Nowadays high gain is affordable!!!

• Thread starter Kosthrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Let's highlight and collect here your recommendations for newcomers or someone in tight budget for affordable high gain stuff, instead of the starters' small amps. Of course there's always the used market, but this is not something available or stable always, morever a newcomer will usually hesitate to choose from.
I' ll make the start with a 7-string guitar & a high gain preamp pedal for $350:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

No, but really. Swap the Pacifica with any Ibanez/LTD or whatever and you're in town. Plus, the MKII katana has a power amp in, so you can use any preamp of your choice.

Stiman

Reaction score
EVH 5150 Iconic 15w or 40w

Truly awesome amps that sound so amazingly good at low volumes, have presence and resonance controls and more gain that you'll ever probably need. How I wish these existed when I was a teen starting out. The inflation adjusted price would be like $500 CAD in early 2000s.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
EVH 5150 Iconic 15w or 40w

Truly awesome amps that sound so amazingly good at low volumes, have presence and resonance controls and more gain that you'll ever probably need. How I wish these existed when I was a teen starting out. The inflation adjusted price would be like $500 CAD in early 2000s.
Yeah, these really are impressive. :yesway:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Gorilla. King of Amps. Put a mic on that bad boy and play arenas.

1019-MT-2.png

yv1eaoehnlridvvdljsu.jpg

Moongrum

Reaction score
I think I would push new guitarists to forgo an amp and buy an audio interface (assuming one has a decent computer). Most are fine: Scarlett Focusrite, Motu, etc. The sooner you become familiar with recording, the sooner you can make your own music. Don't be the kid with a half stack in your bedroom, going "I just need a drummer now and I can start a band!" I was that kid lol
As for guitar, whatever you think looks cool and inspires you to play.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think I would push new guitarists to forgo an amp and buy an audio interface (assuming one has a decent computer). Most are fine: Scarlett Focusrite, Motu, etc. The sooner you become familiar with recording, the sooner you can make your own music. Don't be the kid with a half stack in your bedroom, going "I just need a drummer now and I can start a band!" I was that kid lol

... Or a modeller / audio interface, like for example the inexpensive Hotone Ampero mini, which packs a ton of gain (multiple "flavors" too)

Matt08642

Reaction score

The time per day I spend playing easily tripled when I got an interface and some plugins to jam with. Highly recommended.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Between used market, behringer boss peavey moorer and joyo, i think its covered.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
Gorilla. King of Amps. Put a mic on that bad boy and play arenas.

1019-MT-2.png

yv1eaoehnlridvvdljsu.jpg

That exact Gorilla was my first amp. Sounded god awful. Then I got a Rocktek Metal Worker pedal and it sounded even worse.

I think that picture is giving me PTSD.

complex-barb.0t

Reaction score

No, but really. Swap the Pacifica with any Ibanez/LTD or whatever and you're in town. Plus, the MKII katana has a power amp in, so you can use any preamp of your choice.

My first setup was a Fender LT25, Pacifica 112v and one of the first pedals I bought was that Behringer. I didn’t know at the time how serviceable that stuff was and went down the gear rabbit hole.

Estilo

Reaction score
Those recommending interfaces, don't you have to pair those things with studio monitors? Those things cost more $$ too. Plus they are very directional and most cannot be against the wall so if space constraint is an issue, bear that in mind.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are also may tube high gain amps & preamps now, that are more affordable comparing to the past, i.e. Friedman IR-X, PRS MT-15, Marshall DSL20Hr etc...

Estilo

Reaction score
No. They don't. You can get away with just headphones. You can also use crappy computer speakers if it's all you have.
I'll take the computer speakers option. But those normally have a single male jack. Are there splitters/adaptors to connect into the LR outs of interfaces?

Stiman

Reaction score
I'll take the computer speakers option. But those normally have a single male jack. Are there splitters/adaptors to connect into the LR outs of interfaces?

Some interfaces have RCA out, which would work with a lot of computer speakers.

owlexifry

Reaction score
[Funeralopolis Riff Playing]
14953045_800.jpg
i just discovered octave fuzz the other day.
built a clone of the univox superfuzz, and omg i cannot believe how huge and wild this circuit from 1968 sounds.
i’ve never really gotten excited about fuzz much before, rat was ok, muff, eh, but this superfuzz octave thing is where it’s at for doom riffs, just something about it

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
')