Nothing or Obzen

• Thread starter philkilla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NOTHING or OBZEN

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Every song on Re-Nothing is amazing and groovy to me - obZen is a good album, i thoroughly enjoy it - but some of the songs on obZen just don't stand out much to me (Pineal and Lethargica) - i find myself listening to more Nothing songs than obZen songs.

Dude Lethargica is one of the best songs imo, it was so heavy live when they slowed the end down, crushing!

hypermagic

Fusion Neophyte
Reaction score
It'd be Nothing for me if not for Electric Red. Such a fucking huge awesome groove to that song.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
easy choice for me.

i have picked up every meshuggah album on the release day since DEI and Nothing is the only album i was dissappointed with on the first spin.

ObZen on the other hand is the album they should've released straight after Chaosphere and kept goin in that direction :yesway:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I don't see how they could've released Obzen after Chaosphere considering Nothing was the album where they 'branched out'. They couldn't of released Obzen any sooner than it was released, it's a sound of a band refined and matured.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
it wasn't a 'could', it was a 'should' :) its all wishing, naturally you can see alot of maturity in an album released some 10 years after the other, that wasn't the point :)

i think Nothing is ok and Catch 33 is great. i just prefer what i feel Chaosphere and ObZen has in common and i think that is Meshuggah at their best.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
easy choice for me.

i have picked up every meshuggah album on the release day since DEI and Nothing is the only album i was dissappointed with on the first spin.

The funny thing is I was disappointed too my first listen or so. Guess I was so used to the DEI and Chaos sound..But now I love it! (circa a few years ago)

cycloptopus

Reaction score
I don't see how they could've released Obzen after Chaosphere considering Nothing was the album where they 'branched out'. They couldn't of released Obzen any sooner than it was released, it's a sound of a band refined and matured.
This is important as to why I like Obzen. In my opinion, Nothing represents how Meshuggah pushes themselves into new territory. Just like Chaosphere pushed them into a more radical version of themselves compared to DEI. Catch 33, to me, comes across as a kind of concept album based on the style of Nothing. I believe Obzen is a synthesis of all of their styles wrapped into one album and kind of ties it all together while pushing into new territory.

One negative thing that people I know tend to say about Meshuggah is that all the songs sound the same. I can agree with that based on listening to any one album, but they have pushed into new territory from album to album. I think with Obzen, they wind up changing up thier style from song to song and that is just another example of them pushing themselves to be better.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I don't agree with the every song sounds the same thing.

On Catch 33 yeah maybe, but that's because themes reoccur and it's not really divided properly into different songs. I personally think that the songs on Nothing and Obzen are substantially different to each other.

cycloptopus

Reaction score
I really don't either, but I can see why someone who isn't into Meshuggah as much as me (or..really...us here on this forum) would say that. I think Obzen is thier most blatant example of diversity between songs.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Personally I like ObZen better, but mostly just because I haven't really listened to Nothing much. Also quite fond of DEI.

John_Strychnine

I Was Once Groove.
Reaction score
Nothing - Not the rerelease, the feel of the original cannot be beat, its soooooo groovey.

I really like how Raw the Original Nothing was, and it will probably remain in my top 5 albums of all time.

I like Obzen, but unlike Nothing, i find myself itching to change to another album about half way through :\. Nothing is more diverse in the song writing, in my opinion of course.
Obzen isn't all that far behind though.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Catch 33 is a monument in itself for the mere fact that the drums were all programmed...

liquidcow

Reaction score
See I find it strange that you should say that, because I think that about Nothing. With Obzen they refined the formula and finally managed to pin down their sound whilst still trying new things.

I just find that on Nothing, a lot of the riffs like Rational Gaze or whatever I have ended up being very familiar with without having any idea what time signature or whatever they're in (I know it's all 4/4 etc but you know what I mean), because they've got a groove to them. I have heard that they actually wrote a lot of the riffs without thinking about doing something technical, they just have a weird sense of groove. On ObZen though, it really felt to me like a lot of it was constructed mathematically. The prime example is the outro to Pineal Gland Optics. It's got this odd timing thing where they hit the high note and the snare once, once, twice, once three times, and so on. That riff in particular actually wound me up because it's like they're screaming at you look, we are doing something mathematical here! and I just don't care because it's not an interesting riff and the mathematical nature of it doesn't create a groove or anything that I find interesting. Maybe that's not their intention but that's how it feels to me....

')