Nuclear Warming?

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
We're going to take this planet for everything it is worth. Every. Single. Thing. The human race is the embodiment of an irreversible process. The only real discussion on the environment is how and who gets paid to do it. Current humans have absolutely no concept of how dementedly decadent our lives are compared to history or what can logically be expected in the future when it wanes. We can sit around blaming individuals and industry all day, but at the end of that day there's a 99.9% chance we'd still be in this exact same situation with them at the wheel because it's a human problem. We keep expecting technology to fix us, when carelessly exploiting such things is the cause of the problem.

If you made people pick between modern tech and the death of the human race I don't think we'd see the sun ever again.

I don't know what this thread is about, I'm just riffing.
I mostly agree with you here: I think some statement of misanthropy is true. But I also don't think defeatism is called for. Even if the demise of humans and most living things is extremely likely, there are many different ways to get there. Some are better and some are worse.

We all have a terrible end ahead but there are still things we can do for a least worst end.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
This needs some context, I think.

"Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed but now they are full cities again," the multibillionaire owner of Tesla, SpaceX and X said.

"That's great, that's great," Mr Trump responded.

"It is not as scary as people think, basically," Mr Musk added.

Ah yes, that historic moment when America dropped nuclear power plants on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, who could forgot.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Elon must think this is what cities run on

Why-Fallout-3s-Megaton-Was-Built-Around-An-Atomic-Bomb.jpg

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fun fact: the proportion of CO2 required for catastrophic runaway greenhouse effect is waaaaaay lower than the proportion that would cause breathing difficulties.
Don't clutter up the PR stunt with facts! The Adderall addicts are talking!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah yes, that historic moment when America dropped nuclear power plants on the cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, who could forgot.
I just had an image of a cooling tower suspended between 4 B29s. It was actually kinda awesome. :lol:

Zado

Reaction score
And California on an annual basis.

And Alberta last month.

And Germany last year.

And Australia a few years back.

And India the last 2 summers where they reached record temperatures of like 50+ fucking Celsius.

And south of Italy every single year since don't ever recall.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I mostly agree with you here: I think some statement of misanthropy is true. But I also don't think defeatism is called for. Even if the demise of humans and most living things is extremely likely, there are many different ways to get there. Some are better and some are worse.

We all have a terrible end ahead but there are still things we can do for a least worst end.
Oh for sure there are right and wrong ways to deal with inevitabilities. That's the discussion people should be having. I don't see folks having that conversation, though. Unless something changes with the human race it's still inevitable, but the human race seems to popularly think such a thing will come from outside ourselves in the form of clean and affordable energy.

Imagine a global renaissance where energy can be utilized for free out of thin air. Like magic, because it would be. How long do people think the rest of our resources here would last before we're out of alternatives to alternatives and analogues for analogues? How much completely unrecyclable shit is just trash already? The problem has never been industrial efficiency in reality, the issue is pollution and environmental mismanagement being inseparable from disposable consumption. All the energy in the world won't matter if we're still in the fashion of breakneck consumption. The problem is human self control. Personally I have no faith in us sorting it out, or if we can sort it out that it wouldn't be completely fucking dystopian in other ways because of it. That's all there is to it, it's no single person's fault or responsibility and there is no easy way out of it- nobody is going to singlehandedly roll back the industrial revolution now. People need to stop asking, or at least start asking the right questions. A great example is the Tesla cars. Many folks think they are cleaner, even though manufacturing (and still powering them) them is arguably more adversarial toward everything that makes this planet worth living on compared to strictly petroleum or hybrid machines. Musk is perceived as an environmental luminary, though. What's even more insane is, again, that such things are not even within the scope of the right conversation to have. It's just a veneer for the real criticisms people want to throw at each other because the entire thing has become political. To even address the conversation we need to agree what the reality of the situation is and why so. Popularly it never happens.

I'm not even gonna get too into frequency pollution and how harmful that is as another example, nobody wants to talk about how their cellphones are making them die earlier and dumber. I'll still preach that regardless people would club baby seals for an iPhone these days. Some of them happily. There simply are no ethics as a species to compellingly discuss on the topics of consumption. We can't have nice things because many individuals don't care. They're here for themselves and when they are gone this life won't be exploitable for them anymore, and that is all they will mourn for in the end. They have no genuine concern for life in reality, they almost exclusively concern over objects. They keep friends like wild dogs, and any scrap that comes between them results in a row of sorts- frequently ruining the spoils in turn. They isolate themselves philosophically because their philosophy is repugnant to logical morals, they consolidate their emotional liabilities instead of expanding their ability to accommodate them, and they necessitate themselves within the lives or decisions of others as a form of personal validation. While corporate positions (and prisons) might have a propensity for these types of people, they nonetheless have indoctrinated the globe and have allies in nearly every single household. The tide will not turn, but you do make a fantastic point that it's definitely a good idea to figure out which direction to swim in as soon as possible. I don't see that popularly happening either, though.

Every time someone says clean energy is vital what they are actually saying is they want to throw gasoline on the real fire. It's not vital to make the larger problem much worse, that's not what vital means. It's vital we don't have a giant industrial sized clusterfuck in regard to resources which our species has grown unable to live without for even a day. All the energy in the world won't turn ashes back into trees, not going to make lithium less toxic, not going to make doctors tell you the truth about cigarettes. We have to be really fucking smart for all that. We are not smart, we're persistent.

')