NPD x 2: Starting the New Year by Going Small

• Thread starter Bloody_Inferno
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
After building a huge rig, I started toying with the idea if I can build a micro rig with some mini pedals, somewhat inspired by Dave Weiner's mini pedalboard he brought to India for a festival show with Vai.

So I bought a One Control and a Wampler:

25994746_1764692726908203_7251147958290647064_n.jpg

26055946_1764692760241533_8002494463267210724_n.jpg

I did a thread about One Control pedals a while back, a brand I actually stumbled into thanks to seeing a pic of a pedalboard by another Free The Tone artist. Going through their products, One Control have a very similar ethos and product line, which I really dug, but in much smaller packaging, which was what I was looking for. Going through some of their OD/Dist pedals, I settled with the Strawberry OD. It's similar to my Gigs Boson with a ton of gain and mids that goes towards distortion territory, but also cleans up nicely.

I love my delays, and while the Flight Time is my go to pedal to bring around (thanks to the beat analyser), it's too big for this purpose. Enter the Ethereal: a dual delay/reverb in a box. I guess this was Dave Weiner's influence, as it's also his travel delay of choice. There's a hell of a lot of sonic options here, and the quality is up there with the other big units that I own. And it feels nice to go back to simply twiddling knobs than rummaging through menus and presets... then twiddling knobs. While not having a tap tempo option is a bit of a downer, I can't say that I really miss it just yet. Plus the sounds more than make up for it.

Crappy phone clip 1: The Strawberry driven to near max and the Ethereal on subtle single repeat delay with a pinch of verb.

Crappy phone clip 2: The Strawberry drive control turned next to zero and more extreme settings with the Ethereal.

Both pedals are top notch, but I'm really surprised with the Strawberry. I'll definitely be checking out more of their stuff (as their switching systems also look nice). :yum:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
The Lingonberry and Anodized Brown are phenomenal as well. I was skeptical because the AB doesn't have full EQ adjustability. Usually you're just left with whatever the company decides the overall tone character should be for a MIAB pedal, which usually means it's either too bassy (boomy), or not enough and it sounds weak or nasally. The AB seems to be dialed in rather perfectly. It worked well with my Bassman 410, Sky King 112, as well as into a Randall v30 212 with power amp. I'm definitely interested in the others, too.

Last edited:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The Lingonberry and Anodized Brown are phenomenal as well. I was skeptical because the AB doesn't have full EQ adjustability. Usually you're just left with whatever the company decides the overall tone character should be for a MIAB pedal, which usually means it's either too bassy (boomy), or not enough and it sounds weak or nasally. The AB seems to be dialed in rather perfectly. It worked well with my Bassman 410, Sky King 112, as well as into a Randall v30 212 with power amp. I'm definitely interested in the others, too.

:agreed: Both the Lingonberry and Adonized Brown were on my radar actually. It was tough to choose between the Lingonberry and Strawberry as they both sound so good. I settled with the Strawberry as it was sonically more familiar to my style.

The Anodized Brown is one I'd probably get in the future as well. Should I need a higher gain pedal at the tiny size, I'd probably get that on a whim.

The wampler over the keeley eh? Enjoy!

The original Caverns wasn't available and V2 was too big for what I'm looking for. Plus the Ethereal is dead simple to use as well as sounding top notch.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fair! I just like the separate buttons as it has saved me live before.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: Both the Lingonberry and Adonized Brown were on my radar actually. It was tough to choose between the Lingonberry and Strawberry as they both sound so good. I settled with the Strawberry as it was sonically more familiar to my style.

The Anodized Brown is one I'd probably get in the future as well. Should I need a higher gain pedal at the tiny size, I'd probably get that on a whim.

The original Caverns wasn't available and V2 was too big for what I'm looking for. Plus the Ethereal is dead simple to use as well as sounding top notch.

I went Lingonberry, because it's supposedly just a hotrodded Strawberry (IIRC). I loaned it out and now you have me jonesing to get it back lol.

The AB dials back really well, it doesn't become shizzy at low gain FWIW.

And if you're looking to make a mini-pedal board you should really look into L' effects. They are the mini versions of Leqtique, a Japanese brand. I own the L' 10/10, Leqtique 9/9 (bigger), and I have a Leqtique Red on the way.

Note: I've spoke with Jake before, and he feels the full sized Leqtique versions tend to sound slightly better. Probably due to more tonal variety due to more knobs/more tweakability, so you're not stuck with a preset tone. IIRC the 10/10 he thought were similar enough, but the 9/9 he advised me was noticeably different enough to be worth the full size.

cthroatgtr

Reaction score
Funny I have started a mini-board as well. It is going to be my backup since it will be so small. I am still debating mini-pedals vs full size, but in a band context, I couldn't really tell. The Keeley red dirt mini is a nice pedal as is the Ibanez mini tube screamer. I recently dumped the rack and went from 4x12 to 2x12 I think scaling down is in. In full disclosure I did it because I bought a prius and got rid of my truck.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
So I tried to get the most 80s sounding tone I could with these pedals. :lol: Still has a ton of mids on the Strawberry.

I've heard of Leqtique and Shun Nokina's name thrown around from my Japanese friends. I'll have to check them out, though not sure if I need anymore drives in my ever growing collection (well maybe a Klone like the Tumnus would be nice). :lol: I also seem to attract the Japanese pedal builders too. :lol:

Though the more I think about I'm really liking the idea of the tiny board. Not just with the prospect of doing overseas shows happen to be looming, but I like carrying a board that isn't the size of the back seat of my car. :lol:

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
So I tried to get the most 80s sounding tone I could with these pedals. :lol: Still has a ton of mids on the Strawberry.

I've heard of Leqtique and Shun Nokina's name thrown around from my Japanese friends. I'll have to check them out, though not sure if I need anymore drives in my ever growing collection (well maybe a Klone like the Tumnus would be nice). :lol: I also seem to attract the Japanese pedal builders too. :lol:

Though the more I think about I'm really liking the idea of the tiny board. Not just with the prospect of doing overseas shows happen to be looming, but I like carrying a board that isn't the size of the back seat of my car. :lol:

Shun makes a bunch of the Leqtique and L' versions that are total 80's glamrock sounding for sure! I mean.. c'mon... this is Japanese stuff we're talking 'bout here :lol:

Just listened to your clip... oh yeah... Leqtique Red for you in the future I hope :)

')