NPD: These will rape your Bare Knuckles.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
mod edit: take this review with a BIG grain of salt since these AMAZING ZOMG KILL BKP pickups were listed for sale after a month

Reviving the art of pic story.

UPS man interrupts me during Miley time. I'll let it slide this time because I know its worth it.
2011-04-22175846.jpg

I'm strapped 24/7.
2011-04-22175904.jpg

Obliterate the tape!!!
2011-04-22175946.jpg

What is it? Is the anticipation flustering you yet?
2011-04-22180021.jpg

And there it is my ninjaz, there it is.
2011-04-22180035.jpg

LACE ALUMITONE DEATHBUCKERS. Probably the worst name ever.
2011-04-22180045.jpg

2011-04-22180248.jpg

2011-04-22180442.jpg

2011-04-22180504.jpg

Mounted on a gold ring....what in the world will this go into?
2011-04-22181237.jpg

Your new home is....
2011-04-24185524.jpg

2011-04-24191152.jpg

A heavily upgraded RGT42.
2011-04-24194413.jpg

Review:

The RGT pictured is my ultimate death metal machine: a neck through mahogany body, and the gold lopro on green is $$$. The search for pickups is finally done with this guitar.

These pickups are quite the alien. Think of the degree of how different EMGs are to regular passives and apply that to this (compared to both EMGs and regulars). Its a whole different animal. They are so thick yet so clear with tons of harmonics no matter where you are on the fretboard. The have an extremely low resistance, but a ridiculously high output that creates a wide frequency response that captures everything beautifully.

I tune down to C# standard with 11's. When I first hit an open power chord, it was a wall of grizzly sound.....I was quite worried at that point. With that first chord still resonating I thought that these pickups would sound (i hate to use this word but) muddy and inarticulate from being overly bassy. But as I riffed on it I noticed that despite the gigantic low-end, it was the tightest goddamn pickup I've ever heard in my life. There was indeed that low end, but there was also mids and highs sitting there right with it. Every note jumps out crystal clear, chords are thick but have distinct clarity, and palm mutes are fucking devastating. It took time to get used to how much output these have. Despite the output, I experienced no feedback. (Lace said these were dead silent, but i did have some noise. I'm gonna blame that on my amp and power though). I think the inherent wide-range design of pickup captures more bass harmonics , but I ran through a GE-7 equalizer to trim off some of the low end and its downright amazing.

But it doesn't end there. These have an AMAZING CLEAN SOUND. I'll be honest, I don't have much experience with single-coil pickups outside the middles in Ibanez, but these Deathbuckers have by far the most beautiful cleans of any pickups I've ever played. So much so that though I thought this would be my strictly death metal guitar, I'm going to have to use it elsewhere too!

All in all, I'm really pleased with this and looking forward to trying more Lace products.

EDIT: a few hours later, I find myself playing clean more so than distortion, lol. Thats how impressed by them I am. They have a hi-fi sound, but sterile is one of the last things that comes to mind. What gets me even more, is that I'm playing through a Vader cab.....I can't wait to hear this through V30s. What gets me EVEN MORE is that I haven't wired them for coil taps. If they sound this good already, I think I will be in tears of joy when I hear them split. AND apparently there's no volume drop when split. suck it bitches!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
Very interesting review, I've read up a little on them over the years and the few demos I heard of them, they sounded a little on the sterile side, But i'm sure with the right amp setting the absolutely kill. Any chance for posting clips? I'd love to hear the crushing death metal setting you speak of. Oh yeah, and they look absolutely awesome in the Ibby. :yesway:

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Hopefully I can get some clips tomorrow or the day after.

I'm dying to hear what these sound like cranked, and I have my other halfstack at work (where I can crank it loud).

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
i need more guitars so i can buy more pickups

This was my exact thought when I went to post a reply.

EDIT:
Time to satisfy my GAS for that Ibanez Mikro.

Another EDIT:
OP, what knife is that? Looks like a pocket knife I had some time ago.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
This was my exact thought when I went to post a reply.

EDIT:
Time to satisfy my GAS for that Ibanez Mikro.

Another EDIT:
OP, what knife is that? Looks like a pocket knife I had some time ago.

Its a $21 dollar Winchester I purchased from walmart. it got dull pretty quick, but thats good because it will hurt more if I have to stab someone. :lol:

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
Its a $21 dollar Winchester I purchased from walmart. it got dull pretty quick, but thats good because it will hurt more if I have to stab someone. :lol:

Though it looked familiar. I had one similar if not the same one. Cheap stainless blades usually dull quickly. Gerbers usually hold their edge pretty well, but there's a reason they cost more.

And on topic:
Do those pups have much string pull? How's the sustain?

And you need to wire those for coil taps soon, man. I'm anxious to hear how they sound that way. Thinking about tossing out the DiMarzios in my Washburn for a set of these.

Reaction score
That RGT42 looks like its in Black Pearl finish which would make it a basswood body instead of mahogany that they switched over to after those.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
they're both maple neck-thru's though, right? I don't think the wings are going to be influencing the tone as much as the neck in either case.

also, congrats on the acquisition! clips if you've got 'em. :yesway:

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
And on topic:
Do those pups have much string pull? How's the sustain?

didn't pay much attention to that, but should be good...didn't notice anything lacking while playing it. I'll do another review tomorrow with a video!

That RGT42 looks like its in Black Pearl finish which would make it a basswood body instead of mahogany that they switched over to after those.

Indeed it is an RGT42bp, but I'm sorry to say that you are wrong sir. They made these in mahogany as well, as shown by everybody who strips them.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Do you have a link for these pups? I couldn't find them on their website

')