Nu-metal is back- Volumes' new song...

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HANIAK

Reaction score
this song: LLOOLL
can't stop laughing at how bad it actually is!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gio18

Reaction score
Ive always been a fan of nu metal. So this song is pretty good. Although, I can't wait to see what the whole album holds. I also think this one of the more "off the wall" singles

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
I can't believe all the haters on this track. No .... they didn't put out VIA v2.

Even if you don't like the track its hard not to admit that its mixed really fking well. That low end is immaculate.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I can't believe all the haters on this track. No .... they didn't put out VIA v2.

Even if you don't like the track its hard not to admit that its mixed really fking well. That low end is immaculate.

I don't even listen to Volumes OR give a .... about how pristine the production is. The vocals, music, and lyrics are cringy and cheesy beyond ....ing belief. :lol:

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score

Production values don't matter very much if the music is utter .....

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
I disagree that its utter ..... So, that's my opinion. I think people are generally whiners about bands changing and adapting their style.

bhakan

Reaction score
Not meant to be a personal attack on you or anyone else, this is just a general thought some comments brought to mind...

I feel like the use of "you're just mad they changed their sound" to justify invalidating someone's opinion is harmful for discussion. I am open to bands changing their sound, but for me personally, very few bands are able to pull off a second sound as well as they did their initial one. As I bet we all know, creating a unique, well developed style is incredibly difficult and I bet we all struggle to do so within our own writing. It's an amazing feat to create one unique, developed style, let alone create a second one, and many many bands who try to do so fail in my opinion.

In this situation, not only is Volumes trying to pivot to a new style (a very difficult task) but they are pivoting to the most universally maligned genre in metal. I think it warrants discussion whether they were successful or not.

SD83

Reaction score
I'm not too aware of their other records (in other words, I heard a song or two here and there, and then immediatelly forgot how it sounded) Most of the song is... OK I guess. Nothing memorable, nothing great, but far from horrible. Like any random POD song, totally acceptable background music. Except for the rap parts. Those really stand out because they are so utterly bad... Fred Durst playing guitar levels of bad.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Honestly I love this single.

The worst part about it was Myke's chorus and verse. Both seemed a little out of place with the rest of the song.

And I too am for the nu metal/rap metal revival. I LOVE Darke Complex, DVSR, etc...

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
i'm honestly surprised people want to see more rap/metal crossovers. I will admit when it's done well, it works, but very rarely does it work imo.
Like I mentioned in the OP, hacktivist is the only recent band that I can think of that does a good job of mixing those 2 elements.

EDIT: OH GOD THIS IS BAD

Bearitone

Reaction score
I WANT to like Nu Metal so bad. There are so many elements I enjoy but, it seem like its almost a requirement for the lyrics, vocal style, and image to be corny garbage.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not meant to be a personal attack on you or anyone else, this is just a general thought some comments brought to mind...

I feel like the use of "you're just mad they changed their sound" to justify invalidating someone's opinion is harmful for discussion. I am open to bands changing their sound, but for me personally, very few bands are able to pull off a second sound as well as they did their initial one. As I bet we all know, creating a unique, well developed style is incredibly difficult and I bet we all struggle to do so within our own writing. It's an amazing feat to create one unique, developed style, let alone create a second one, and many many bands who try to do so fail in my opinion.

In this situation, not only is Volumes trying to pivot to a new style (a very difficult task) but they are pivoting to the most universally maligned genre in metal. I think it warrants discussion whether they were successful or not.

I agree with this. I was a fan of Whitechapel's change of sound. If anything, it made them a lot more listenable to me since I'm a bigger fan of groove/thrash metal than deathcore. On top of that, groove metal and thrash metal are huge universally loved genres of metal.

Both this and Suicide Silence's new albums/soms are getting shat on because 1) Nu-metal is considered a joke and a punch line these days, 2) they don't sound "different" or "unique", they're rehashing .... from the mid/late-'90s/early 2000s, and 3) ....ty vocals and themes.

bhakan

Reaction score
I WANT to like Nu Metal so bad. There are so many elements I enjoy but, it seem like its almost a requirement for the lyrics, vocal style, and image to be corny garbage.
I totally agree. I like hip hop. I like metal. With the rhythmic nature of screamed vocals and the rhythmic nature or rap you'd think they'd be a great fit, but almost every attempt is just awful to my ears. I liked Via so I hoped that Volumes would maybe be the one to do it well, but... god no (IMO).

I wish someone would combine actually creative metal writing with elements of stuff like clipping, Death Grips, or Dalek. I think the darker, more experimental hip hop style would mesh with metal so much better than the bull.... tough guy stuff every nu metal band seems to go for.

')