Notre Dame Cathedral Collapse...

• Thread starter BlackSG91
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They're calling it arsen? Hmm.. Maybe "some people did something".

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I'd wait before drawing any conclusions, but when you have an old building with extensive reno being performed- likely with a vast number of trades working simultaneously with (as oftentimes the case) piss-poor communication between them- and workers who forget how fire works when it's time for a smoke break, accidents are bound to happen.

Now imagine a church with less prominence and a lower maintenance budget- probably not in great condition to start with and likely distressed. Hell, of the two most prominent Catholic churches in my city- one has taken the wrecking ball in the past few months and the other is about to get it in a couple weeks- both after being allowed to deteriorate beyond repair.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
There is a thread on reddit that asked "What would be the equivilant of your country's Notre Dame if it were to burn down?" or something like that...and it was amusing to see a fair number of people responding with the name of the place, and then adding, "Oh...wait..." with a link to the historic building having caught fire or burned down. In some cases, twice.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd wait before drawing any conclusions, but when you have an old building with extensive reno being performed- likely with a vast number of trades working simultaneously with (as oftentimes the case) piss-poor communication between them- and workers who forget how fire works when it's time for a smoke break, accidents are bound to happen.

Now imagine a church with less prominence and a lower maintenance budget- probably not in great condition to start with and likely distressed. Hell, of the two most prominent Catholic churches in my city- one has taken the wrecking ball in the past few months and the other is about to get it in a couple weeks- both after being allowed to deteriorate beyond repair.
I am not jumping to conclusions as to why this phenomenon exists, but just saying it is odd

But you are kinda drawing conclusions already yourself. You are insinuating that all of these fires are probably due to a worker carelessly flicking their cigarette butt.

As an actual coincidence though, the new Periphery album has a song called Chvrch Bvrner. These French churches along with that other that happened a couple weeks ago (i think)...........whats with all these churches burning???

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
There is a thread on reddit that asked "What would be the equivilant of your country's Notre Dame if it were to burn down?" or something like that...and it was amusing to see a fair number of people responding with the name of the place, and then adding, "Oh...wait..." with a link to the historic building having caught fire or burned down. In some cases, twice.

Man, if the combination pizza hut and taco bell burnt down, I don't know what I'd do...

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Someone said Kirk Hammett did it. Apparently he was bragging about it on tweeter or some shit.

Edika

Reaction score
I heard about it yesterday but was hoping they'd be able to put out the fire with minimal damage. I've seen it up close and it was a marvelous building.

Demiurge

Reaction score
But you are kinda drawing conclusions already yourself. You are insinuating that all of these fires are probably due to a worker carelessly flicking their cigarette butt.

I was broadly insinuating that when you have a situation where there are many opportunities for negligence or carelessness, you look there first when considering a cause.

Conspiracy theorists usually dispense with any sort of considerations altogether and go for what is usually the most logistically-improbable narrative. The improbability is dismissed as, "that's just how high it goes," and evidence dismissed as, "that's what they want you to think".

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
Almost 1 Billion € donated... basically to France and the catholic Church. For fire damage during insured construction work.

WTF is wrong with people?! I mean yeah... nice old church. I love old gothic churches, but don't we have bigger problems? Where are those moneybags when the real shit happens?

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Almost 1 Billion € donated... basically to France and the catholic Church. For fire damage during insured construction work.

WTF is wrong with people?! I mean yeah... nice old church. I love old gothic churches, but don't we have bigger problems? Where are those moneybags when the real shit happens?

Well notre dame is a cultural institution.

The money will go towards rebuilding and all that.

Also it’s not actually a church. It does a lot of other stuff too.

No one wants to donate money to actually helping people or building things people actually need to use.

Eh.

Felvin

Friesian Hamburger
Reaction score
Yes you're right, it's more than just an old church. But the point is: It would be rebuilt even without any donations. It's just too important as a tourist magnet and monument. And its 'just' a building. A nice old building - but still a building.

*sigh*

chopeth

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't see so much compasion and empathy when there were 150 dead in the last Bangladesh fire and nobody donated a pence. Yeah, Notre Damme is a symbol of Europe's art and culture but we sometimes miss the point crying so much not for what we really should.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't see so much compasion and empathy when there were 150 dead in the last Bangladesh fire and nobody donated a pence. Yeah, Notre Damme is a symbol of Europe's art and culture but we sometimes miss the point crying so much not for what we really should.
Who would want Pence anyway?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Well notre dame is a cultural institution.

The money will go towards rebuilding and all that. .

Aaaand most importantly it's a tax rebate. Hence all the big french fortunes familiar with the dutch sandwich for their companies chiming in. They're just laundering money.

FYI, atm the most likely cause is an electric failure because the company doing the renovation didn't follow the security procedures. It probably started an induction fire in a roof beam.

Yes you're right, it's more than just an old church. But the point is: It would be rebuilt even without any donations.
Yes and no. In these days, the state funding that kind of project alone would ruffle some feathers, and the politics scene is pretty busy at the moment. It would be objected that the state shouldn't spend money for Paris specifically, the city itself could do it but it woudl take an awful amount of time and it has better stuff to do with its money right now. People would also object to spending money for a religious building. The catholic church certainly can't afford it. All of the above would result in a cacophony that would lead to nothign being done for ages.

I'd personally like it to be rebuilt, but with modifications so we actually remember it almost burned. Maybe a glass roof or something. I liked the church in the middle of Berlin a lot, it was remade functional by keeping old parts and merging them with new. sort of how they added a glass pyramid in the Louvre. Although a very hot topic at the time, it is now compeletely accepted.

Last edited:

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
The catholic church certainly can't afford it.
Let's ignore the fact that Notre Dame is owned by the French state for a second. How many billions exactly would the reconstruction cost? The Catholic church easily has enough to cover that.