NPAD - VHT GP3

• Thread starter phonix
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phonix

Reaction score
So I've wanted one of these forever and could never find one since they're rare over here. A local guy took pity on me and offered me his spare 230v Australian 'spare' that he had, so I couldn't say no. I'm going to modify the lead channel for more gain saturation but as it stands now it kicks pretty hard with EMG's and a boost pedal. Cleans are just pristine and crunch is anything you want basically...

VHT 2/90/2 on the way so this should be a killer combo for me :hbang:

photo4-1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

phonix

Reaction score
yeah I do lol, it can't match my deliverance so it needs to be improved gain wise.

Paired this up with a new cab yesterday too, loving the sound from this thing right now.

photo6.jpg

Reaction score
Believe it or not, its relatively tame gain was a big enough issue that they offered a higher gain mod. :scream:

Barring that, you might wanna try an OD like the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. That thing has SHIT TONS of gain IIRC, and the blend knob is a sweet feature.

phonix

Reaction score
Yeah I have the gain mod downloaded and have purchased the parts, going to get it done in the next couple of weekends. Just going to do the lead channel and see how I like it.

I have a Bodenhamer modded TS9 so that is really nice and transparent, adds no colour just boost which is nice.

phonix

Reaction score
Well I did the gain mod this afternoon.

photo7.jpg

Just the lead channel, didn't touch the others at this stage. Holy f***nuts batman, it absolutely rips now :hbang:

wakjob

Reaction score
What did the mod entail? Cathode/Plate resistor change?

phonix

Reaction score
I am not totally sure tbh. Steve Fryette posted the mod up and I just followed that. I think it's just a mod to increase input signal voltage to the gain stage, effectively like turning the gain boost up to say 15 instead of 10.

So happy - picked up the 2/90/2 today. It's barely had any use, around 6 band rehearsals and one gig.

Godddamn, this rig rocks so hard. The range of cleans and crunch tones you can get are amazing, voxy bright, fendery warm, really spanking attack with no breakup, just a little breakup etc. The tone knobs actually work and you can massively sculpt the sound with them.

The power amp is just amazing too. One thing I noticed is it all has a lower noise floor than a head. It's like playing with my noise gate (ISP decimator G string) but I'm not, really eerie silence when I mute the strings between playing while at full volume. Also the amp is so smooth in it's transition off zero, it's far more 'bedroom friendly' than the deliverance which really surprised me.

The gain mod and the bodenhamer bloody murder as a boost are just nuts now. To me this setup is just perfect.

Pics!!

photo5-2.jpg

photo4-2.jpg

photo1-6.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

phonix

Reaction score
Depends on your needs/personal taste I guess. In my opinion they aren't, compared to my deliverance it did not have as much gain or saturation. After the mod however, they sound about the same. Most of the ones you hear clips of (although rare) are gain modded.

I don't play djent but this is a gain modded GP3, no idea what his settings are but it gives you an idea:

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Very clean rack setup! Congrats!

The only thing I remember reading was that the GP3 can get really hot, but it looks like you've got the proper ventilation covered :)

phonix

Reaction score
Yeah the top cover gets pretty warm after awhile but fryette say it's normal. There are 6 12AX7's in it. That said I left a rack space above to help it out.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Amazing setup! I love Fryette stuff, I have a pittbull 50cl and it blows me away on a daily basis.

Latest posts

')