[NRD] New Rig Day!! Carvin & TC content (56k friendly I guess)

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
So,
After getting my Carvin Quad-X Amp I had all that free space in my 6U rack bag. I added a SS power amp I had for a few years getting dust in a corner, then I got a G Major on Monday :D
I couldn't be happier with this setup, it works really great at bedroom level and is powerful enough for rehearsal and gigging (2x120w @8ohms, I only use half of it right now). I think I'll rehearse with it when I find a FCB1010 for cheap but it'd going to be a pain to lug around :(

PICZ:

IMG_08931.jpg

IMG_08952.jpg

Tell me what you think about it :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I can assure you it sounds insanely great, far better than I expected with the SS power amp really. The Carvin sounds very tight, even if it still got half of its 12 years old tubes :D
I spent a bit of time tweaking the G Major, it's a complex machinery but it sounds very transparent and have a very great EQ and Compressor (super warm punchy cleans, I love it !)
It was quite a bit of money total but it was worth it.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding a cheap power conditioner, like the Phonic PPC 9000 E :
739242_800.jpg

75€

I won't be gigging with it any time soon but as it is now it's a bit of a pain to power up (the Carvin On/Off button is on the back) and the Phonic have lights, I love pretty lights :lol:

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
739242_800.jpg

75€

I won't be gigging with it any time soon but as it is now it's a bit of a pain to power up (the Carvin On/Off button is on the back) and the Phonic have lights, I love pretty lights :lol:

The Phonic is good piece of kit, I have one myself and it works very nicely :)

As for the Quad X, it looks BEAUTIFUL, so many buttons and dials, heaven to me :D

Is it MIDI capable at all?

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
It's really great, gotta retube it with JJs from Eurotubes (they went overboard on this one, it got 9 (!!!) tubes in it :lol: ) . You can switch channels via MIDI but that's about it :D it's just what I need tho.
I think I gotta get the Phonic, it's cheap and it's perfect for my needs :)

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a Bloody Murder from our very own LordOVchaoS :D Basically it's like a (far) better TS-9 :)

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Congrats dude, that looks like a very well thought out rig :yesway:

thesimo

Reaction score
it certainly looks completely bad-ass. It makes me glad my pod doesn't support patch names that long, I would spend half my time making daft ones like that lol

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Names are a pain to edit on the G Major, the lower part of the knob is very jumpy, but it's a common problem on all G Major as I've read.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
739242_800.jpg

75€

I've one of these, also, the samson ones aren't bad either, and have LED lights. One thing about the phonic is that it has bulbs which can go, but no big deal.

Also, rear mount it and it should fit in the same size rack, and allow one more piece of rack gear, like a tuner :)

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
I've got the Phonic, too. One of the bulbs went on its second day, and I'd only turned it on briefly to "ooh" over the pretty lights the previous day.

And fuck yeah is editing patch names on the G-Major a pain. Someone needs shooting for that.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
you crazy fucker!

i demand clips :D

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
Cool man I'ts been a while since I've seen a QuadX Pre... Expensive retube, it has like 9 12AX'7 hahah.... I bet it sounds pretty damn good. You sould find an old carvin FET450 to go with it, they are actually very good sounding ss amps.

Latest posts

')