NSNGD - Not So New Warmoth Soloist finally gets a NGD thread

• Thread starter Louis Cypher
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Hello All
Had this Warmoth Soloist completed since January and now finally taken some pics.
Spec:
Body - Unfinished 1 piece Alder Warmoth Soloist
Neck - Unfinished Warmoth Maple Strat Wolfgang profile
Bridge - Original Floyd (top mounted and blocked)
Tuners - Schallers
Pickups - DiMarzio Super Distortion Bridge
DiMarzio HS3 Neck

Pics first
DSCF0197.jpg

DSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0189.jpg

DSCF0195.jpg

DSCF0194.jpg

DSCF0193.jpg

Ok so I had some parts kicking around that I didn't really wanna sell or go to waste so decided to have a nose on Warmoth see what I could find, and found on special offer this 1 piece alder soloist body which looked gorgeous, so ordered that along with a custom neck to go with the Schallers and Floyd I had already at home. As usual Warmoth deliver top notch parts, I really can't fault a single piece I have had from them. Body and Neck are unfinished and still are. The idea of this apart from using up good parts was also inspired a bit by the Jackson Phil Collen guitars as I think they are stunning but way too busy with all the knobs and shit and the sustainer, so this is sort of my take on a no frills PC1. Guitar is lovely and weighty and the neck profile really makes you dig in and play hard, put 11's on it too to add to the weight the guitar has in sound both acoustically and cranked up. Right now I am thinking of swapping out the SD in the bridge for a more meaty pick up as I am finding the SD a little thin especially in comparison to the HS3 which has a great warm and thick distortion to it. Not sure what I wanna put in yet, we'll see.

thanks for checking out again
cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yimmj

Metalhead
Reaction score
Ohhh that looks so nice! i always wondered how good unfinished wood would be with a guitar, and that sure is nice!

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Cool!

Forgive my noob-ish question but, where is the pickup selector switch?

thanks dude
the volume pot is a push/pull selector so down bridge pull it up for neck. Something George Lynch has used for years. Kinda known as the Lynch wiring

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously digging that!
Maybe think about putting an oil finish on it?

projectjetfire

Guitar Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if this abit obvious but did you order the bits from Warmoth USA?

Also, did you put that together yourself? Thats one sexy guitar!!

s4tch

Reaction score
Nice take on the PC1, Warmoth always delivers. HNGD!

I'm pretty surprised of what you wrote of the pickups though. HS-3 is a low-output, flat frequency response pickup, SD is bass-heavy, fat, high-output pu, latter _should_ normally sound thicker than the single coil... I'm sure you did try to fine tune the sound by setting different pickup heights, so I have no idea why the Super Distortion still sounds thin.

cronux

Reaction score
this is one of the best looking guitars i've seen here on sevenstring.org

i love the simplicity - HNGD!

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Again Thanks so much for all the positive comments
Great when a guitar idea you have comes out great and then gets well received on here, thank you :hbang:
Sorry if this a bit obvious but did you order the bits from Warmoth USA?
Also, did you put that together yourself?

Yeah dude the parts are from warmoth in the states. They are defintely worth it as their prices are really good tbh for the quality and shipping rates arent; too bad from them either. Just remember to add on another 23% to the total cost when you budget for the VAT & Import duty once it arrives. Yes I put theses together myself but when it comes to accurate set up I send it off to my local tech guy. I only do my on set up on any guitar I buy whole, so to speak. One I put together myself from parts I leave the truss rod & neck adjustments etc etc to people that know what they are doing

Maybe think about putting an oil finish on it?
Eventually the neck will but not right now. The body will stay unfinished, its already starting to show changes in the woods colouration due to me playing it and I love that look, the whole Nuno original N4 thing

Simplistic and sexy looks. Very nice, man.. playability is off the charts?
I really can't recommend the Warmoth "Wolfgang" profile necks enough, this is the third I have had and they are so cool to play. Its not a traditional shreddie neck like a wizard obviously, but where as a wizard makes you feel like busting out your best Gilbert or Vai solo, I guess best way to describe this neck is you pick the guitar up and just wanna hit out the Still of the Night riff! Def should try one.

Stealth7

Reaction score
Nice! What fretboard radius did you get?

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
I'm pretty surprised of what you wrote of the pickups though. HS-3 is a low-output, flat frequency response pickup, SD is bass-heavy, fat, high-output pu, latter _should_ normally sound thicker than the single coil... I'm sure you did try to fine tune the sound by setting different pickup heights, so I have no idea why the Super Distortion still sounds thin.

Apologies dude, your totally right bout the Super Distortion itself, this is my fault for not explaining myself in the first place regarding the SD. Obviously none of you here are physic so you would guess what I meant in the OP. Basically its MY pick up that's pants, not the SD in general. Best way to describe what I have from this pick up is it sounds like the pick up is coil tapped and running at about 70% (like I have the volume turned down to 7) its really weird as the pick up has been tested twice and works fine apparently but wired in its not right.

So long story LONG......

Wanted the SD in this as I loved the one in my Jackson Adrian Smith so much and thought it would be perfect for this build. Anyway, put the thing together and plugged it in to find that the SD was really weak and the signal was cutting out as I was trying to tune it up. Checked my ham fisted monkey with a glue gun soldering and I had wired it up correct so I assumed it was a wiring issue or a dodgy pot. My regular tech was away so took it to the local music store to have it completely re wired. He did that said he tested the pick up and it was fine and gave it back, pick up was the same. Gotta love the music store techs! LOL!

So my normal guy came back and took it to him explaining random cutting out and the thin weak sound when it was running Ok. Again he rewired it all as a precaution and also found the cutting was a dodgy pot so swapped that out too. Again tested the pick up and no issues there. So got it back again and sound is ALOT better than it was but I am still left with this thin quiet pick up :wallbash:

I need to change it, and due to the time taken investigating I can't now return it to the shop and get an exchange or refund so I am lumbered with it for now.

Sorry for any confusion dude

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Nice! What fretboard radius did you get?
Thank you! :yesway:

Sorry had to check my Warmoth Order details! LOL!
Radius for the neck was 10-16" Compound. Here's the full neck spec as it was a custom ordered neck.

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Warmoth Pro
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Maple
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: Wolfgang
Fret Size: 6105
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 22
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: R4 Floyd Prep, w/ Mounting Holes