"Nu-metal".....before it was "Nu"

• Thread starter 7stringninja
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Eyeless is one of my all time favorite songs. It just rips your face off, super glues it back on only to rip it off again. Most of the tracks on the self-titled and Disasterpiece albums are like that. Volum 3 is pretty cool, definately a bit of an evolution for them in many areas. I'm probably the only "die hard" Slipknot fan I know that doesn't hate that album....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
nitelightboy said:
Eyeless is one of my all time favorite songs. It just rips your face off, super glues it back on only to rip it off again. Most of the tracks on the self-titled and Disasterpiece albums are like that. Volum 3 is pretty cool, definately a bit of an evolution for them in many areas. I'm probably the only "die hard" Slipknot fan I know that doesn't hate that album....
:nono: Nope. I really like Vol.3 too. I listen to it all the time. In fact, Vermillion, maybe V Pt. 2, are my favorite songs on there, and there the ones the Die-hards, as ya say, hate! :lol:

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
:nono: Nope. I really like Vol.3 too. I listen to it all the time. In fact, Vermillion, maybe V Pt. 2, are my favorite songs on there, and there the ones the Die-hards, as ya say, hate! :lol:

I love Volume 3, I don't think there's a track on there that I don't like. It's just the poseurs who were the hats and the shirts and think they're all metal can't stand it and I can't stand them!!:metal:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Three Dollar Bill Ya'll is basically a rap-influenced hardcore album.

And if you think it's good, you REALLY need to check out this album. "Exposure" was released domestically six months after the LB debut, but these guys had been playing in germany since 91-92-ish, and their american distributor, Victory Records, was at the time arguably the pre-imminent american hardcore label. When you consider LB broke out from the hardcore scene, well, I refuse to believe Fred Durst didn't blatantly rip these guys off.

(oh, and this is one hell of a good album. "Sell Myself" is just a ridiculously good track)

An update - I just remembered Exposure was sitting out in my car. I am administering it upon my computer as we speak. :metal:

thedownside

Reaction score
wow, first i must say, now this board has totally impressed me.. never have a seen a guitarist board talk about nu-metal and it not turned intoa total flamefest!

Slipknot, one of my all time favorite bands. while my band and what i write i dont find sounds like them at all, they have influenced me and my singer more than anyone else. and you guys arent alone... diehard fan here, and i love Vol 3! it's not my fav, but it's up there. Deftones, love that stuff, I wouldnt call deftones nu metal either, but i dont know what i would call them, or what nu metal even is anymore :)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
An update - I just remembered Exposure was sitting out in my car. I am administering it upon my computer as we speak. :metal:
If you like that rap rock stuff, Drew, you should check out Bionic Jive. They have (had?) two real MCs, not some poser like Donkey Durst. A good band (in particular, the song 'Hot Shot City', which is really moving and emotional!

Sorry..., heh. No, the song 'I Shot Lucifer'. I know you like groove influenced music, and man, those guys got dynamics and groove a'plenty!)

Hey! Cool review, BTW, Andrew!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks, Robert! :D

I'm not normally a big rap/rock fan, but these guys do it right. Really, they're a hardcore band with a strong rap influence.

I haven't listened to these guys in a while - killer band. The followup, "3," kills, too - in particular there's this track called "Youth" that could have absolutely decimated everything else on modern rock radio back in '01 when the album came out, had they only been on a label that could have given them a substanial marketing push. And "More" towards the end of the album is just a great song, no matter how you look at it. I have no idea how they're getting the guitar (?) sound that starts that one - picking behind the headstock with echoes? - but it's just such a cool touch.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
thedownside said:
wow, first i must say, now this board has totally impressed me.. never have a seen a guitarist board talk about nu-metal and it not turned intoa total flamefest!

Slipknot, one of my all time favorite bands. while my band and what i write i dont find sounds like them at all, they have influenced me and my singer more than anyone else. and you guys arent alone... diehard fan here, and i love Vol 3! it's not my fav, but it's up there. Deftones, love that stuff, I wouldnt call deftones nu metal either, but i dont know what i would call them, or what nu metal even is anymore :)

Well, we all get tired of flaming nu-metal after a while, I guess.

I'll have to admit that I bought Korn's first three albums years ago. Slipknot was one of those bands that I was like 'meh' when I heard. I could never stand LB in any dosage, but that's mainly due to the morons who tried to get me to listen to them at first, and the fact that I hate Fred Durst.

Bands like Tool, Deftones, and even Orgy pretty much kept me interested enough in Korn, Slipknot, etc. to know what they were about and so forth.

omentremor

this godles endeavor
Reaction score
Slipknot's new album is pretty good. Vermillion is cool. I'd never call Tool nu-metal. I liked drowning pool though. On Descensitized they actually tried to solo.

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not a big Slipknot fan. The only cd I have is Vol.3.
I have every Limp Bizkit cd, up til Wes quit. As for Hed Pe, my favorite song is 'Everybody Dies.'

