Nuclear Warming?

• Thread starter Randy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Only compliment Elon is getting from me is that SpaceX probably makes a better rocket than Boeing and that he's probably going to have to give those stranded astronauts a ride home. But lots of companies make better flying machines than Boeing right now so it's not a very exclusive compliment.

*edit to say that on second thought they probably don't build a better rocket than Boeing right now, but I think there is potential. I also don't know anything about rockets 😂

Last edited:

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only compliment Elon is getting from me is that SpaceX probably makes a better rocket than Boeing and that he's probably going to have to give those stranded astronauts a ride home. But lots of companies make better flying machines than Boeing right now so it's not a very exclusive compliment.

*edit to say that on second thought they probably don't build a better rocket than Boeing right now, but I think there is potential. I also don't know anything about rockets 😂
They can tail-land a booster. They build a better rocket than Boeing. Again, not saying much. :lol:

Cannibalcricket

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's probably not that dangerous when you have a billion dollar fallout shelter and all the fixins. Seems like these rich guys all want an excuse to go use those bunkers.
Awa, a place to stay
Get your booty on the floor tonight
Make my day
Awa, a place to stay
Get your booty on the floor tonight
Make my day

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

As a space nerd, I can say there's no doubt that SpaceX is dominating the competition right now. I'd say Musk revolutionized the industry, but all the other companies are nowhere near catching up so currently it's [hopefully] pre-revolution, but maybe just dying as SpaceX continues launching more rockets than the rest of the world combined while setting every reliability record and doing it for an order of magnitude less money than anyone else.

So it really sucks he's become so unmoored. It was only like 5 years ago he was proudly associating his companies with the lgbt community, was publicly concerned about climate change, etc. But then his kid went trans and he fell into the right-wing adulation - radicalization spiral and who knows what happens now. SpaceX is a serious company run by a great executive (not Elon), so they're fine unless he gets kicked out of Tesla and needs a new company to fuck.

Edit: Ew this reads more fanboyish that I meant. Fuck Musk, etc.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As a space nerd, I can say there's no doubt that SpaceX is dominating the competition right now. I'd say Musk revolutionized the industry, but all the other companies are nowhere near catching up so currently it's [hopefully] pre-revolution, but maybe just dying as SpaceX continues launching more rockets than the rest of the world combined while setting every reliability record and doing it for an order of magnitude less money than anyone else.
I think the correct take is that Musk was much more like the Jobs of SpaceX, Tesla, etc. than he was the Wozniak.

That's to say, he did less (much less) of the nuts and bolts of the amazing things those companies did, more of the "make this niche thing nobody else is doing really cool and hire competent people who know how to do it". I'd give Musk less credit for engineering super efficient batteries, more credit for "make an electric car that's fast and looks like a sports car" for example.

To that end, there's a stark difference in the trajectory of things Musk has touched before and after he was consumed with "pwning the libz". Look at a Tesla Plaid and a Cybertruck side by side. Look at SpaceX, Tesla, Paypal vs Twitter.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Edit: Ew this reads more fanboyish that I meant. Fuck Musk, etc.
Easy to fix by remembering that Musk didn't personally accomplish these things, he just paid people to do it with his name on it. SpaceX and Tesla aren't successful because Musk is some kind of genius, they're successful because a rich kid living out his 12-year-old-boy fantasies thinks that space and tech are cool. We have these things because one of the richest doofuses in the world wants his car to be an iPad and his vacations to be on Mars.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Easy to fix by remembering that Musk didn't personally accomplish these things, he just paid people to do it with his name on it. SpaceX and Tesla aren't successful because Musk is some kind of genius, they're successful because a rich kid living out his 12-year-old-boy fantasies thinks that space and tech are cool. We have these things because one of the richest doofuses in the world wants his car to be an iPad and his vacations to be on Mars.
Of course he didn't do it all himself, since that's true of every leader of any kind. This is a frequent refrain but I think it's lame. Musk accomplished some important stuff before he went crazy and I think it's fine to acknowledge that. He also wasn't that rich back when it was just him and maybe a dozen employees scrounging together enough parts for a 3rd and what would have been final attempt to get Falcon 1 into orbit.

I don't think the moral here is that Musk was always evil. I think it's that money, power, and social media celebrity are extremely corrosive, especially in combination and especially to those without an established and abiding moral foundation.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Of course he didn't do it all himself, since that's true of every leader of any kind. This is a frequent refrain but I think it's lame. Musk accomplished some important stuff
Unless you know the guy personally, how can any of us vouch for how much actual leadership he's performed rather than just paying the bills? We can't.

But I've heard the guy speak, and he's a buffoon. He has no engineering experience. He has no people skills. He doesn't understand science or software or people. So, without counter-evidence, the best I can assume is that most of his accomplishments were other people's doing.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score

Boeing. The company that brought you the 737 Max.

Rubbishplayer

Reaction score
I think the correct take is that Musk was much more like the Jobs of SpaceX, Tesla, etc. than he was the Wozniak.

That's to say, he did less (much less) of the nuts and bolts of the amazing things those companies did, more of the "make this niche thing nobody else is doing really cool and hire competent people who know how to do it". I'd give Musk less credit for engineering super efficient batteries, more credit for "make an electric car that's fast and looks like a sports car" for example.

To that end, there's a stark difference in the trajectory of things Musk has touched before and after he was consumed with "pwning the libz". Look at a Tesla Plaid and a Cybertruck side by side. Look at SpaceX, Tesla, Paypal vs Twitter.
Jobs and Musk had the same question in their mind.

"What is someone doing that I can use".

Their sole talent.

')