NPD: Duncan Nazgul Sentient into LACS (Sh!t aint easy content)

• Thread starter SpaceDock
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
I've installed pickups into ten plus guitars over the years, Strats, Jacksons, Ibanez, and it's never easy. Active pickups are always so finicky with the grounding, I had to route out an S5470 to get the pickups in all the way once.

These came with screws that don't even fit the tab holes and were WAY too long for almost any guitar body. I think pickup companies expect people are only installing in Les Pauls by their shit directions and included parts.

To fit these into my LACS I needed to file the round tabs to fit into the triangle routes. I needed foam from under some old pickups to balance them out as they were tightened down. The poles under the pickups are so long these barely fit at all.

I won't even go into trying to get the wiring correct since Duncan and Dimarzio have different wiring color codes and the internet is filled with incorrect diagrams.

That said, these rock balls. The Nazgul sounds huge and really adds some nice crunch. The Sentient is very high output for a neck but doesn't distort clean. Really nice combo for metal, a huge step up from the D-activator PAF combo that was in here.

The wrapping is kinda stringy around the edges and I'm not sure if these will get torn up after a year or so, we'll find out...

TLDR? Here's your pics!

s77q.jpg

u3n3.jpg

7szl.jpg

h1oo.jpg

p8q5.jpg

u45v.jpg

yt6c.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love that set - have them in a few of my guitars.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I still need to order a set of these sometime.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Those look sweet! I had similar problems installing my Distortion/'59 set into my 7620 since the pole screws were taller than the tabs :wallbash: not to mention that the SD's were already taller than the New7's in the guitar stock. A little routing, some foam, and a pot wax later, they're killer pickups in the guitar, just not quite what I'm going for.

How would you compare the Nazgul to a Distortion?

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
^ I've never had a distortion so I can't say, but there is a Keith Merrow video where he AB's them.

These are VERY tight and almost act like they are quieting the strings that you aren't playing, if that makes sense. The cleans are really good, but holy shit I just played them through my mesa and the sentient lead tones absolutely rip!

I used D Activator, Blackouts, 707, and Blaze pickups on 7's and the Nazgul has the best clarity and tone for the low B without question.

saxman42

Reaction score
I ordered this set with the active covers for my RGA7 a couple of nights ago. I can't wait to try them out. I wish a shop around Fort Collins stocked them, but there was no such luck. I guess I'll just have to wait patiently. Do you have any complaints about them (aside from difficulties installing them)?

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
^ I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I've got no complaints. Cleans, chugs, shreddies all sound great.

I can't emphasize enough how clean these are with such high output. They really quiet all of the noise that I got with d-activators and crunch labs.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
To the OP, the finish on the pups are PERFECT for the RGD finish, happy npd man!

Also I haven't tried any duncans but I would reccomend talking to djpharoah about how they compare to the distortions. I think he's tried every set from them :lol:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Very cool. I have a set of the soapbars on the way. I was on the fence about these, but Gearhounds had a solid deal.

saxman42

Reaction score
Very cool. I have a set of the soapbars on the way. I was on the fence about these, but Gearhounds had a solid deal.

I did the exact same thing. It was too hard to pass up $40 off of the set. Have yours shipped yet? I ordered mine over a week ago and they still haven't shipped them.

Reaction score
I'm glad to see a positive review. I've been deciding between a set of Distortions or the Nazgul-Sentient Combo for my ARZ307 . I have also considered a set of D-Activators

saxman42

Reaction score
I'm glad to see a positive review. I've been deciding between a set of Distortions or the Nazgul-Sentient Combo for my ARZ307 . I have also considered a set of D-Activators

I can vouch for the 6 string Distortions. I put one of those in the bridge of my SG and absolutely love it! It REALLY brought the guitar to life. When I finally get the Nazgul installed in my Ibanez, I'll post a thread comparing the two.

Reaction score
I've seen both keith merrow and ola englund A/B them in a video. It seems the Nazgul is a tiny bit hotter with slightly more mids and tiny bit less treble. SD gives the distortion and EQ of 5/8/9 bass, mid, treble, and i got an 'unofficial subjective' specs on the nazgul that came from a SD forum admin that the nazgul was 5/9/8. The DC resistance on the DD7 is ~ 19.5k and the Nazgul is ~16.5k, and I think the Nazgul is wound with 43awg wire instead of 44awg. so that explains the lower DC rating. The Pegasus sounds good too, but i'm worried it won't be bright or hot enough. Especially in a neck though mahogany guitar. so many options!

I am planning on a set of distortions for sure in my SG once my 7 is in order.

KevHo

Reaction score
Thanks for the post, sir. I've been waiting for an SS review of the Nazgul.

')