NPD! DiMarzio Ionizer 7 Bridge & Neck [Video]

• Thread starter Art
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisjd

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds real nice in that schecter. Did you have the duncan full shred in before? If so, how would you compare them? I love the Full Shred in my SLS.

Art

Reaction score
Those sound great dude! How would you compare them to the Illuminator set?

Both are great pickups. The Ionizer Bridge and the Illuminator Bridge sound very different to me. The Ionizer is like an Evo7 but with more body and less harsh. However it keeps the focus in the upper mids. The Illuminator bridge is darker, more focused in the lower mids. Both have a lot of definition and are very articulate. The Ionizer Bridge seems more compressed and you get more "punch" with it. If I had to choose one of them I'd choose the Ionizer. I really love its tone and the presence you get in the mix.

The neck versions are not as different as the bridge versions. The Illuminator neck has more mids and less output but the tone is pretty similar. However the Ionizer Neck reminds me to the PAF sound in some aspects, it's hard to explain. In this case, I'd choose the Ionizer Neck too.

Hope that helps!

JoeChugs

Reaction score
sound great man. i think from your description i'd personally go Illuminator but I enjoyed this

Reaction score
I love my Ionizers in my RG8, I actually wanna try the 7 string version... It sounds like Dimarzio actually got it to sound just like the 8 string version!

Art

Reaction score
It sounds like Dimarzio actually got it to sound just like the 8 string version!

I think the same. Definitely the Ionizers 7 are the best choice for 7 string guitars with long scale and low tuning (in my opinion, of course).

MrPowers

Reaction score
How would you compare the Ionizers to the D'Activators? I kind of like the D'Activators, but I want something with just a touch more body and growl.

Art

Reaction score
How would you compare the Ionizers to the D'Activators? I kind of like the D'Activators, but I want something with just a touch more body and growl.

I think that the Ionizers are better choice for you. I have some guitars with D-Activators and I miss more body. Yeah, they are aggressive and have a lot of power, but I really prefer the Ionizers because you have a similar output but more body and are more focused in the mids.

Whammy

Reaction score
Awesome demo :yesway:

I love the Evo (6-string version). The compression and the overtones.
But now I can't decide between the Evo7 & Ionizer7. I am leaning towards the Evo7 as I do like bright pickups, but what is your opinion on the dynamics of the pickup?
Does the Ionizer have a compressed vibe like the Evo?

I'm getting an Ionizer neck for sure. I've been waiting for DiMarzio to release a neck pickup just like it for what feels like a ages now.

Art

Reaction score
Awesome demo :yesway:

I love the Evo (6-string version). The compression and the overtones.
But now I can't decide between the Evo7 & Ionizer7. I am leaning towards the Evo7 as I do like bright pickups, but what is your opinion on the dynamics of the pickup?
Does the Ionizer have a compressed vibe like the Evo?

I'm getting an Ionizer neck for sure. I've been waiting for DiMarzio to release a neck pickup just like it for what feels like a ages now.

Thanks dude!

I think that the dynamics of the Evo7 and the Ionizer 7 are very similar. Maybe the Ionizer is slightly less compressed, but the difference is very small in my opinion. Anyway, it's very difficult to assess that, but I can say that when I play with the Ionizers is as if I was playing with an Evo7 with more low mids and highs that have been "rounded".

Whammy

Reaction score
Cheers man. That's very helpful for me :)
Still don't know which one I'll go for :lol:

Whammy

Reaction score
:lol:

What guitar you're going to upgrade?

It will be going into a UV777.
I have Lundgren M7's in the bridge & neck at the moment. I love these pickups but I want to restore the guitar back to it's original look (black dimarzios with black hex screws). Just not it's original sound :lol:

Art

Reaction score
It will be going into a UV777.
I have Lundgren M7's in the bridge & neck at the moment. I love these pickups but I want to restore the guitar back to it's original look (black dimarzios with black hex screws). Just not it's original sound :lol:

I think that the Ionizer would be great for that axe, dude. The Evo7 is too bright for a basswood guitar with pickguard (IMHO), but all depends of your taste, of course!

Latest posts

')