Nothing or Obzen

• Thread starter philkilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NOTHING or OBZEN

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
I prefer Nothing but the production on Obzen is incredible.

liquidcow

Reaction score
As long as we're talking the re-done version of Nothing, then that wins by miles for me. ObZen just did not grab me, I found it mostly boring and too much of it was about being 'mathematical' at the expense of writing good solid riffs that were technical but still had groove. That was what they were always in danger of doing but managed to avoid, but on ObZen I think they finally fell into that trap.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
ObZen just did not grab me, I found it mostly boring and too much of it was about being 'mathematical' at the expense of writing good solid riffs that were technical but still had groove. That was what they were always in danger of doing but managed to avoid, but on ObZen I think they finally fell into that trap.

See I find it strange that you should say that, because I think that about Nothing. With Obzen they refined the formula and finally managed to pin down their sound whilst still trying new things.

pink freud

Reaction score
I think obZen is immediately likable, while Nothing takes a few listens to "get."

Bleak

Reaction score
ObZen's my favorite between the two. Destroy, Erase, Improve is by far my favorite, however.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I just love Meshuggah, but of these two, Obzen is a hair ahead for me. I love I and DEI a whole bunch as well, and Sol Niger gives me a Meshuggah with more shred :D

tr0n

djent n00b
Reaction score
I probably prefer Nothing, but it is a tough choice. I love Rational Gaze, Perpetual Black Second and Straws Pulled At Random, but that said, Bleed is one of my favourite songs ever. But with Obzen I can't really listen to it all in one sitting, in terms of the mastering it's very loud and searing and I just get listening fatigue.

Scar Symmetry is right though, Catch 33 definitely better than both and is also one of my most favourite albums ever.

Whilst we're on the topic, but not to hijack the thread, may I just...ahem...

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I prefer Obzen to Nothing not just because it has my favorite Meshuggah song, which actually isn't Dancers, it is the title track, but because the album as a whole I think is better. Nothing is a great fucking album, and Catch 33 is a whole different story:metal:

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
NOTHINGGGG. so great. perpetual black second, closed eye visuals, obsidian, nebulous, straws, the whole damn album. so heavy and so much groove. Obzen is amazing but nothing is my personal favorite b/w the two

Xanithon

Headbobbing Galore
Reaction score
Every song on Re-Nothing is amazing and groovy to me - obZen is a good album, i thoroughly enjoy it - but some of the songs on obZen just don't stand out much to me (Pineal and Lethargica) - i find myself listening to more Nothing songs than obZen songs.

Voted Nothing.

Though if i could, i'd vote for Catch 33 :D

nihilist

Reaction score
You can't make me choose between my babies!?

They both have their own appeal. But yeah, Catch 33 is the best Meshuggah imo.

')