NPD: Mooer 012 Fried-Mien (+ Amptweaker)

• Thread starter Bentaycanada
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
I found a Mooer 012 Fried-Mien preamp pedal for $60 today. I already have the 005 EVH model, which I think is fantastic. This is my 5th Mooer preamp pedal, having previously also owned the 001 Gas Station (Diezel Hagen), 002 UK Gold 900 (Marshall JCM 900) and 009 Blacknight (Engl Blackmore).

One question I always get is, "do they really sound like the real amps?". That's very hard, almost impossible to answer, as they lack a lot compared to their real amp counterparts. IMO it also comes down to what you're really expecting from a $99 pedal that's supposedly emulating a 3K amp.

In my experience, the 009 sounded like an Engl, but not specific (I've owned 4 Engl amps). The 001 sounded much better than the real Diezel VH4 pedal in an A/B test, although they are based on different models. The 002 was one of the best MIAB pedals I've ever played, and was every bit a JCM as they come. Finally the 005, like I said, is excellent. It sounds VERY like an EVH 5150 III, and is the only model I played where I honestly kept forgetting I wasn't playing an actual real amp.

Now the new 012 model is obviously based on a Friedman, and I'm guessing the BE100. The guy I bought it from has an actual BE100 and used this pedal for live shows when a 100w amp wasn't necessary. He said he liked it, but it wasn't really a true representation of the real deal.

First off, the pedal has way more gain on tap than I believe an actual BE100 has. The biggest problem straight away is the treble. Like the 001, the treble is just too present and hard to dial out. I thought all was lost until...... my trusted Amptweaker Defizzerator took care of this with ease! One simple twist of the knob and boom(!) it's a GREAT modded Marshall pedal!
Now with the treble at 11 (o'clock) and the mids at 2 (o'clock), this little wonder is arguably one of the best Friedman style pedals you could ask for! I'm so impressed with both humbuckers and single coils that I might have to pick up a BE-OD to A/B it with!

E4A06A06-4204-42F4-A03A-CE8CC1AAB521.jpeg

I have argued before that having owned Axe FX Ultra, Atomic AFB and Line 6 Helix. I think these budget conscious mini pedals hold their own in tone and features!
For my money, these preamp pedals are the best product currently on the market.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crwnedblasphemy

all things metal!
Reaction score
Agree too. I own the 005, just ordered the 015, and they sent me another 005. So I have to send it back and get replaced. I thought about the 012, and am on the fence. Ive heard some great clips of it. Cleans sound really good. But some clips the lead tone sounds just a tad synthetic. As stated above, when I run the 005 into Logic with IRs, It sounds real real close to the 5150III blue channel and feels pretty amp like. I hope the 015/p5150 sounds similar to the real deal?

Bentaycanada

Reaction score
Agree too. I own the 005, just ordered the 015, and they sent me another 005. So I have to send it back and get replaced. I thought about the 012, and am on the fence. Ive heard some great clips of it. Cleans sound really good. But some clips the lead tone sounds just a tad synthetic. As stated above, when I run the 005 into Logic with IRs, It sounds real real close to the 5150III blue channel and feels pretty amp like. I hope the 015/p5150 sounds similar to the real deal?

The 012 impresses me more every time I play it. I ran it through a Yorkville FRFR today, and it's as good as any Helix modded Marshall tone. I always thought Helix did the Marshall sounds best of all the modelers I've owned.
I just run the 012 with the Defizzerator, leaving the treble below noon and mids above. I don't really like it with a boost in front. Just straight into the guitar sounds very natural, and VERY modded Marshall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

')