[NotQuiteNGD] Peak Schecter Diamond series Anniversary wooden goodness

mbardu

Reaction score
Another late NGD to go through. Better do it now than never though! I missed on the initial release of those Anniversary C-1s (before I was that interested in import Shecters), and regretted it quite a few times. They do sometimes pop up despite the limited numbers, but sometimes in less than perfect condition, and pretty expensive to boot. This was both a pretty good deal, and in very good condition...not to mention the prettiest I have seen. Especially if you like natural woods: ridiculous flame, super stripey fretboard, wenge neck, clean ash back...

Just some notes:
  • One of the first Schecter imports with stainless steel frets I believe?
  • Unlike recent C-1s, this has a significant neck angle with the non-recessed TOM. I had not realized that! Not my all-time favorite construction in term of setup, but I have it at below 1.5mm action right now with zero buzz, so pretty happy
  • The neck is neither the baseball bat from the 2000/early 2010s, nor the recent super-thin. It's kind of a happy medium in between
  • Schecter Pasadena pickups are as killer as ever in this guitar. Not sure why we don't hear more praise for Shecter pickups
  • Compensated nut is nice, as usual
  • Sustain is absolutely nuts. In the top 5 among all guitars I've played, which includes some fat LP-types which you'd expect to be better in that regard.
All in all, it's the best and favorite Horizon that I've owned. I mean C-1 :lol:

sDSC02471.JPG sDSC02483.JPG sDSC02485.JPG sDSC02486.JPG sDSC02488.JPG sDSC02506.JPG sDSC02509.JPG sDSC02512(2).JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
This is absolutely the coolest diamond series I've ever seen, I had no idea they made this. HNGD!

Electric Wizard

it's my first day
Reaction score
I wish every diamond series where they go crazy with the specs would still end up looking this tasteful. Schecter can make a real winner when they do it right.

mbardu

Reaction score
Lookin good. Which headstock is it?

Totally forgot to mention the headstock. It's natural like the rest of the guitars, with the Wenge/Maple construction, but the biggest most striking feature is the chunky "40th Anniversary" logo made of steel that's just kinda plonked there.

shDSC02540.JPG

Last edited:

mbardu

Reaction score
I wish every diamond series where they go crazy with the specs would still end up looking this tasteful. Schecter can make a real winner when they do it right.

The KM-7 MkII is in a similar vein in terms of "natural" looks if you don't mind losing a tone control. Although unlike a lot of people, I do prefer the "neck showing" look so this one is slightly ahead IMO. Plus it's pretty rare to actually have the neck-through show with a figured top on the sides, especially with such a neck angle- so it gives it a pretty unique feel.

Because there are no overhyped dj0nt guys paid by Schecter to play em.

Although to be fair I wouldn't necessarily say the Pasadena are pure Djonk$t pickups, they're more flexible than that.
But things like the Apocalypse or Supercharger can certainly djent and chug among the best.
What I mean in general is

Change4od2cm.jpg

Zado

Reaction score
The KM-7 MkII is in a similar vein in terms of "natural" looks if you don't mind losing a tone control. Although unlike a lot of people, I do prefer the "neck showing" look so this one is slightly ahead IMO. Plus it's pretty rare to actually have the neck-through show with a figured top on the sides, especially with such a neck angle- so it gives it a pretty unique feel.

Although to be fair I wouldn't necessarily say the Pasadena are pure Djonk$t pickups, they're more flexible than that.
But things like the Apocalypse or Supercharger can certainly djent and chug among the best.
What I mean in general is

View attachment 87541
You gotta understand their character and personality. Anderson pickups are a good example of that, people tend to swap them out on Strat-looking Anderson models cause they don't sound like your regular Fender single coil, but, hell, they are not meant to be a copy of those in the first place. Same for Schecter pickups, you won't find any ball-less Uber djenticulate earpiercing hifi sounding pickups in their lineup. That's why they aren't more popular.

mbardu

Reaction score
You gotta understand their character and personality. Anderson pickups are a good example of that, people tend to swap them out on Strat-looking Anderson models cause they don't sound like your regular Fender single coil, but, hell, they are not meant to be a copy of those in the first place. Same for Schecter pickups, you won't find any ball-less Uber djenticulate earpiercing hifi sounding pickups in their lineup. That's why they aren't more popular.

In fairness, I'm not really as connoisseur of vintage-voiced Fender-like single coils. My favorite single coils are EMGs (dat Gilmour tone...) and the Carvin AP11s so that's far from traditional :lol: .

Outside of niches like Djent, my thinking was more in terms of regular aftermarket replacement or upgrade pickups, and thinking specifically about humbuckers. Whenever the question is asked, you always get recommendations for the same "traditional" names, with some waves of fashionable brands that come and go thrown into the mix (BKP, Fishman...). Yet things like Anderson or Schecter, which have been consistently great for a long time rarely if ever get a mention ¯\_(ツ)_/¯