NPD Mojotone Tomahawk Dustie Waring set

Edika

Reaction score
Last thread for today I promise. i lost my camera's cable and the card reader on my laptop crapped out. Luckily it has a wifi function but I didn't have that much time to download images the last few weeks.

A bit of backstory, I decided to tune one of my Jackson Soloists in C as most of my guitars at the time were tuned in E standard. Initially I thought the guitar had D-Activators and thought they'd be able to handle a C tuning. They sounded really high output and really nice and deep in E standard with lots of low mids, which should have been an indication. Long story short putting D'Addario 12-60's and tuning it to C was a disaster. I even tried B to see if the strings would behave better but no joy. I changed to a lighter gauge and moved the pickups as far away as I could but still they were too hot and accentuating some unpleasant frequencies.

I was thinking of going to D or back to E when this set came up for sale by cip 123. As I wasn't familiar with the pickups I asked his opinion about them. I found only two youtube videos of how they sound but I wan't sure if they were representative and wasn't ecstatic about them. However since they had an AlNiCo5 core with ceramic flanks, something I liked a lot in sound on my Omega Cerberus, and speaking with cip and getting his opinion I decided to give them a go. He sold them for a good price so if I didn't like them I could make my money back. My interaction with cip in the past where positive as he did own the LTD BS-7 I had and steered e away from buying a pair of pickups he was selling that I was considering as he felt they wouldn't suit the guitar with what I had in mind in terms of sound.

So the pickups arrived I installed them and they sound great. Really balanced, really clear and I have to say the bridge pickups sounds great both clean and distorted. There are still low mids there, which seem to be the trait of the specific Jackson but the lows and low mids are now tight and the mud has gone. I have to say I'm really happy with them! Not fond of the brushed chrome and would have preferred his black covers but they don't look that bad. Especially with the stainless steel intonation and locking nut screws.

DSC_0860.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lyonk55

Reaction score
Looks cool! Glad you like them: I've got a Waring PRS on the way and have wondered what the pickups will be like, but like you say, not much talk about them.

Edika

Reaction score
I have been trying these past few days to record something for a few unusual pickups I have but I'm so far behind in this aspect I'm getting there reaaaally slowly. I'll try though and it might be somewhat useful to someone.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
HNPD
any chance of clips?
There's basically no good demos out there of these or the hornets.

Edika

Reaction score
HNPD
any chance of clips?
There's basically no good demos out there of these or the hornets.

I've been trying these past few days to record something with these and the Omega pickups I have into two other guitars but I suck so much at recording. I tried with a camera and the sound was distorting badly. I'll probably try again and reduce the volume of the amp as much as possible. I managed to connect my SM-57 on my sound card and managed to get something relatively decent there I just have to try and play something consistently enough in clean and distortion to give a relative accurate idea of what I'm listening in the room. It will be in different guitars and no where near as indicative as you're doing with putting them in the same PRS with the same tuning as I have all three guitars with different tunings. I'm not sure if I should just noodle or try to play a song to highlight them.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
I've been trying these past few days to record something with these and the Omega pickups I have into two other guitars but I suck so much at recording. I tried with a camera and the sound was distorting badly. I'll probably try again and reduce the volume of the amp as much as possible. I managed to connect my SM-57 on my sound card and managed to get something relatively decent there I just have to try and play something consistently enough in clean and distortion to give a relative accurate idea of what I'm listening in the room. It will be in different guitars and no where near as indicative as you're doing with putting them in the same PRS with the same tuning as I have all three guitars with different tunings. I'm not sure if I should just noodle or try to play a song to highlight them.
ah ok. I do have a tomahawk bridge/hornet neck that I got from Cheap, guess I'll have to get round to demoing them soon :lol:

')