Nothing or Obzen

• Thread starter philkilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NOTHING or OBZEN

• Total voters

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Which do you prefer? I love them both, but I think nothing (!) can match meshuggah's slow churning aggressiveness on...Nothing

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

liamh

Geek-chic
Reaction score
On the whole, I prefer Nothing.
But, you see, ObZen has Dancers To A Discordant System (Possibly the greatest Meshuggah song.)

Reaction score
ObZen, but I spose that's just because the 2 times I've seen them has been pretty much on the back of that album.

samurai7drew

Djent Junkie
Reaction score
obzen has so many great songs that have already become classics in my mind (bleed is an obvious one for most people, i think). this is not to say that "nothing" doesn't but, the combination of amazing songwriting + flawless production on obzen makes it my current favorite. now, all time favorite might take more consideration. hmm..

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Nothing sounds really bad imo, (Re)Nothing is much better, the Ibanez guitars just sound so much tighter and sharper.

oBzen is better than both versions of Nothing, and as Dave said, Catch 33 is better than both of those.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
As a whole album, Nothing, but, my fave songs are on ObZen.

samurai7drew

Djent Junkie
Reaction score
Obzen is a stronger album I believe, though Catch 33 owns both.

good point. catch 33 is a trip. it's best observed in it's entirety.

although, it can seriously entrance you at a point (that's not such a bad thing). just don't listen to it if you're driving at night and have only had 3 previous hours of sleep. you might veer off the road in a somewhat lucid coma.

Luuk

Reaction score
That's a though call.. I like both albums very much! But I think I prefer nothing just a bit more.. Although, as said before, obZen has Dancers.. IMO the best song Meshuggah has ever written!

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
ObZen is Meshuggah as sharpened, polished, and focused as they've ever been. It has become my default go to Meshuggah album, though Nothing is still great. Am I the only one who didn't like Catch 33 all that much? I like it, and I listen to it sometimes, but to me, they have three or four albums that are better.

defchime

Reaction score
I prefer Nothing, catch 33, destroy erase improve, I, and Obzen.

I gotta say I is definitely the best song/album ever...I've listened to it all the way through like 40 or 50 times at least lol.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I'd agree that Obzen is Meshuggah at their most polished and focused, but Catch 33 for me is probably the album of the decade. It's just so different, so heavy and so groovy.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I guess it's kind of a toss up for me.

It depends on my mood. Generally speaking, 90% of my listening occurs in my car, with my iPod on shuffle. What I've noticed is, out of the Meshuggah songs that could possibly come up during shuffle, I skip songs from Catch 33 less frequently than I skip songs from any of their other albums other album, Dancers To a Dischordant System and Combustion being the only real exceptions. There's just something about the '2 note groove' of the majority of that album that just GETS me when I'm driving. No matter how I'm feeling, my fingers start moving, then my head starts nodding and before I know it I'm in a 'rock out' trance. ;)

Latest posts

')