Not yet NGD - progress pic of my custom Jackson Kelly!

• Thread starter Rev2010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Trivium huh?

Trivium? I've heard of them but have never listened to their music. What's similar between this guitar and Trivium?

*EDIT - just looked them up and saw they use a tomoe in their logo. Not a nice looking one though :D The tomoe is a japanese symbol. I have it on me as a tattoo and on mine and my wife's wedding rings which I custom designed (though both are without the circle).

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
^ Probably Mike Shannon.

Pablo Santana got the axe recently (no pun intended)

jahosy

Reaction score
Jackson = Metal

Congrats mate! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
whos building it for you?

Not sure, I haven't asked and don't know any other names there outside of Mike and Pablo's and as already mentioned Pablo isn't there any longer. I actually haven't seen a single guitar of Pablo's that I liked, but that could be aesthetics. I've always loved Mike's work so it would be killer to have had him build it - guys pretty much a famous guitar building legend too at this point. :)

Rev.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice guitar Rev - the wait will be worth it man! Like yourself I can't do it anymore.. and the upcharge from getting the USA selects in 3-4mo is way too high for me.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Not sure, I haven't asked and don't know any other names there outside of Mike and Pablo's and as already mentioned Pablo isn't there any longer. I actually haven't seen a single guitar of Pablo's that I liked, but that could be aesthetics. I've always loved Mike's work so it would be killer to have had him build it - guys pretty much a famous guitar building legend too at this point. :)

Rev.

I think there are only two builders doing Masterbuilt Customs right now (I could be wrong though). Mike Shannon and Dave Nichols. However, even if they have guys from the USA Select or Custom Select lines working on it I'm sure it'll be killer. All the USA Select and Custom Select stuff is made in the same shop anyway.

Aside from the ridiculous wait time for a masterbuilt custom these days, USA Jacksons are a pretty good deal. You can get a guitar from the USA Select line for around $1500-$2000, and it's essentially mass produced in the custom shop. The local Jackson dealer in Tucson (Rainbow Guitars) seems to be selling Custom Selects for about $500-$700 more than a USA Select right now.

Masterbuilt stuff is a crazy long wait time though. However, if you compare with say ESP's custom shop it's still cheaper.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
@Groverj3 - I'm at just over two years now, so yeah I know about the wait :) Do they offer 7 string as an option for the USA Selects? I seem to recall looking and not seeing that option.

Rev.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Groverj3 - I'm at just over two years now, so yeah I know about the wait :) Do they offer 7 string as an option for the USA Selects? I seem to recall looking and not seeing that option.

Rev.

The option is there for 7 string soloists but they are Master Built which has a 1700$ tag and $900 for being a 7 string in addition to your base model SL2H.

rikomaru

Reaction score
Damn......was not expecting something slick like this. That headstock is sexy as hell on a kelly too. :eek:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The option is there for 7 string soloists but they are Master Built which has a 1700$ tag and $900 for being a 7 string in addition to your base model SL2H.

All of this would be avoided if they just made a normal scale 7 string soloist with a floyd. I'm not sure why, after all these years, they won't.

Hell, they even introduced baritone scale 7s and 8s in the USA Select line. What's so hard, by comparison, about making an SL2H with an extra string :lol:

Jim666

Reaction score
That looks great.

I have a black Kelly I recently bought since it had been upgraded with Duncan Invaders, a pickup I wanted to try. I was thinking of either doing a swirl paintjob, or adding a spalted maple top to it. Your guitar is really making me lean towards the maple top.

givemeajackson

Reaction score
I guess i'll need a GAS mask in order not to die whan looking at that guitar :badumdsss:
i want to get back to jackson again :(

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
If you're going to wait years then it might as well be for a Jackson or ESP. At least with them you know it's going to be a great unit.
Absolutely love the black bindings on wood finish and stock.
Kellys and Warriors have always been two of the best alternative shapes IMO.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely love the black bindings on wood finish and stock.

Totally agree, IMO black binding on natural wood topped guitars is the hottest looking I've seen. The black trim is just such a perfect accent. I see many people say, "I would never put plastic around my exotic wood top" but F 'em, it just looks too good :metal: And of course, I also had to go with a flat top - they just look too incredibly hot as well.

Rev.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it's at the retailer and being shipped out to me today! These are the photos they took and sent to me at my request. I'm loving the way it looks though I will admit I'm a tad disappointed on how much the flame shows through. When I submitted my order I attached a photo reference showing highly figured spalt with little to no flame and mentioning I wanted as little flame as possible. I personally think flame in spalt is too chaotic and detracts from the spalt. They did send me a photo of the spalt and said it was the best they had to match so I approved it. The photo on the first page of this thread looks less flamey apparently due to the distance and lower resolution. All in all though that's nitpicking and it does look quite good. I'll create an NGD thread with more photos once I have it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rev.

Attachments

• IMGP4136.JPG
    IMGP4136.JPG
    360.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMGP4137.JPG
    IMGP4137.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMGP4140.JPG