Nothingness

• Thread starter flamingfishman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flamingfishman

Reaction score
being a semi-insomniac, i tend to lie awake in for hours before i can sleep, just thinking about things.

thoughts of last night :
nothing is where no thing exists. however, nothing is itself a thing, and can therefore not exist or else it would not be nothing. if nothing cannot exist, then no thing cannot exist. instead, everything exists as a complex web of consciousness, all of which are seemingly separate parts of one collective consciousness.

what are peoples thoughts on this?

note - since this was at night, my powers of logic were nonexistent, so it will probably not make too much sense. :squint:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trypios

Reaction score
This is called 'paradox of nothingness'. There are many explanations throughout the net.

IMO it's like the art concept of Joseph Kosuth "one and three chairs". There is a real chair, a poster of that 'real chair' and a poster that reads the definition of a chair from a dictionary. Which is real? The definition, because without it, we don't know what a chair is.

Nothingness doesn't exist without a definition, and its definition creates a paradox.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
sleeping pills took care of my problem...

Tomo009

Reaction score
Well everything is connected on an atomic level and therefore pretty much everything is one thing. Except for pockets in space where there is literally no matter, so basically everyone is part of the earth and there really is no such thing as "nothing" in that sense anyway.

Trypios

Reaction score
Well everything is connected on an atomic level and therefore pretty much everything is one thing. Except for pockets in space where there is literally no matter, so basically everyone is part of the earth and there really is no such thing as "nothing" in that sense anyway.

You just said "there really is no such thing" so "nothing" stands

Tomo009

Reaction score
You just said "there really is no such thing" so "nothing" stands

Yes the word, was talking about "nothing" in the sense that the OP referred to it. I was thinking as a tangible object.

Though its gonna get crazy if you start talking about scientific theories such as antimatter and the string theory which are probably impossible to prove. But could be equated as "nothing"

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
if you think about it, our definition of Nothing just isn´t wide enough to cover what "nothing" really is (think before the big bang, for example). like, nothing isn´t really "nothing", it´s just emptyness without anything we know and recognize as being something in it. but there´s something. hard to explain, hah!

like, nothing is just a vast kind of emptyness to us, but really it´s just when there´s nothing we can sense or register with our limited senses etc. like, an isolated space with just a vacuum, it´s still full of a whole bunch of things, but to us it´s essentially empty, because we can´t sense or pick up the presence of anything there.

i´m too tired for this...

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
meshuggah-nothing.jpg

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
being a semi-insomniac, i tend to lie awake in for hours before i can sleep, just thinking about things.

thoughts of last night :
nothing is where no thing exists. however, nothing is itself a thing, and can therefore not exist or else it would not be nothing. if nothing cannot exist, then no thing cannot exist. instead, everything exists as a complex web of consciousness, all of which are seemingly separate parts of one collective consciousness.

what are peoples thoughts on this?

note - since this was at night, my powers of logic were nonexistent, so it will probably not make too much sense. :squint:

Good work :yesway:

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
if you think about it, our definition of Nothing just isn´t wide enough to cover what "nothing" really is (think before the big bang, for example). like, nothing isn´t really "nothing", it´s just emptyness without anything we know and recognize as being something in it. but there´s something. hard to explain, hah!

like, nothing is just a vast kind of emptyness to us, but really it´s just when there´s nothing we can sense or register with our limited senses etc. like, an isolated space with just a vacuum, it´s still full of a whole bunch of things, but to us it´s essentially empty, because we can´t sense or pick up the presence of anything there.

i´m too tired for this...

You're describing empty space which isn't always necessarily going to be identified as "nothing" by everybody, and "nothing" may be indeed by described as a state of nothingness... more so a concept rather than a physical existence that we can readily point to.

pink freud

Reaction score
True nothingness would be more than a three dimensional area of vacuum. You can still measure it. Hell, even a singularity, which is about as close to nothing as we have concept of is still something.

Razorgrin

Reaction score
How do you know that they exist?
Neverending Story, not shitty metalcore. The world would be an infinitely better place if the latter never existed; though, as an empiricist, I must note that I have never seen the band so as far as I'm concerned they don't.

')