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i never liked limp bizkit, even the first album. blah :)

but, i do dig Korn's first and second albums (i own them both). and, i really dig the tune Freak On A Leash, but i don't know which album it's on.

however, i'm currently administering Weird Al, so what the fuck do i know :lol:

fono22

Reaction score
I will personally hunt down and deal with anyone who dares to call TOOL NUMETAL. Even if you don't listen to Tool, you have to admit that they are one of very very few bands who haven't sold out to censorship and the man waving the dollar sign.

They have earned all their money through respect hard work and some amazing talent, namely Maynard. They inspire me to be original, unlike a lot of the new generic crap metal that is coming out at the moment.

As for Fred Durst, I hate him and I hate the fact that he thought he was so big and Influential in the music scene. I respect Wes Borland but I also think he shouldn't have gone back into the band with Fred dick head still running things.

By the way, there was a guy on the Jemmer that said that Tool were using 7 strings on their new album... is this true?

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
[action=Toshiro]thinks Godflesh is what Tool wishes they were.[/action]

There was a huge thread where we exhasted all the negative NUmetal posts. Personally, I think there are so many better things to talk about, and listen to, that even thinking about it is a waste of time.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
[action=Naren]disagrees.[/action]

I expected that. Still, I'd rather listen to Broadrick's insanity. :metal: Merciless/Selfless should be required listening, IMO.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
And that's just it. It's your opinion. Tool does not wish they were Godflesh. They are what they are because they want to be what they are. Godflesh is not definitively better than Tool. You just happen to like Godflesh better. And while I do not dislike Godflesh at all, I prefer Tool and I do not think they wish they were any other band.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
As far as "Nu-Metal" being repetitious... come on... we can say that about any music out there. Thrash metal is repetitious, blues is repetitious, heck even classical is repetitious. That's the reason there are genres. So we know what to expect. There are similarities in the music writings within each genre.

One reason why musicians might look down on another style of music is because it's simpler than what they play. People hack on Nu-Metal cause there are no solo's (for the mostpart). Does that mean there's no talent? Nah, I don't think so. While I do like solo's (my favorite being from thrash band Exodus...amazing!) I have to admit I can't stand how with most bands there's a solo in every fucking song. It's like please... here's the part in the song where the guitarists showcase themselves. I feel solos should be there when they fit and convey emotion that's needed to carry the feeling.

This thread is quite interesting and I can't relate to it. When I used to write psychedelic trance music so many people would say, "well... it's not really you making the music it's the computer." And I would respond with a verbal assault, "No, it's ME writing the music. I played EVERY fucking note you hear! I didn't just hit a button and sit back and the computer went to work making me a song!". So even in other genres you get the same type of treatment. Personally I think it's stupid. Seriously. Everytime I see the phrase "Nu-Metal garbage" here I shake my head and kinda think, "Oh... God forbid we don't listen to "real" metal like Nevermore, shame on us". But whatever. Simplicity in music doesn't make something suck. I listen to a bunch of ambient type stuff at times and that is the simplest shit. Usually sustained synth pads that evolve and whatnot.

Another reason why a genre gets a bad name is when it gets flooded with an abundance of wannabe music kids going out and picking up the cheapest $169 Kerry King starter kit forming a band and thinking they're good without ever bothering to learn how to play. :) I do agree that there's little in the genre that I like. I find myself primarily listening to Korn's first album. And yeah Deftones are awesome too. White Pony is my favorite of theirs as well.

Rev.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Naren said:
And that's just it. It's your opinion. Tool does not wish they were Godflesh. They are what they are because they want to be what they are. Godflesh is not definitively better than Tool. You just happen to like Godflesh better. And while I do not dislike Godflesh at all, I prefer Tool and I do not think they wish they were any other band.

And that's why it has a 'thinks' it it. First time I heard Tool, I thought "gee a weaker Godflesh", still do.

Is it so bad that someone has an opinion like that? Does it grate you on some level? Because you don't need to point out that my opinion is my opinion. :scratch:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
fono22 said:
They have earned all their money through respect hard work and some amazing talent, namely Maynard.

Sorry to take this a bit off topic but just curious... why is it that the singer always gets top credit? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Tool. But if you sit, listen, and analyze Maynard's singing you'll find he always sings the same way all the time with very little variance. It eventually gets annoying for me to hear when listening at lengths. The rising falling melody with the little rush out of the last few words at the end of the sentence... it's always the same.

Again, I love Tool and I do really like Maynards singing so I'm not trying to hack on them or anything. I'm just perplexed at why the frontman always gets top credit like they're the most talented member of the band. In my last band (Industrial Electronic) I wrote ALL the music, every part. My singer wrote the lyrics and sang and he was always put up on a pedestal above me. I could never figure it out. I know that's why they call singers the frontman but don't people realize how much more work goes into making the music?

Rev.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'll probably disagree with you, Toshiro, but I'll check out some Godflesh.

As for "not selling out to the man" or anything, keep in mind this is the band that wrote "Hooker with a Penis." :lol: Personally, they're one of my favorite bands because they play absolutely brilliant rhythmically complex textural metal/hard rock. This has nothing to do with if they "sold out" or not, imo.

')