NPD - What could it be?

• Thread starter abstract
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abstract

Reaction score
Well, this supposedly arrived at my house last wednesday, but since the mailman is antisocial the bell didn't ring (just kidding, I'm a lazy slacker and I overslept). So I went to the post office that evening and received a mysterious package...
155017_474026979040_619064040_5543403_4712293_n.jpg

...and opened it to find a mysterious box. For some strange reason, it doesn't have a product name on it. I wonder why...?
155017_474026984040_619064040_5543404_7543593_n.jpg

...inside I find these!
74415_474027274040_619064040_5543416_8378367_n.jpg

If you hadn't already figured it out, this is the Aftermath set I ordered from the good people at BKP. Turnaround was lightning fast and Tim did his very best to accommodate my needs (a resounding success I might add). The DCR on these two read 15k even - bridge and 11k even - neck. The bridge Aftermath is everything it's being built up to be lately. Since they came out I've seen quite a few NA(ftermath)D threads, and they all touch on it's strengths. Right off the bat: It is SO tight. Easily the tightest pickup I've ever played. My equations prove "the notes can mute so fast that they end before they even begin...and still sound freaking HUGE." It's my theory of Aftermath-Relativity. Basically; Tim has created a pickup so tight it has the ability to travel back in time.

Not only is it tight, but it's also super defined. Chords ring out clear in the thickest of distortion on the lowest of strings. The midrange is pretty balanced compared to the JB that was in the bridge of my Schecter C7 Blackjack before the swap, which I found to be very high-mid heavy and a bit tough to stay in control of. The Aftermath has balanced but pronounced mids that are absolutely crushing, but easy to work into your overall tone. Maybe it's time-travel abilities are what gives it such a good rock crunch tone to compliment it's djenty-br00talz. Switching from AlNiCo in the JB to ceramic in the Aftermath was also a very positive transition for me. I just never get along with alnico pickups. The high-end cut with the Aftermath is also very noticeable. I have to use completely different amp settings moving from my C-Pig and ESP 6 string to my 7 string. That's fine though, since I use a midi footswitch.

Now, on to the neck pickup. I really have to thank Nolly yet again (I've already nominated him for best person alive) for suggesting that I get a ceramic magnet in both pickups. I was asking about which neck pickup to get back over on the BKP boards and I mentioned Misha's "Painkiller-neck" lead tone as something I was going for. Nolly (who'd originally enlightened me as to what pickup and guitar were causing my tone-stiffy) mentioned one of Tim's previous neck-Aftermath prototypes that had a ceramic magnet. As it turns out, it was the immediate precursor to the production Aftermath, the only difference being the magnet. I'm calling it the C-Math from now on because I'm too lazy to type "ceramic-neck-aftermath." The other person I need to thank is the man himself, Tim Mills, for absolutely killing it with this pickup. It just sounds perfect to me. It's bright, open, articulate, very sensitive to pick attack, and a rolled-back sound full of character. My Rock 'n Roll peeps love it, my br00tal m3htulz peeps love it, and I'm thinking of proposing to it. :lol:

Sorry I'm a little late, since I've been talking up my ownership of these. This happened about five days ago, but since then I've been alternating between :wallbash: and :shred: and back to :wallbash: and again to :shred:. I had a bunch of technical problems, routing, and a bout of paranoia to deal with before I could really take these for a test-drive. As of now my Blackjack only has one pot (volume, and it's backwards :hbang:), a 3 way strat switch with electric tape on the end because I lost the tip, and foam from the BKP box behind the bridge and nut to reduce ringing. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Your description makes me really want to try one of these out.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
How did you get a ceramic neck pup, I thought Aftermaths used AlNiCos in the neck.:scratch:

Also, can you post some sound clips?

NovaReaper

Banned
Reaction score
I ordered a 6 string bridge Aftermath yesterday. Reading this just makes me more fuckin stoked. Enjoy it!

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
How did you get a ceramic neck pup, I thought Aftermaths used AlNiCos in the neck.:scratch:

Also, can you post some sound clips?

Tim is willing to swap any magnets in any pickups at the customers request for no added fee. I have a Ceramic magnet nailbomb 8 waiting to go in my 8 string body, normally Nailbombs are Alnico

abstract

Reaction score
Will do, I just have to sort our a high-volume feedback issue with the way I have them mounted. I'm going to stick foam under the pickups soon and see how that does. If I still have problems, I'll record on the highest volume possible. Yeah, Nolly basically told me about the C-Math and I asked Tim if he could do it. He told me that it was the same as the production one but with a different magnet. You can have this done with any BKP, although it's most commonly seen with the bridge Nailbomb and Warpig (they have magnet options in the online store). Sometimes the Holy Diver is ordered as the old version which was ceramic. Once I saw someone order a Nailbomb set with both the bridge and neck ceramic.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
Ugh, doesn't help my gas for a set of Aftermath's, sir. I'm anticipating the clips :yesway:

abstract

Reaction score
Heres a shameless random-noodling clip of the bridge aftermath. Unfortunately the only online music thing I'm signed up for is myspace. I just threw this clip up on an old account that I never used. Myspace makes everything sound crappy quality, but the pickup's character is still there. No doubletracking, no drums and bass, no structure, just random crap. I haven't had time to do anything more, sorry. I'll get pics and clips of the neck pickup soon. I'm thinking of doing the first clean/solo-ish bit in Racecar, but ideally I want to program some drums and record bass as well.

Myspace

BTW guys, what's a good website for putting tracks up on that doesn't require ridiculous detail on yourself as a musician and super complicated signup processes?

dudeskin

Reaction score
soundclick seems the most easy to use from a person wanting to listen perspective.

you given me major GAS over them now too, and i've only read your review.lol.

i look forward to a listen later.

')