Nothing Like

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, nothing more virtuous than spending other people's time to make the world a better place.

Seriously, who's actually surprised?

Jeff

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Why not? They make you go to school. (Of course, I said fuck you to the whole system myself. :lol:)

The time and resources that would be used to get this program in place could be better used imo. Think about how hard it would be to get a bunch of middle school kids to do that much community service, I doubt the high school kids would be much easier. I also think it would be better if those students got real part time jobs that paid them instead of doing community service for the government.

Ah, nothing more virtuous than spending other people's time to make the world a better place.

Seriously, who's actually surprised?

Jeff

:agreed:

Do you mean before or after the keggers and frat parties? Could be worse, it could be mandatory military service like in some countries.

You're right, after going to school, studying, and then work you should do mandatory community service for the government instead of enjoying your free time...

I_infect

Reaction score
You're right, after going to school, studying, and then work you should do mandatory community service for the government instead of enjoying your free time...

Honestly, as a country and society, I think we're lazy and greedy. We have become very used to a microwave/fast-food drive-thru/want it now mentality.

I'm not saying the last moment of precious free time should be sacrificed, but INSTEAD of being hungover on Saturday and Sunday morning, we could do something. I used to do a soup kitchen from time to time on Sat. mornings, and I volunteer at my kids' school when I get the chance, so I do practice what I preach.

I think the whole point he was trying to make, whether it is 1, 10, or 100 hours, is that we need to start giving back instead of taking. Greed,ignorant bliss and laziness got us to where we are now economically the past 8 years.

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, as a country and society, I think we're lazy and greedy. We have become very used to a microwave/fast-food drive-thru/want it now mentality.

Few people will argue this.

However, as an actual volunteer worker I have to question how forced 'volunteer service' will help anything (kids who are only forced by their *parents* are bratty and annoying enough and shouldn't bother showing up at all), and as a government employee I have to wonder why the fucking fuck people answer "Shouldn't something be done?" with "Let's have the government do it!" so frequently. If you want something to get done, getting government involved is the best (legal, at least) way to ruin everything.

Jeff

I_infect

Reaction score
It's not volunteer work, it's community service, and it's a mindset. Volunteer is by choice, and if it becomes widely accepted that this is something everyone has to do, it will become the norm. If anyone needs to be humbled a bit, it's the teens wearing the girlie pants and mascara.
Of course it's not going to go over well, if it gets passed at all. The kiddies will piss and moan about it, but it will be eye opening in the long run. I am not sure by the wording if it is planned to mandatory for college students or not, but I do think the kinks need to be worked out of exactly what is expected etc. 2 or 4 hours a month is not alot at all, and could even be fun or a learning experience if in the right forum.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score

I'm not saying the last moment of precious free time should be sacrificed, but INSTEAD of being hungover on Saturday and Sunday morning, we could do something. I used to do a soup kitchen from time to time on Sat. mornings, and I volunteer at my kids' school when I get the chance, so I do practice what I preach.

I think the whole point he was trying to make, whether it is 1, 10, or 100 hours, is that we need to start giving back instead of taking. Greed,ignorant bliss and laziness got us to where we are now economically the past 8 years.

My post was referring to the college students who really don't have that much free time, but that was voluntary service anyways, and they get tax credits towards their education so I think that part of the plan is great.

I agree with you on pretty much all of your post I just think getting the government involved in this would be a bad idea. It'll become way to complicated and expensive.

I_infect

Reaction score
I agree with you on pretty much all of your post I just think getting the government involved in this would be a bad idea. It'll become way to complicated and expensive.

Do you think people will change their "take it for granted" attitudes on their own? I'm not trying to come off sarcastic or preachy, so I apologize if I do.
His whole campaign was based on change, and I believe it's something we need to do. I have no faith in the country to change on its own, so I do think the government should be called on to initiate it. I am very frustrated with the current mass mentality that we need to have the newest best thing, and fuck everyone else in the long run. Ever been to a Black Friday sale? It's a madhouse. Sometimes I just sit back and think, 'What have we come to?"

well...you voted for him

Agreed. They say be careful what you wish for...

