NPD - Santa was generous this year ! Many pedals inside

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
So for christmas this year I really wanted some new pedals so I coul play more with my amp and less with guitar rig.

I already have a vox vt30 which is nice but not the best amp in the world, but until i can afford a Jcm800, the Vox's jcm800 preset will do.
Two years ago I bought a Big muff and a vox Wah and soon realised that I couldn't spend all my money with batteries but in the same time didn't wanted individual power supplies.

So this summer I made a list of the pedals I wanted and this christmas, I bought the most ensential ones !

So first, a power supply.
I went for the best, and bought a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus
It's really pricey but at beast. Heavy as fcuk, but really solid.
It can power 8 pedals, and each DC output is isolated (this thing made me take the voodoo over a t rex fuel tank (blue one) which didn't have isolated outputs).
you can do lots of things with the Voodoo PP2P (reverse polarity, emulated a battery at the end of its life...)
1388167607-img-0601.jpg

Next on my list, an overdrive. I went for a Fulltone OCD. This is a pedal that I've wanted for a long time, it's just great. with my jcm800 simulation, it boost the sound, makes it a bit more aggressive. I really like it.
1388167604-img-0600.jpg

With a OD or a Disto, you'll need a gate, so I bought a Boss NS-2 and works really well. It suppress the buzz and hiss from the OCD but the only complaint is that my Vox doesn't have a effects loop, so I can't suppress the 'waterfall' sound coming from my amp when the OCD is engaged.
1388167594-img-0599.jpg

Last but not least, I wanted a new tuner, so I bought a Tc electronic Polytune 2. It andles the 7 string well. No problem to find the A or a G.
I like it a lot.
1388167598-img-0596.jpg

And here are some pics of my full rig. Pretty simple but does the job well.
Until I can afford a real jcm800 and a cab (the room here is fully insonorisated (is this word exist ?) (I mean, we built it so no sound comes out when the door is closed (for my dad's drums and my guitar amp).
For the cables, it's a mess !! :D I'll deal with them later, when i'll buy a pedalboard in the future !
My list is almost empty now ! I just want a Boss DD-7 (delay) and a Boss RV-5 (Reverb) for my leads and I'll will be a happy man !!)
1388167583-img-0595.jpg

1388167609-img-0602.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
The Voodoo Lab's PP2 is the way to go. I have one mounted underneath my Pedaltrain 2 pedal board. My pedals are dead silent. No hum or noise at all.

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Awesome haul!

Question though: Looks like you have your NS-2 going in front of your OCD and your Muff in the chain.... is there a reason for that I missed?

If not, put it at the end of your chain, or at least after your drive and fuzz, but before any modulation or reverd/delay you might add later, and you'll have MUCH better results.

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
Awesome haul!

Question though: Looks like you have your NS-2 going in front of your OCD and your Muff in the chain.... is there a reason for that I missed?

If not, put it at the end of your chain, or at least after your drive and fuzz, but before any modulation or reverd/delay you might add later, and you'll have MUCH better results.

You think ? i've always thought the gate comes before the od.
The fuzz is just here for the looks ! it barely gets played (only when i'm a BlackKeys/Wolfmother mood !).

I'll try what you say and get back to you !

Axewield31

Reaction score
Yeah, that won't be suppressing any of the noise from the muff and the OCD. It has to be after them.

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score
I'm back ! So i put the gate after the ocd, and miracle, no waterfall sound coming from the amp, just no sound a all !

Thank you guys for the advice !!

Metalman X

Reaction score
no prob, dude.... always glad when I can actually help someone out with some good advice (usually I'm a terrible role model :evil: )

Also, if your amp has a loop and you wanna get some serious noise control when using the amp's gain too.... give this a whirl:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/VH100R/ns2_x_connection.gif

I'm back ! So i put the gate after the ocd, and miracle, no waterfall sound coming from the amp, just no sound a all !

Thank you guys for the advice !!

Valnob

about tree fiddy
Reaction score

Metalman X

Reaction score
I would do it if it had a fx loop, but it hasn't one :(

bummer. Surprised it doesn't have one, honestly.

Well, so long as your only using your pedals for your gain, just keep it it the way it is now (w/ the NS-2 after your dirt pedals in the chain) and your fine. If you get an amp w/ a loop, and use the amp's own gain, the loop, or the "X" method would be the way to go. Generally, you just want to place it after whatever is the noisiest part of your chain, which will typically be any dirt boxes.

Some people knock the ns-2, claiming tone suckage.... but on any rig of I've ever owned, it's really been a negligible to almost unnoticeable degree. Nothing that dialing your treble a c-hair won't really compensate for realistically. I n other words, I find the NS-2 to be a staple in any rig I build as it works really damn well in a number of set ups.