the chips are down. They are just making legal observations and documentations for the state, your real enemy. Go to your court date, explain your legality or situation concisely with any evidence or corroboration to the court who actually has the ability to make a damn decision of any kind. That's if the cop even shows up to court- one of the few steps which is within their own discretion. They definitely will show up to court just to say so-and-so was agitated, condescending, or unremorseful- and at that point, Buddy, you're fucking DONE.

Not trying to shit on cops, at least they do a goddamn thing for their own communities when nobody else will. There's definitely a certain flavor of kool-aid they tend to most enjoy, though.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
Re: Police intereactions

One time my dad got pulled over for running a red (it was yellow) light. Turned out he had an insurance lapse, which in NYS (I'm not sure how it is elsewhere?) means an automatic suspension of registration. And in NYS, driving with an unregistered vehicle is a BIG deal (as we find out that day).

So one cop car became four cop cars. One cop at the window and three or more around the window shining their lights inside. It was pretty chaotic but the conversation was pretty tame.

After the original cop came back to the car, he handed my dad a paper "here, fill out this arrest report" and he's like "wait, arrest report?" "yes" "what am I being arrested for?" and the cop opens the door YANKS him out and drags him to the back to the patrol car, cuffed him and slammed him against the door. Said he was doing him a favor letting him fill out the report at the car and not at the police station, so shut up and do it or he'll catch a resisting charge.

Car full of kids and my parents so he cooled off and yes sir, no sir. Filled out the report and we were on our way. Over a ~5 day insurance lapse.

I've had other terrible police interactions but that was the excessive use of force one that stands out.

Ah, the abuse of authority with zero chance of resistance or repercussions: the opportunity that every person with even a minimum amount of power is waiting for.

One of the constants across the world.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
That's if the cop even shows up to court- one of the few steps which is within their own discretion. They definitely will show up to court just to say so-and-so was agitated, condescending, or unremorseful- and at that point, Buddy, you're fucking DONE.
Quoting for emphasis; it's even worse than this, though. Basically if they show up at all you're hosed. Unless you're talking about a jury trial, you're asking a judge, employed by the state, to rule against....the state. It's a long story but my old man got arrested for a "DUI" that had absolutely no standing. Tl;dr he was not driving, did not intend on driving, was under the legal limit, was on private property, and was trying to get a guest that had turned violent off of the property and away from the kids. The whole thing is the epitome of 'no good deed goes unpunished.'

This turned into a 3 year long court battle wherein the arresting officer repeatedly lied in court over things that we could prove were complete fabrications but it didn't matter. I mean we're talking about absolutely cartoonish lies; instead of this happening in the driveway of a private residence in a private community on a private road out in the middle of the countryside well outside city limits, his sworn testimony was that he had pulled him over in motion at a stoplight in the middle of town. Just one of many. None of it mattered. The state looks after the state. Lost his job, demolished his whole career, sent our family into poverty. Completely destroyed any faith I had in the legal system.

Not shitting on cops either; I actually have a lot of sympathy for them as a whole because dickheads like this guy make them look terrible and instill a deep, festering hate and distrust for them in anyone they interact with. So it's no surprise when you see how much so many people hate cops and the amount of shit they get from the public. Has gotta suck if you're just a regular joe trying to do your job and contribute to your community.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I would also agree that noble cause corruption of that sort is pretty prevalent. It's crazy how easily us humans are mislead by our own "certainty" or perceived morality perspectives. "It's wrong to lie, but if I lie to convict a person who is more wrong that makes it the right thing to do- even though I cannot prove their guilty to anyone including myself" type of crap is a mind virus not exclusive to LE, but therein it definitely has a propensity for such things to be carried out to great consequence by LE. I see cops as a necessary evil on the job, and off the job they're typically just a regular person. A resounding majority of them hate crooked and lazy cops a lot more than other people do because it reflects very negatively on their own professional and personal reputation by default, as well as obviously working counter to the goal of fostering a healthy society. That's not to say these fallacies and mutations within policing aren't still able to pick up a ton of speed and become systemic within departments all over, and then the community has a massive fucking problem on its hands. Oversight of enforcement is of absolutely colossal importance in regard to accountability and making sure the dipshits and assholes get swiftly wrung out.

It's a shitty job, too. I wouldn't do it for that reason alone, so I'm very grateful some folks do it well. At the end of the day you're typically dealing with just another dude doing his job and trying to clock out with the least shit on his face. Worshipping or demonizing all of them is pretty ridiculous in my opinion, in my mind it's totally on a person to person basis and one good or bad cop is not representative of LEOs as a whole. Everyone is good, bad, and nothing. It's usually their circumstances which ultimately determine their behavior, and it's a field which needs people to be absolutely perfect all the time- which is impossible of course.

Realtors on the other hand can go straight to hell and sit on a pineapple for eternity.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Quoting for emphasis; it's even worse than this, though. Basically if they show up at all you're hosed. Unless you're talking about a jury trial, you're asking a judge, employed by the state, to rule against....the state. It's a long story but my old man got arrested for a "DUI" that had absolutely no standing. Tl;dr he was not driving, did not intend on driving, was under the legal limit, was on private property, and was trying to get a guest that had turned violent off of the property and away from the kids. The whole thing is the epitome of 'no good deed goes unpunished.'
No idea how the laws have changed since this but in the early 90s I knew a guy that was arrested for DUI for "sleeping it off" in his car PARKED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD TURNED OFF because the keys were within reach.

')