Nuclear Warming?

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"Trump says "nuclear warming" is a greater threat than global warming

Elon Musk defended the oil and gas industries in his conversation with former President Donald Trump on X, arguing that a significant increase in carbon dioxide could make breathing difficult but that maintaining current levels of greenhouse gas release will be sustainable for decades.

“It’s not like the house is on fire,” Musk said.

It’s a stunning – if not new – argument from Musk, the CEO of Tesla, who is the most prominent clean-energy executive in the world. Musk said the industries and its workers shouldn’t be “demonized,” and immediate action to switch from fossil fuels is unnecessary.

At the same time, Musk defended his electric vehicle business, which has come under attack from Trump during his campaign.

But Trump said several times throughout the interview that “nuclear warming” posed a bigger threat than “global warming.” It’s not clear what Trump meant, although he later clarified that nuclear power “is the biggest threat.”

Musk disagreed, defending nuclear electricity generation, arguing that its safety is widely misunderstood.

“It’s not as scary as people think,” Musk said.

Trump appeared to concede the point, suggesting nuclear power had to be called something else.

“You’re right,” Trump said. “Maybe they’ll have to change the name. We’ll name it after you or something. It has a branding problem”

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
"Trump says "nuclear warming" is a greater threat than global warming

Elon Musk defended the oil and gas industries in his conversation with former President Donald Trump on X, arguing that a significant increase in carbon dioxide could make breathing difficult but that maintaining current levels of greenhouse gas release will be sustainable for decades.

It’s a stunning – if not new – argument from Musk, the CEO of Tesla, who is the most prominent clean-energy executive in the world. Musk said the industries and its workers shouldn’t be “demonized,” and immediate action to switch from fossil fuels is unnecessary.

At the same time, Musk defended his electric vehicle business, which has come under attack from Trump during his campaign.

But Trump said several times throughout the interview that “nuclear warming” posed a bigger threat than “global warming.” It’s not clear what Trump meant, although he later clarified that nuclear power “is the biggest threat.”

Musk disagreed, defending nuclear electricity generation, arguing that its safety is widely misunderstood.

Trump appeared to concede the point, suggesting nuclear power had to be called something else.

“You’re right,” Trump said. “Maybe they’ll have to change the name. We’ll name it after you or something. It has a branding problem”
My old college roommate's mom once put two Furbies in the back of her Toyota Celica, put new batteries in them, and moved them close enough to each other that a conversation started between the two Furbies.

The above quoted conversation was very reminiscent of the conversation that occurred between those Furbies, albeit less cohesive.

sleewell

Reaction score
Trumps brain is fried from years of snorting Adderall. Musk is a pos who isn't even a father to his kid.

Both got tons of money from their dads and don't have anything worthwhile to add to the conversation

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
Tell that to the Greeks.

1000011002.jpg

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Tell that to the Greeks.

View attachment 148279
And California on an annual basis.

And Alberta last month.

And Germany last year.

And Australia a few years back.

And India the last 2 summers where they reached record temperatures of like 50+ fucking Celsius.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Fun fact: the proportion of CO2 required for catastrophic runaway greenhouse effect is waaaaaay lower than the proportion that would cause breathing difficulties.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
We're going to take this planet for everything it is worth. Every. Single. Thing. The human race is the embodiment of an irreversible process. The only real discussion on the environment is how and who gets paid to do it. Current humans have absolutely no concept of how dementedly decadent our lives are compared to history or what can logically be expected in the future when it wanes. We can sit around blaming individuals and industry all day, but at the end of that day there's a 99.9% chance we'd still be in this exact same situation with them at the wheel because it's a human problem. We keep expecting technology to fix us, when carelessly exploiting such things is the cause of the problem.

If you made people pick between modern tech and the death of the human race I don't think we'd see the sun ever again.

I don't know what this thread is about, I'm just riffing.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I read in history books that there was a time when there were well-reasoned people who had real expertise, knew what they knew, and knew what they didn't know, and thought carefully and patiently before speaking.

Oh look another elitist liberal who thinks education and experience matter more than feelings & facebook research.

Also nuclear energy is currently the cleanest and most efficient energy generation possible in most of the world. Combined with things like solar this would rapidly reduce reliance on fossil fuels - giving more time to shift off them while building out better infrastructure for alternatives.

But fossil fuel lobbies don’t like that.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I read in history books that there was a time when there were well-reasoned people who had real expertise, knew what they knew, and knew what they didn't know, and thought carefully and patiently before speaking.

Ah, my parents used to read that to me at bedtime. I liked that one, and the big red dog one.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Boom. The art of the deal, ladies & gentlemen. That is how you do business 🤝😎

gasolinedreams

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This needs some context, I think.

"Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed but now they are full cities again," the multibillionaire owner of Tesla, SpaceX and X said.

"That's great, that's great," Mr Trump responded.

"It is not as scary as people think, basically," Mr Musk added.

')