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
Agreed. They say be careful what you wish for...
yeah bro, i knew this was gunna happen as soon as he got elected, this is gunna be america's biggest mistake putting a democrat in there(no pun intended democratic forumers). i just hope it doesnt happen since im a highschooler for another few years

JBroll

Hard-On For Freedom™
Contributor
Reaction score
Putting either of them would be a mistake, the difference for you between Obama and McCain would be whether you're helping old people chew their food or helping Iraq explode itself.

Jeff

I_infect

Reaction score
yeah bro, i knew this was gunna happen as soon as he got elected, this is gunna be america's biggest mistake putting a democrat in there(no pun intended democratic forumers). i just hope it doesnt happen since im a highschooler for another few years

I rest my case.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you think people will change their "take it for granted" attitudes on their own? I'm not trying to come off sarcastic or preachy, so I apologize if I do.
His whole campaign was based on change, and I believe it's something we need to do. I have no faith in the country to change on its own, so I do think the government should be called on to initiate it. I am very frustrated with the current mass mentality that we need to have the newest best thing, and fuck everyone else in the long run. Ever been to a Black Friday sale? It's a madhouse. Sometimes I just sit back and think, 'What have we come to?"

Sarcastic and preachy? Nah, you're (like lots of educated people) just tired of dealing with stuck-up, selfish people all day. I do believe that people will eventually change on their own, it's just going to take awhile. Getting the government involved in something like this just bothers me and I don't see how they're gonna get a bunch of middle school students to do the community service. The kids don't have cars, the parents may not be able to always drive them, and I doubt there would be that much work for them to do at their school.

I tend to avoid retail stores like the plague on Black Friday so I wouldn't know. I do get the privilege of working a closing shift at a Best Buy this Black Friday so maybe I'll get an opportunity to view our society at its worst:ugh:

I rest my case.

:lol:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
where do you get "forced labor" out of that?

i didn't see the word "require" anywhere in there. it seems completely voluntary to me :shrug:

"Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free."

again, am i missing something? i didn't read anything in the link you posted stating that anything is "mandatory".

EDIT:

wannabeguitarist beat me to it. totally missed his post :lol:.

The web page was edited after I posted. The sentence in my original post was a direct quote from the page before the edit, and the word require was most assuredly there and there was nothing about a tax credit on the original page. The revised version certainly sounds more reasonable, as I have no problem with voluntary service being rewarded...

Reaction score
Sarcastic and preachy? Nah, you're (like lots of educated people) just tired of dealing with stuck-up, selfish people all day. I do believe that people will eventually change on their own, it's just going to take awhile. Getting the government involved in something like this just bothers me and I don't see how they're gonna get a bunch of middle school students to do the community service. The kids don't have cars, the parents may not be able to always drive them, and I doubt there would be that much work for them to do at their school.

I tend to avoid retail stores like the plague on Black Friday so I wouldn't know. I do get the privilege of working a closing shift at a Best Buy this Black Friday so maybe I'll get an opportunity to view our society at its worst:ugh:

:lol:
There going to do it the same way they do in Canada! Its not very difficult. Almost everybody in my grade ended up volunteering a bunch of weekends in a row so that they could graduate. Only like two or three people got a job so they could get the creds to graduate.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
The web page was edited after I posted. The sentence in my original post was a direct quote from the page before the edit, and the word require was most assuredly there and there was nothing about a tax credit on the original page. The revised version certainly sounds more reasonable, as I have no problem with voluntary service being rewarded...

interesting... if that is the case, i completely understand where you're coming from :ugh:...

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
interesting... if that is the case, i completely understand where you're coming from :ugh:...

That is the case :lol: Like I said, the sentence in my first post was a copy/paste from the site before the edit... I even ran over to the wayback machine to see if they had a copy of the original page, but no dice they have nothing archived from the entire site :shrug:

If it had been worded originally the way it is now I wouldn't have posted :agreed:

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
Oh okay, since that was the original direct quote, then, yes, I agree. The revised edition is much more reasonable.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Rewarding voluntary work seems like a good idea to me. Do some kind community service for college money, I'm there!!

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
If you want something to get done, getting government involved is the best (legal, at least) way to ruin everything.

Just like the space program!

:rolleyes:

And social security, and consumer rights, and environmental protection, and a national highway system, and WW2, and rebuilding Europe, and civil rights, and reducing diseases like smallpox...

')