Now this is a rack tuner...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When it comes to tuning you can't be too accurate.

Tell me about it. Once you're used to things really being in tune, they're indispensable. Of course, it might also mean that you re-track parts five times because your damn B string keeps going out of tune in your cold basement, but... :wallbash:

Auslander

Complete Bastard
Reaction score
Tell me about it. Once you're used to things really being in tune, they're indispensable. Of course, it might also mean that you re-track parts five times because your damn B string keeps going out of tune in your cold basement, but... :wallbash:

But..it's worth it!

:hbang:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Part of me always felt bad for DSS3 for being SO fixated on whatever Andy Sneap did (then again, as a total Steven Wilson fanboi I'm in no place to talk :lol:) but I WILL confess to kind of enjoying reading the fresh twist in this thread. :lol:

I actually like the Korg entry level tuners - their guitar-specific tuners have a seven string mode, which is just cool of them, and they seem more accurate than anything else in their price range. But ever since getting a Peterson, I've only used my old Korg for quick "let's get it ballpark while I'm setting trem angle, and then finish it with the Peterson upstairs" work.

Besides, Peterson has kickass taste in company names. :wub:

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I really want one, but I'm having a hard time justifying spending $400 on a tuner. I guess my stuff is "good enough" right now, eventually I'll cough up the money I imagine. I want it more just for intonating my guitars, my Schecter is off enough that I can really hear it, but I'm too lazy to fix it, and my RG7CT is out, but not that bad, I'm just going by the saddles for the bottom 4 strings are pretty much lined up...

Auslander

Complete Bastard
Reaction score
I'm just going by the saddles for the bottom 4 strings are pretty much lined up...

That might be a sign right there (of course I'm not exactly sure what you mean by lined up). Saddles are usually set at a slight angle, with the lower string saddle furthest back) rather than being all at the same point. This reflects the length of the string. On a number of guitars these days the lower strings are often passed through the body further back than the higher ones, making it easier to adjust those on the bridge, as opposed to the saddles always being as far back as possible and the intonation still being out.

As far as that goes, things are definitely improving on the construction/bridge position front.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
That might be a sign right there (of course I'm not exactly sure what you mean by lined up). Saddles are usually set at a slight angle, with the lower string saddle furthest back) rather than being all at the same point. This reflects the length of the string. On a number of guitars these days the lower strings are often passed through the body further back than the higher ones, making it easier to adjust those on the bridge, as opposed to the saddles always being as far back as possible and the intonation still being out.

As far as that goes, things are definitely improving on the construction/bridge position front.

I mean the saddles are pretty much in the same position. It tunes up fine, and doing power chords down the neck don't sound bad though. But I'd still like a nice accurate tuner that tracks really well, and I have a 6 space rack that's begging to be filled up...but $400 is pretty steep. I'll probably just bear with it until I get my tax return or I kill someone and steal their money, whichever comes first.

Auslander

Complete Bastard
Reaction score
I mean the saddles are pretty much in the same position. It tunes up fine, and doing power chords down the neck don't sound bad though. But I'd still like a nice accurate tuner that tracks really well, and I have a 6 space rack that's begging to be filled up...but $400 is pretty steep. I'll probably just bear with it until I get my tax return or I kill someone and steal their money, whichever comes first.

It'll still tune up fine, but if the intonation is out, chords will go further and further out of tune the further up the neck you play them.

Also, when you do end up intonating your gtr, depending on what type of stuff you play, and where on the neck you play most, you might also consider intonating at the 18th fret instead of the 12th. I learned that years ago, and it really makes a noticeable difference if you're playing a lot of parts around the 12 fret area and above.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
It'll still tune up fine, but if the intonation is out, chords will go further and further out of tune the further up the neck you play them.

I know, it's tuning up fine, and chords sound okay going down the neck. The saddles being lined up is making me wary though :lol:

')