NPD: Duncan Nazgul Sentient into LACS (Sh!t aint easy content)

• Thread starter SpaceDock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
what do you think of the Sentients clean tone?

Some of the best out there IMO. I used to be the more traditional leads from the bridge player and I like that I can do harmonics very easily from the neck and yet it's not too brittle or crunchy. I had a jpxi and I could never gel with the lead tones on the liquifire.

Timelesseer

Reaction score
I did the exact same thing. It was too hard to pass up $40 off of the set. Have yours shipped yet? I ordered mine over a week ago and they still haven't shipped them.

Join the club. My roommate an I each ordered a set from Gearhounds a month ago. They listed them as In Stock so we went ahead and bought them. We've called 6 times to get status updates and keep getting the same run around..."They should be in on the next UPS truck, and should be shipping out in the next few days" We've heard that same excuse from the same guy for 3 straight weeks. He gave us a 100% guarantee that they'll be shipping by next Tuesday, but I frankly don't expect them too. We'll be cancelling our order and buying from somewhere else if they don't ship by next week. EXTREMELY disappointed with Gearhounds...definitely won't be giving them any more business after this.

saxman42

Reaction score
Join the club. My roommate an I each ordered a set from Gearhounds a month ago. They listed them as In Stock so we went ahead and bought them. We've called 6 times to get status updates and keep getting the same run around..."They should be in on the next UPS truck, and should be shipping out in the next few days" We've heard that same excuse from the same guy for 3 straight weeks. He gave us a 100% guarantee that they'll be shipping by next Tuesday, but I frankly don't expect them too. We'll be cancelling our order and buying from somewhere else if they don't ship by next week. EXTREMELY disappointed with Gearhounds...definitely won't be giving them any more business after this.

Wow... That's good to know. Thank you very much! I'll probably cancel my order tomorrow and just order them through a local shop. I'd rather give business to a local place anyway. That's the first and last time I'll order from Gearhounds.

charlessalvacion

Reaction score
Nice guitar!! Btw, how are the distorted lead tones from the Sentient?
I love fluid Solos / Sweeps. Can the Sentient deliver those tones? Thanks!

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Lookin' tasty dude! Reminds me of my RGD2127z with Pegasus/Sentient pair I just soldered in last week. I can't wait to try a Nazgul. Need a warmer bodied 7!

The Pegasus sounds huge and fat in the RGD. Huge low end and low mids. Very clear and snarly. I love the voicing. Great for leads. It is a darker AV pickup, and I'd love to contrast it with the Nazgul. Sentient definitely rips for leads: fat, fluid, and loud. Very punchy mids too without any harsh top end.

lukeshallperish

Total Gear Slut
Reaction score
Pegasus sounds huge and fat in the RGD. Huge low end and low mids. Very clear and snarly. I love the voicing. Great for leads. It is a darker AV pickup, and I'd love to contrast it with the Nazgul.

Ive been back and forth between getting the pegasus or the nazgul, and I think what its coming down to is which ultimately has more clarity and punch and attack (or at least the best combination), especially in the low end.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I've seen both keith merrow and ola englund A/B them in a video. It seems the Nazgul is a tiny bit hotter with slightly more mids and tiny bit less treble. SD gives the distortion and EQ of 5/8/9 bass, mid, treble, and i got an 'unofficial subjective' specs on the nazgul that came from a SD forum admin that the nazgul was 5/9/8. The DC resistance on the DD7 is ~ 19.5k and the Nazgul is ~16.5k, and I think the Nazgul is wound with 43awg wire instead of 44awg. so that explains the lower DC rating. The Pegasus sounds good too, but i'm worried it won't be bright or hot enough. Especially in a neck though mahogany guitar. so many options!

I am planning on a set of distortions for sure in my SG once my 7 is in order.

The Pegasus is for brighter guitars; it's a darker Alnico V pickup. Very warm, rich, and full of dynamic response to your picking and finger tone.
It is not a hot pickup, say compared to a Painkiller or SD Distortion. But for what it's supposed to do I think it is amazing. Cleans up super well and never muds up under immense gain.

Glad to see another review of these up here. I had a hell of a time fitting my Pegasus/Sentient combo in my RGD2127z, but short of routing I wiggled them in there. Wiring wasn't terrible using SD diagram for a push-pull pot. Regardless I love the set and can't wait to try a Nazgul. In fact, I'm stoked to try a Black Winter 7, in both Ceramic and Alnico V magnets. I have no clue how an A VIII would sound either.

How is the Nazgul in the brighter wood body? I've been under the impression I should put it in a darker wood guitar. I may just throw one in the RGD and let it ride regardless.

Colossal Incantation

Reaction score
The Sentient does deliver plenty of fluid goodness and the Nazgul will sound great in both brighter and darker bodies. Very versatile in that respect. The Pegasus, while aggressive, is a little rounder. So if you are after tightness and grind in your distortion, go with the Nazgul.

Latest posts

')